Roku Live sports streaming

3,434 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sweet Kitten Feet
Ajollyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry if this has been posted before.

I have a roku streaming stick +. Every channel works great except the live sports channels(ESPN, NFL Network). Those two channels after about 10-20 seconds goes choppy like its missing frames. Its terrible. I have had this happen once before with my roku tcl tv, but I somehow fixed it(problem is I dont remember how). I think it had something to do with QoS or something.

My internet speeds are fine, at least when its working(I made a dumb decision and bought a Nighthawk X4S R7800). I am getting about 400 mbps download and 40 mbps upload so I know its not my internet or ISP. I think i have isolated it to either my router, Roku, or the apps themselves.

I have looked all over the interwebs and have not found anything that has fixed my problem.

Anyone else have this problem? Please share your wisdom if you can help me.
Gigem314
AG
What streaming service are you using for live sports?

I found PSVue would buffer from time to time. Got YouTubeTV last Fall and live sports are great.
aggielax48
AG
I have this exact same issue with ESPN app with Roku Premier+. I have not found a solution. It only started for me a few weeks ago. I thought maybe the Roku wifi was going bad but hard wired it and had the same issue. It's fine until the resolution ramps up to Max, then gets super choppy.
aggietony2010
AG
I'm having the exact same issue on my Roku premiere. Highest resolution starts dropping frames. I've got gigabit internet hardwired too. I noticed it for the first time Sunday.
SlackerAg
AG
Have you tried Roku's secret menu screen (using hidden button combinations)?
You can lower the video bitrate to help with the buffering:

https://lifehacker.com/all-the-roku-secret-commands-and-menus-in-one-graphic-1779010902

Ajollyag
If its the 5 home, 3 backward, 2 forward one then yes, i did that one and it did nothing.

It only does it for espn and nfl network. Netflix, amazon, hulu all work great. And im piggybacking off family's directv subscription
Ajollyag
Wondering if there was some sort of roku software update and the apps arent compatible or some bugs in it.
Ajollyag
Gigem314 said:

What streaming service are you using for live sports?

I found PSVue would buffer from time to time. Got YouTubeTV last Fall and live sports are great.

I am using the espn app and the nfl network app on the roku
country
AG
I have three Rokus. ESPN is doing the same thing on two of them. The third one isn't having the issue but it's the same exact setup as the other two.
aggielax48
AG
Anybody figure anything out? Trying to watch Aggie baseball has been brutal.
Ajollyag
Ive tried all the secret menus and nothing has worked. I sent a support request email into roku. Doubt they will help me though.
AustinAg2K
I've always found ESPN to have terrible streaming to all my devices. Roku TV, Kindle Fire, and PC will constantly go from beautiful picture to extremely choppy. It happened when I had Fios, and it happens on Spectrum. I assume this is a problem with truly live events, because maybe they can't buffer as much. Or maybe it's just a problem with ESPN.
aggietony2010
AG
This is not the typical live event buffering.

When it is one notch below full resolution (probably around 720p) it looks just fine. Slightly blurry, but otherwise fine. Then it will jump bitrates to the highest available, and deliver beautifully crisp frames but it's literally dropping like 3 out of 4 of them. It's a super crisp picture, but it feels like a strobe light is on. I've never seen anything like it, except on ESPN app on Roku. I can stream the same thing from my phone and get a perfect picture. It's strange.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Same issue for me. I emailed Roku support and they said I needed to email ESPN support. Did so, and haven't heard back. I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one with this issue. But yeah it's made Aggie Baseball unwatchable.
Ajollyag
It may be a conspiracy theory but it wouldnt surprise me in the least if this was some ploy by espn or suddenlink to get people to go back to cable.
Ajollyag
I love football and all aggie sports, but if its going to be like this, then my weekends just opened up.
dubi
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Same issue for me. I emailed Roku support and they said I needed to email ESPN support. Did so, and haven't heard back. I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one with this issue. But yeah it's made Aggie Baseball unwatchable.
What if you stream it using watchespn.com? Is it ok on your computer?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Yep, I've tested multiple devices. My Samsung TV, computer, and android phone, do not have this issue. It's only on my Roku devices that the issue occurs.
country
AG
AppleTV does not have the issue either. This is not an ESPN issue. It's a Roku issue. I just don't know how to make them believe that.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I actually think it's ESPN's issue, but only the Roku version of their app. All the other apps on my Roku, including Netflix, Prime, and Youtube TV, have no issues at all.
SlackerAg
AG
I think it's ESPN. Even when opening their IPhone WatchESPN app, it recommends using the main ESPN app for a "better video streaming" experience.
dubi
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I actually think it's ESPN's issue, but only the Roku version of their app. All the other apps on my Roku, including Netflix, Prime, and Youtube TV, have no issues at all.
Agreed. I use my Roku for everything and ESPN i will usually just stream from my laptop or ipad.
chigger
AG
I have this problem with Hulu live and my Roku. My solution is just to run it through my chrome cast instead. Not sure which side the issue is on but it sure is annoying.
bobinator
AG
Same thing here only now it's also happening even if I watch SEC Network on YouTubeTV. So far I've only noticed it on SEC Network but I haven't watched anything else on an ESPN network in the last couple of weeks.

It still only happens with Roku. Chromecast and the built in 'smart cast' on our Vizio TV still work fine, but once it kicks up to the highest resolution it drops frames (or that's the best way I've come up with to describe it.)

I actually considered the possibility that it was an A&M issue because every event it happened on was in College Station until it happened at the baseball game vs Kentucky.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Seems a bit better tonight. Does it occasionally but seems like only when going to or during commercials. Picture might be slightly less crisp though.
aggielax48
AG
It was better last night for the baseball game, but was definitely not 1080 resolution. Trying to watch a lacrosse game right now and it's a total blur fest. Hopefully this is just an interim fix. The ball game last night was at least watchable.
OasisMan
AG
ajolly said:

Sorry if this has been posted before.

I have a roku streaming stick +. Every channel works great except the live sports channels(ESPN, NFL Network).
My ESPN-Watch app finicky, regardless if I am on Roku, AppleTV, or the PC

Sometimes I can stream for several innings perfectly, but more often it buffers and freezes every ~2innings
AGBQ01
AG
I had the exact same issue with my roku premiere. I also have a Chromecast ultra, so I casted ESPN from my phone which solved the problem for me.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Still a crappy picture, or has a solution been found? Im about to buy a separate device just for ESPN. Ridiculous that I should have to do that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.