Remotely accessing a Mac

1,249 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tamusc
FreeLunch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I previously accessed a Windows desktop 24x7 via RDP and also used Duo as a 2FA when accessing the computer remotely. I felt this was a decent solution to cost effectively access a home computer 24x7 and also have extra security to prevent rogue people accessing it.

The Windows computer just died and I was thinking about replacing it with a Mac. However, one thing I would need to do is access it 24x7 remotely. Does anyone have any recommendations they use to do this that is secure and cost effective?
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
RemotePC from iDrive.
Link - Free for a 1 to 1 connection.

Quote:

Which version of Mac OS X is supported for the RemotePC application?
The RemotePC application for Mac requires Mountain Lion version 10.9 and above on Intel processor.

Do I need to pre-authorize RemotePC in Mac OS Mojave for remote access?
Yes, Mac OS Mojave requires user consent for applications to access privacy sensitive data. Hence you need to grant accessibility permissions to RemotePC, in order to remotely access your computers.

To pre-authorize RemotePC,
[ol]
  • Choose 'Open System Preferences' from the popup which appears when you try to remotely access a Mac or from the Apple menu. You will be redirected to 'Security and Privacy' preferences.
  • Select 'Accessibility' under 'Privacy' pane.
  • Click and provide system authentication to allow changes.
  • Select the checkboxes next to RemotePC related apps, e.g. RemotePCDesktop, RemotePCView.
  • [/ol]

Caesar4
    AG
    I've heard good things about TeamViewer (free for personal use): https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/

Other options: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software
    LoudestWHOOP!
    AG
    Caesar4 said:

I've heard good things about TeamViewer (free for personal use): https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/

Other options: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

I have used TV also before i found RPC.
    Both are good for free use, but I have had more random timeouts with TV.
    boy09
    AG
    I've used both Teamviewer and RemotePC. Both work perfectly fine and i believe are both free if it's for personal use and you're only connecting to one device.

We currently use RemotePC just because it's WAY cheaper for user licenses for commercial use.

And just a little tip from experience, Teamviewer will definitely shut down your account if you're connecting to too many devices...
    FreeLunch
    AG
    In this case it's just my wife and I connecting to one home computer. However we would be connecting from different locations. For example, Starbucks or hotspot etc. I called teamviewer to ask them and they said connecting from Starbucks would flag it as business usage. Seems a bit extreme to me as one would think they could tell the difference from a Starbucks corporate employee connecting vs a person using their Wifi
    Vade281
    AG
    Have you looked into google remote desktop?
    MGS
    Apple Remote Desktop?
    bco2003
    AG
    I like TeamViewer
    FreeLunch
    AG
    I might use TeamViewer, but I'm not going to pay $480 a year to access a PC. Through googling, I found a couple options out there. AnyDesk and SplashTop. Both are free or low cost for my personal use, so I'm going to give them a try.

I also saw a product out there called Screens, but had some issues with it. (Could be user error).
    tamusc
    AG
    I've used Chrome Remote Desktop without issues on both Macs and PCs. It's free and works well.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.