iPad vs. iPad Air?

1,350 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by easttexasaggie04
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thinking about adding a new tablet to my nerd arsenal. I have a $79 Amazon Tablet that my 6 year old daughter took over. They are a great value, but the quality just isn't there IMO. Thinking about adding an iPad for ME.

What are the main differences between the iPad and the iPad Air? The iPad Air has a better A12 chip compared to an A10 that the regular iPad has. Which do you recommend?
rbcs_2
AG
My recommendation is if you aren't getting a Pro then go with the cheapest option you are considering.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Yea now I'm looking at the Pro and I kinda want that one...dang you Apple!!
easttexasaggie04
AG
What are your thoughts on last years iPad Pro model? Looks like you can save about $300.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-10-5-inch-Wi-Fi-Silver-Model/dp/B072V4KTJD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=205DVPW4O1N5O&keywords=ipad+pro+11&qid=1553279650&s=gateway&sprefix=ipad+pro%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-3
planoaggie123
AG
While i sort of get what rbcs_2 is saying....i would lean towards iPad Air if i were you. It will get you the newer/better chip + bigger screen.

If it is going to be purely casual use i don't think you would get the benefit of the Pro but the Air will get you the better screen and chip vs the base level.

Definitely consider refurbished too...
rbcs_2
AG
I haven't messed with the newer Air. I used to test these devices out for work but we've strictly gone to iPad Pros and Surface Pros these days. I will say I didn't care for the previous gen iPad Pro so much. The current model I think is a serious improvement.
planoaggie123
AG
I just ordered the new iPad Pro 256GB 12.9. Getting it through work and had some ordering issues but hope it will arrive in a weeks or two. Really excited. I do think they made pretty substantial upgrades with this newest one but you definitely pay for it and still have several hundred more to spend for the pencil and a case.

For the OP, I would probably lean towards spending just a tiny bit more to get the larger screen and better chip and I think that will pay dividends for years (my 'current' and soon to be kids iPad is about 5 years old so they do last and perform well with reasonable care). Not sure upgrading to the Pro (esp the 10.5 version) would be worth it.
hph6203
AG
My iPad is basically just a YouTube/internet browsing device. I have the 2nd gen pro, but I'd be perfectly happy with the standard iPad for what I use it for.
Stat Monitor Repairman
ipad pro has amazing sound quality for its size.

AggieBarstool
Standard question applies: What are you trying to do with it? No sense in paying $$$ for something that's overkill, when $$ will be a (more) perfect fit.

• If you need a laptop replacement, go with the Pro.
  • If you don't need a laptop replacement (and you're just consuming entertainment), and you want to be able to use the Apple Pencil, get the $399 iPad.
    If you don't care about a laptop replacement AND don't care for writing on it, but want better specs, get the iPad Air.
  • If you want Pencil, specs, and something in a "phablet" size, get the newest Mini (for the same price as the new Air).
easttexasaggie04
AG
I got lucky. My dad got the newest iPad Pro and gave me his old one. He's really into photography so the new one did something the old one didn't. Not sure what.

Question: When I go on amazon to search for accessories, what do I search under? Mine is the previous generation smaller iPad Pro.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.