SSD Drive

1,410 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AZAG08
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thinking of changing out a hard drive with an SSD drive. Been reading about it. Attempting to speed up computer.

Pros/Cons?
bigtruckguy3500
The only con is the cost per gigabyte is substantially higher.. Hypotethically, if you use it A LOT, it does have a finite amount of data that can be written to it. But we're talking many terabytes of data. Almost no one will reach that unless they reuse it in a second computer. Other than that, it's all pros.

If it's in a laptop, it'll be less likely to get damaged from movement compared with a spinning HDD.
It'll substantially reduce boot times and program loading times.

I put one in my dad's laptop he bought in 2013. The time it took from when I hit power to when I could open chrome and start typing in a a new web address was about 4:50. It went to less than 45 seconds after installation (not a clean install either).

If you plan on keeping your computer for anything over a year, I'd say worth it. Even otherwise, you can always take it out and reuse it in a new computer.
zooguy96
Ok, that's what I thought. It's a laptop. I've changed crap on my desktop hardware and software wise and figured I could do it (clone the Hd first).
91AggieLawyer
AG
No cons that I'm aware of. Put one in my MBP and my iMac. Soon will put one in my wife's MBP.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
upgrading to ssd will change your life.
kb2001
AG
SSD's at a minimum are a must have these days for any root drive (the other option discussed below). They have a finite number of writes, this was a problem in the first few generations, but not really anymore. A good SSD has comparable life span to a spinning HDD these days

For the past few years, M2 SSDs and M2 NVMe storage has become more and more common for the root drive, these will outperform a SATA SSD drive, but a SATA SSD will still do very well.

A high capacity HDD is still useful if you need a lot of storage for videos or a lot of games, but not for a root drive. Not a common scenario to have internally on a laptop these days
zooguy96
Don't play games. Just MS office, internet, and applying for jobs.
Vade281
AG
It's worth the upgrade.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
dodger02
AG
An SSD is totally worth the extra cost, IMO. I have one in my MacBook and the speed upgrade in launching programs and opening Office documents is noticeable. When I want to open a spreadsheet or PowerPoint or open a video in iMovie to edit, I don't want my computer contemplating it.

I have a crappy Acer laptop, too, with a traditional drive. I hate it (albeit for more reasons than just the HDD). Boot times are ridiculous as is the time it takes to open a simple existing Word document.

I'll never own a laptop with a traditional HDD again if I can help it.
91_Aggie
AG
This shouldnt even be a question these days. SSD should be the minimum to have in your computer. Keep cheap standard drives around for backup though
knoxtom
Really the only downside is in the event of a failure. If a hard drive fails it is pretty inexpensive to recover data, if a SSD fails it involves electron microscopes and engineers. I had a ssd fail and they quoted me $10k up front with absolutely zero guarantees of recovering anything and the expectation that they could not get anything.
95_Aggie
AG
That's what backups are for.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
We use Veeam Agent software to create a backup on an extra drive then restore onto the SSD
so you need
a backup 2 TB USB-HD ~$90
and the 500 GB SSD replacement ~$80
or 1 TB SSD for ~$270

500 GB SSD - Link
1 TB SSD - Link
2 TB Backup USB Hard Drive - Link

I'm sure there are better prices but most of these (2TB & 500GB) should be able to be bought off the shelf.
Pman17
AG
They've gotten a lot cheaper. Highly recommending the upgrade. Will make your laptop last 3 more years.
bigtruckguy3500
Are SSD failures typically sudden and unexpected? Or do you know if they can be monitored with things similar to SMART used in conventional drives?
dubi
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Are SSD failures typically sudden and unexpected? Or do you know if they can be monitored with things similar to SMART used in conventional drives?

I've never had a SSD fail.
Koko Chingo
AG
zooguy96 said:

Don't play games. Just MS office, internet, and applying for jobs.
If that is really all you do, continuously back up your working files via Google Drive, Dropbox, One Drive, etc. to the cloud. They shouldn't take up too much space.

Also keep a copy of your product keys, receipts, etc for the programs you own. You will be able to restore / access any of your files in case of trouble.

If you have a lot of photos / videos you will need a better backup solution because they can take up a lot of space.

--- Good luck on your job search
AZAG08
AG
Those of you that added a SSD to your MBP, any particular ones you like?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.