****Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice****

5,605 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BenFiasco14
Scotty Flamingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else getting this?

I was a bit skeptical about it when I started hearing how it was kinda straying away from the Bloodborne/Dark Souls style -- but after seeing all the reviews I'm all in. I'll probably pick up a copy this weekend!
rangerdanger
AG
Pre-ordered it after seeing the reviews drop. We'll see how it compares to Nioh in terms of the era it takes place in. It looks even faster than Bloodborne. Should be a blast!
spag.ag2003
AG
In - firing it up in about an hour after the final tourney game wraps up.

My love affair with FROM began with Bloodborne, went to DS3 and then in reverse order back to Demon's Souls. First time playing one of their games at launch.
Scotty Flamingo
spag.ag2003 said:

My love affair with FROM began with Bloodborne, went to DS3 and then in reverse order back to Demon's Souls. First time playing one of their games at launch.

Nice! Let us know what you think
TriumphForks
AG
Last year, Bloodborne was my first From game, which I absolutely loved. I picked up Sekiro tonight and have enjoyed it so far. Not sure how it will compare to BB in the end but it is very fast paced and fun. I could see some of the mechanics becoming a nuisance though.
Chase McGuire
Bloodborne is probably my favorite game ever. I hopped in at launch and became obsessed pretty quickly. Since then, I've been deep down the Souls rabbit hole too. Picking this up after work because FromSoft can do no wrong.
nomad2007
AG
I've played through Dark Souls 2 twice, Dark Souls 3 once and Bloodborne a few times.

That being said, I'm terrible at this game. The combat is so different. Gonna be a steep curve.
Scotty Flamingo
Got it. Gonna play tonight
Chase McGuire
Game is great. I feel like I die more because I'm so used to Souls combat. It preys on my muscle memory from those games. Can't wait to keep going.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
This is my first game I've bought from FromSoftware, is there any overarching universe I should be aware of when playing this?
Chase McGuire
Nope, this one is self-contained.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Thanks. This game is ****ing hard.
TriumphForks
AG
This game is way harder than Bloodborne imo but maybe that is because I've become conditioned to BB's style of combat and this is completely different. I routinely get wrecked by some of these mini bosses. Several of the mini bosses have taken me more attempts than Bloodborne's bosses did.
spag.ag2003
AG
Echo what everyone has said. This game is absolutely brutal.

Only about 5 hours in ~5 mini bosses and (I think) one main boss.

The combination of normal attacks you can deflect (with variable timing) and special attacks you can't (that may have a sweeping motion, grabbing motion or thrust and thus requiring a different button press) makes combat very difficult.

Everything feels great though. Butter smooth as usual. Can't wait to explore more.
Scotty Flamingo
I am terrible at this game...and I freaking love it. I'm stuck on Lady Butterfly at the moment...gonna get her though.

My one complaint is silly...but I wish the dead bodies moved around when you walked through them like the do in BB and DS.
Scotty Flamingo
UPDATE: Still can't beat Lady Butterfly
Scotty Flamingo
UPDATE: I DID IT!!!!!!
Chase McGuire
Got past Gyobou or however you spell it. Working my way through the Estate now. Game is hard as nails. The mini bosses have been the hardest part so far. Seems like each one finds a few new ways to murder me.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Do you guys just accept that everyone is going to die of dragon rot?
TriumphForks
AG
Finally beat third boss last night. Took many, many...... many tries. Did not have this much trouble with any of the Bloodborne bosses, save for the DLC.
Halibut
AG
I'll echo what everyone else has said. This game is really hard. Easily the hardest of From's games.

The setting is awesome. The stealth mechanics and the mobility of the grappling hook makes you really feel like a ninja.

I've hit a few walls with the combat so far, but i've managed to break through and learn the things the game is trying to teach me. Getting a death blow after perfectly executing a series of deflections is one of the most satisfying feelings I've had in a long time.
Tex117
AG
spag.ag2003 said:

What an interesting way to do it.

Howd you like Demon's Souls?
Scotty Flamingo
Minor early game spoilers below I guess?

So after defeating Lady Butterfly, I left that memory and continued through the main area. I killed a giant that chained up ogre...and then made my way down a mountain -- where a giant snake was waiting for me. He immediately killed me. Without spoiling too much -- I am headed in the right direction or should I trying heading somewhere else?
Chase McGuire
Keep going. Use stealth, lots of stealth.
Prime0882
AG
Looks like I'll be lurking this thread to see how y'all enjoy it. The premise and world sounds great, but, if this is harder than Dark Souls 3 then I would be screwed.

I never had the patience to beat the first boss in DS3 and supposedly that game was one of the more accessible titles From Software created...
spag.ag2003
AG
Loved Demon's Souls - probably my second favorite in the series after Bloodborne.

The one major adjustment was no omni-directional lock on roll but had already adjusted to that with DS1.

Regarding Sekiro, has anyone beaten the game yet? I'm 18 hours in but have still only fought 3 bosses - I'm not exactly blitzing through the game but haven't gotten too bogged down at any spot.

Great game though - huge learning curve but it's getting fun now.
Tex117
AG
spag.ag2003 said:

Loved Demon's Souls - probably my second favorite in the series after Bloodborne.

The one major adjustment was no omni-directional lock on roll but had already adjusted to that with DS1.

Interesting. Was curious what it looked like to someone who played it last. Demon's is my favorite.

(I played it first).
TriumphForks
AG
I've beat 5 bosses, 24 hours in. Friend of mine is blazing through this game - 2 bosses ahead of me at 18 hours. I've gotten hung up multiple times for hours. My timing is off, apparently.
spag.ag2003
AG
Yeah, there's always a huge variability in game length between players so not surprised - had heard estimates from 15 to 70 hours from reviewers.

Playing this one slow and trying to explore every nook and cranny. Also, I somehow missed a huge section around the castle, got lost and ended up in some areas I'm probably not supposed to be yet.
Scotty Flamingo
Gosh I'm going through this slower than everyone. I spent way too much time on Lady Butterfly. I beat the guy on the horse last night...which I'm assuming I was supposed to fight him before Butterfly.
nomad2007
AG
I love this game so far, but if my character could quit getting teleported into grabs because of the weird hitboxes that would be great.

It's a From Software game at launch, so I came to expect some hitbox stuff but damn...
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Butcher of Blaviken said:

Gosh I'm going through this slower than everyone. I spent way too much time on Lady Butterfly. I beat the guy on the horse last night...which I'm assuming I was supposed to fight him before Butterfly.

You are doing better than me. Do you fight everyone you can? Or are you skipping through most people and only fighting the people you have to?
TriumphForks
AG
Up to 6 bosses down now, 7 if you include one I got a trophy for....technically I killed something but it was not much of a fight.

This game is just full of surprises......
Halibut
AG
nomad2007 said:

I love this game so far, but if my character could quit getting teleported into grabs because of the weird hitboxes that would be great.

It's a From Software game at launch, so I came to expect some hitbox stuff but damn...
There's one early game enemy who is there to teach you how to handle grabs (as well as how to use enemy-specific weaknesses to your ninja tools). But he had one grab that I never learned to consistently handle. He lunges at you from up to 15 feet away, and he rotates to track your position for most of the animation. It's almost impossible to avoid unless you run away as soon as he winds up. And if he hits you with it, it takes 90% of your HP.

The only way I was able to beat that guy was to stay close enough or far enough away that he wouldn't use the attack very often.

He's the one enemy in the game (so far) where I felt relief instead of accomplishment after beating him.
nomad2007
AG
Halibut said:

nomad2007 said:

There's one early game enemy who is there to teach you how to handle grabs (as well as how to use enemy-specific weaknesses to your ninja tools). But he had one grab that I never learned to consistently handle. He lunges at you from up to 15 feet away, and he rotates to track your position for most of the animation. It's almost impossible to avoid unless you run away as soon as he winds up. And if he hits you with it, it takes 90% of your HP.

The only way I was able to beat that guy was to stay close enough or far enough away that he wouldn't use the attack very often.

He's the one enemy in the game (so far) where I felt relief instead of accomplishment after beating him.
Yea I know which one you're talking about.

I would be at his toe after dodging that lunge attack and teleport into the grab. I had to learn to just jump away instead of trying to dodge. Was also happy to get past him.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.