WoW Classic?

11,319 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by permabull
Shenaniganz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since we have a release date for WoW Classic now (Aug 27th) how many of you are going to take the dive back into old school Azeroth?

I am going to definitely check it out and see if it still holds the same appeal for me as it did 15 years ago.

FOR THE ALLIANCE!
Civen
AG
If I still had hours and hours per day to play like I used to, then I probably would. But life is different now, and I don't have the chance to spend the amount of time that early WoW required.
Prime0882
AG
Civen said:

If I still had hours and hours per day to play like I used to, then I probably would. But life is different now, and I don't have the chance to spend the amount of time that early WoW required.
Was thinking the exact same thing. I'm not 23 anymore like when this game came out.
diehard03
I think everyone will be in a rude awakening as to how bad the game was back then.

Well, the private server guys will be happy because the quests and bosses will actually work.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
I started playing just after BC came out. Then I played through WotLK and a little bit of Cataclysm. Haven't played it since. BC was amazing imo and would love for them to have a BC server as well because I might give that a go.

I heard from most people who played vanilla that it was wayyyy harder than BC.

Madmarttigan
AG
I really want to I just think it will require way too much time. I may just do PvP twinks or something.
diehard03
I got into whatever the stress test beta is and leveled a toon to 5 to putz around with it. I can't say it wasn't fun.

I don't buy all the streamer hype though, but it will definitely appeal to a certain crowd. I will be a "it will be what you make of it" thing. If you invite people to groups to avoid KSing each other and make an effort to be social, it will bring back to those old MMO feelings. But I think you will see a bunch of rage quitting when those higher level issues happen like logging in and not getting a BRD group together and wasting an evening not completing a dungeon.
fooz
Quote:

Players are mistaking WoW Classic features for bugs

World of Warcraft Classic's closed beta is now live, and it's not quite how some players remember it being back in 2006. Blizzard has put out a list of 13 features that players are erroneously flagging as bugs, from movement speed changes to missing icons on the minimapall are "working as we expect".

https://www.pcgamer.com/players-are-flagging-wow-classic-features-because-they-think-theyre-bugs/
AG
I'm not much of a gamer anymore but I was absolutely addicted to this game in like 8th/9th grade when it came out. I plan to give it another shot. Will be interesting to see if I still enjoy it when I can't play for like 6 hours per day.

They released the server list and I plan to roll Alliance on Herod if anyone else is playing.
hph6203
AG
fooz said:

Quote:

Players are mistaking WoW Classic features for bugs

World of Warcraft Classic's closed beta is now live, and it's not quite how some players remember it being back in 2006. Blizzard has put out a list of 13 features that players are erroneously flagging as bugs, from movement speed changes to missing icons on the minimapall are "working as we expect".

https://www.pcgamer.com/players-are-flagging-wow-classic-features-because-they-think-theyre-bugs/

Blizzard so petty. Y'all wanted it, y'all ****ing got it, but we're not tweaking it because none of y'all REALLY wanted it.
Woods Ag
AG
I was neck deep in DAoC and never gave WoW a try. I'll think about it.

I reopened my DAoC account a couple months ago and just leveled up a new toon to 5. Laughable how much the times have changed. I was never a quester, so I used to grind out levels by finding a good spot with mobs that gave good XP and grinding for days on end. The downtime is ridiculous but something that I appreciated a bit. Gave me a chance to find a safe spot, /sit, grab a drink
Vade281
AG
I'm in on Pagle/Alliance....Whitemane/Horde.....and Mankrik/Horde
All named Vade
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
Zombie
God that reminds me of the days of playing original EQ. Spending hours waiting for a rare mob to spawn only to be ganked by another player who just walked by
EngrAg14
AG
Zombie said:

God that reminds me of the days of playing original EQ. Spending hours waiting for a rare mob to spawn only to be ganked by another player who just walked by
Or when you just ran back to your body, waited the few minutes due to rez timer from the previous ganks.
Only to be ganked by someone new..
Ah STV good times!
fooz
Zombie said:

Ancient cyclops was always a fun one to gank and let rot.
aezmvp
I'm on Whitemane. I'm excited. I loved it back then, played it at a high level, won't be sinking that kind of time into it but I'll be streaming the whole first week for sure.
Artorias
AG
diehard03 said:

I think everyone will be in a rude awakening as to how bad the game was back then.

Well, the private server guys will be happy because the quests and bosses will actually work.
The game wasn't "bad" at all. It just wasn't streamlined for casual play and some quality of life UI improvements. I am looking forward to it.
Claude!
I'm four years clean. No way am I going back.
HeadGames
AG
I got 3 characters spread out on pvp servers. Waiting for the final survey result on reddit about faction population.
AG
Looks like they just added another PVP server since demand will be high. May switch from Herod to Stalagg.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-wow-classic-realm-opening-today/253667
Post removed:
by user
diehard03
Quote:

Blizzard so petty. Y'all wanted it, y'all ****ing got it, but we're not tweaking it because none of y'all REALLY wanted it.

Not only that, but they are intentionally creating bugs and other "features" like they were 15 years ago...even though they have the tech to fix them now.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Quote:

Yup.
Quote:

Featuring the return of slow travel and a level-60 cap, the upcoming release will be a major nostalgia trip for those who slowly lost all of their friends and gave up on their dreams as they spent countless hours grinding for loot in beloved dungeons like Blackrock Depths or Uldaman.
---
"For everyone out there whose compulsive WoW habit lead to them failing a class in college or getting fired from their job, our faithful recreation of the game servers as they were over 10 years ago will be a real treat,"

https://ogn.theonion.com/blizzard-bringing-back-original-world-of-warcraft-so-1835522916
permabull
AG
diehard03
Quote:

expect everyone to know all the mechanics even at low levels.

There are no mechanics in classic wow.
Prime0882
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

It wasn't even until Burning Crusade that I had "mechanics" or a rotation to use on my warlock. Even in BC it was only sacc pet, curse of doom, shadowbolt - shadowbolt - shadowbolt for a minute until I had to refresh my curse.
hph6203
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

In original, no Molten Core, WoW? No, not particularly, but there were optimized rotations by the time Molten Core came out and optimized gear set ups. At least for the rogue I played.
Grapesoda2525
It's tempting to come back. It really is.

Unfortunately for me, I just don't think my experience would be nearly as fun as my first time around. My guild cleared every raid out there except naxxramas. We killed 6 bosses in naxx before it got too close to burning crusade and people lost the motivation to raid because all of our gear would be totally obsolete in a few months.

I also wouldn't be able to dedicate tons of hours to my character every day like I could back then.
Philip J Fry
AG
Claude! said:

If I was single and didn't care about my job, I'm afraid I would go back in a heartbeat. So many good memories playing that stupid game.

I joined just after BC was released. I spent many months with my main as a lvl 49 warrior twink. Eventually decided to level him to 70 so I could experience the expansion pack. I was big into auction house flipping back then so I always had tons of money. When I was finally at a level to get my flying mount, I bought it straight up. Will never forget my guild members astonishment that I got it so quickly. My only real regret was not doing more raiding...and never getting my hands on those damn silver shell leggings.
AG
They keep adding more servers.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-realms-coming-for-wow-classic/259109
amg405
AG
Been out for 10 years. Life has changed too much.

Amazing game though... one of the best ever.
merc
AG
I remember walking to best buy to get this when it released and playing in the dorms with a few others. I will probably tinker around with it but as others have said time is such a factor(the only one?) in classic and I just dont have as much.
HeadGames
AG
I got 15 days off to use. Taking Tuesday off. Lol.
bbattbq01
AG
HeadGames said:

I got 15 days off to use. Taking Tuesday off. Lol.

Sucks you'll get through the log in queue just in time to log off and go to work on Wednesday.
KidDoc
AG
I played a good bit and overall enjoyed it. Finally beating the Dragon raid (forgot the name) and MC were really fun. I think what ruined it for me over use, aside from burn out and too much PC time, was how quickly the raid level gear became obsolete with a new expansion. I mean the normal little quest rewards were often better than the rare raid gear right off the bat!

Anyway I'm not doing the MMO habit these days. I have free time (empty nest) but I don't want or need to get sucked back into such a major time sink that causes excessive sedentary time and loss of sleep.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.