POE power requirement question

580 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FatZilla
khkman22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If a device, such as this LTE Modem, has POE capability, does the power source also need to be POE compatible?

I currently have this ASUS router. If I plug the LTE modem from above in to the WAN port of the router, would that power the modem, or would the WAN port need to have additional power capabilities for that?
rbcs_2
AG
EDIT: I should actually respond in a way to answer your question. I think that yes the device plugged into this modem would need to be able to provide PoE. As such that ASUS router would not do it.

There that's better.
UmustBKidding
I don't know of any home or commercial routers that supplies POE on the wan ports. I suspect they offer this model to support mounting the router in the roof or a weatherproof enclosure on a tower/pole. To deploy in that scenario a POE injector is needed. This will allow you to run only an Ethernet cable to the modem and no power plug needed at the remote location.
flintdragon
AG
I have this one. POE on all ports. But I don't really know that much about POE other than I have an Ubiquiti AP attached off mine.

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-poe/
UmustBKidding
Unfortunately can't tell if they will work together. Ubiquity for years used their own non standards based passive Poe strategy and this router is from that era. The Netgear purports to support Poe but is that the non standard passive Poe, 802.3af, 802.3at.
khkman22
AG
Thanks for the help. My router can't be powered over 12v anyway, which is what I was hoping for in order to have the POE be useful.
FatZilla
AG
khkman22 said:

Thanks for the help. My router can't be powered over 12v anyway, which is what I was hoping for in order to have the POE be useful.
I did this for my POE cameras since my router didnt provide POE. Cheap and effective.

Y-Axis Wall Plug PoE Injector Power Over Ethernet Supply 802.3af 48V 24W 0.5A for Security IP Camera
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ4102S
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.