Any thoughts about This 3d printer on aliexpress

1,073 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any advice about buying this?
Which model? Anything else I need to pick up?
https://creality3d.aliexpress.com/store/2846085/pages/promotion-20190328.html?spm=2114.12010610.pcShopHead_6431160.2
UmustBKidding
Not sure you experience with 3d printers. Do you have specific goals?
These are entry level devices and work fine as such. Unfortunately all 3d printers are fiddly, not going to work as expected every time, require lots of adjustment and downright frustrating at times. Does not matter if $150 or $1500 printer. Any you get you will likely be upgrading parts, some by printing some by purchase. My BIL has three of these he uses to print a specific part with and they do that fine. But in his case he counts it as a single printer and two spares. Not that they are always broken but he needs one to always be working.
Today Amazon has the sainsmart version of the base model on sale for $179 prime with delivery tomorrow.
https://smile.amazon.com/SainSmart-Creality-Ender-3-Printer-Printing/dp/B07DGV2L8Z/ref=gbps_img_s-5_5baf_d8f2b566?smid=A1KWJVS57NX03I&pf_rd_p=a7e1c818-e7bc-4318-ae47-1f5300505baf&pf_rd_s=slot-5&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=WJ1TY592V9YFB04600S3
Easier returns, faster delivery for not much more.

Duncan Idaho
I just want something to screw around with. More for fun, but the occasional "man I wish I had a bracket to mount this wire" or to make to occasional case for the random Arduino/pi projects

So to make a horrible analogy. If we were talking TV's, I'd be happy with 720i and don't really need 1080p much less 4k.
UmustBKidding
Go for it! Perfect little risk tool to learn and explore. Unfortunately people buy 3d printers, laser cutters, mills and expect them to perform perfectly every time and that is just not in their nature. Learning ways to work around issues and improve your tools by printing upgraded parts is half the fun. You could keep a dozen of these busy printing stuff from thingaverse that would be cool to have.
Average Joe
AG
I have an Ender 3 pro. Highly recommend if you are new to 3D printing. It can make some really good prints, especially in that price range.
boy09
AG
The Ender 3 is about as good as it gets right now for that price range. I've had to stop myself from impulse buying it a few times, because i already have 2 3D printers that i don't use enough.

Most everything i have read about it suggests paying a little extra for the Pro model is definitely worth it. So maybe consider that. Not sure what all the upgrades are, but shouldn't be too hard to find that info. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the base model either.

Quote:

So to make a horrible analogy. If we were talking TV's, I'd be happy with 720i and don't really need 1080p much less 4k.
I think you'll be really surprised by the quality of prints you can get out of these inexpensive printers..
Duncan Idaho
Ended up getting the pro with some extra nozzles and some aluminum parts for $224.
boy09
AG
Nice. It's a VERY popular printer, so there's a ton of info/Youtube videos out there for it.
AW 1880
AG
I'm starting to look at 3D printers. Is this recommendation still good? I probably missed some on sale through Prime Day.
Average Joe
AG
AW 1880 said:

I'm starting to look at 3D printers. Is this recommendation still good? I probably missed some on sale through Prime Day.

Definitely. It's still probably most popular printer on the market. With all of the mods and upgrades people are doing on theirs I don't think it's going away anytime soon.
boy09
AG
AW 1880 said:

The Ender 3 has popped up twice on Woot in the past 2 weeks for $160. Just keep an eye on slickdeals.net, it goes on sale all the time.
Duncan Idaho
Depending on what you want to do with it, you might want to consider a risen printer. There are a batch of them on the market for $200-250
Duncan Idaho
I have had a lot of fun with this printer....granted 70-80% of my prints have been prints for the printer.

But it is cool to be able to think "something that would do x would be great." And then to be able to go and print that thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.