DirecTV Customer? Here is some free money...

3,100 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aTm2004
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There was a thread on here last year about this, but it's worth a reminder. I just made my annual call to DirecTV to complain about my bill and tell them that Suddenlink knocked on my door and offered Gigabit Internet and 250 channels for $85/mo, so I wanted to cancel my account. They offered me $60 off a month for the next year instantly. I put another reminder on my calendar for next April to make the same call again. This is about the fifth year in a row, but honestly $60/month is by far the biggest discount I've gotten. (My bill was up to $130 with full channels and multiple receivers.)

If you are a customer, call them and tell them you want to cancel service and you're not moving, but you're paying too much and you have a better offer.

(No, I don't want to cut the cord - I really like DirecTV. We are also Amazon Prime and Netflix customers, so between the three we get everything we want.)
cz308
DirecTv will probably play hardball with someone and they will lose their service lol
adamsbq06
AG
I did that for years eventually they tell you to pound sand and you actually have to cancel and go to a streaming service for a few months. but th bright side is you come back as a new customer
unmade bed
cz308 said:

DirecTv will probably play hardball with someone and they will lose their service lol

Yeah, i did this about a year ago and got a guy that clearly gave zero Fs. Transferred me directly to the cancellation folks. I bailed on the call. I think they probably got my account marked now as an easy sucker.
AgPediRPh
AG
I think you got transferred to the Retention department. From my experience, directv will not make it easy for you to leave and will make a lot of offers (usually a discount for a year plus 3 months free HBO).
Flashdiaz
AG
I cancelled dtv via a chat window. Unfortunately it was the best customer service interaction i've had with them.
saltydog13
AG
Tried today. No luck whatsoever
kb2001
AG
unmade bed said:

cz308 said:

Yeah, i did this about a year ago and got a guy that clearly gave zero Fs. Transferred me directly to the cancellation folks. I bailed on the call. I think they probably got my account marked now as an easy sucker.
They don't have a team to handle cancellations, they have a team to handle retention. It's the retention team (also known as "cancellation folks" in this case) who offer you discounts to stick around.
Gary79Ag
AG
jjmanzano said:

I think you got transferred to the Retention department. From my experience, directv will not make it easy for you to leave and will make a lot of offers (usually a discount for a year plus 3 months free HBO).
Yeah, most likely the Retention Dept.

I had called about a year ago due to the increased costs after my initial year offer expired and the RD person offered me a 6 month deal for all channels I originally was getting plus HBO for only $18. Then the next 6 months it would increase to $26. I was getting billed $70 before the change was made with the new offer.

Well. the deal ended last month and I was hit with a $85 bill so I called again and they gave me a $60 credit for the month and told me they could reduce my future bills by $20 based on the current offers that were available but she recommended that I just call back next month to get a much better deal...so, I'm standing by to see what happens. Will update then!

My how times have changed...back when I was at A&M in the 70's, regular cable cost was $4 and HBO cost was $6 so my total bill was $10...
CWIsom
I canceled last year and they didn't even blink and eye. They actually offered me a discount on DirecTVNow
fig96
AG
I canceled a few months back after getting similar discount offers because the service was just generally bad, we got a bunch of incentives to switch from U-Verse and I wish we hadn't. The DirecTV interface is super slow and feels really dated, switched to PS Due and haven't looked back.
kyledr04
AG
I called last week and only got $40 off per month. I got a better deal last year. Now I also have the unlimited plus deal on my phones too and I didn't last year. I need the tethering for work and can expense part of my cell bill. But I also get $15 off dtv from that too. If they raise it more, I'll go to YouTube and Google fi.

If you do truly cancel but think you want to keep it, I've heard you give them a date in the future to turn it off and they'll call with deals. They'll definitely offer alot to come back once it's off but that'll be a lot of trouble.
Shelton98
AG
Tailgate88 said:

There was a thread on here last year about this, but it's worth a reminder. I just made my annual call to DirecTV to complain about my bill and tell them that Suddenlink knocked on my door and offered Gigabit Internet and 250 channels for $85/mo, so I wanted to cancel my account. They offered me $60 off a month for the next year instantly. I put another reminder on my calendar for next April to make the same call again. This is about the fifth year in a row, but honestly $60/month is by far the biggest discount I've gotten. (My bill was up to $130 with full channels and multiple receivers.)

If you are a customer, call them and tell them you want to cancel service and you're not moving, but you're paying too much and you have a better offer.

(No, I don't want to cut the cord - I really like DirecTV. We are also Amazon Prime and Netflix customers, so between the three we get everything we want.)
I had DirecTV for 20 years .... and I really like it too. But I got fed up with all the fees, surcharges, equipment upkeep and outages during storms that I reluctantly decided to try the streaming services. And after 4 months of straight streaming..... I feel like a DA for not leaving DTV sooner.

Go get you a Roku Premier at Walmart for $49, sign up for a free trial of YouTube TV and Philo and you'll never go back to satellite TV. Better picture, better remote, better DVR, better apps for other devices, better customer service......you can literally watch almost any episode of any show or any movie whenever you want.
jopatura
AG
We cancelled for two days and got offered $80 off our bill per month so we went back. We're coming up on the year so we'll call them again to cancel. We don't use DirecTV much anymore so we really don't care if we keep it or not.
chigger
AG
I just flat out cancelled directv and now I don't have to call anyone ever and still save $70 a month.
fig96
AG
jopatura said:

We cancelled for two days and got offered $80 off our bill per month so we went back. We're coming up on the year so we'll call them again to cancel. We don't use DirecTV much anymore so we really don't care if we keep it or not.
$80 OFF? Holy crap how much were you paying?

When you can do internet tv starting at $40 or so per month with no contract I can't fathom how anyone outside a rural area justifies satellite.
Tailgate88
AG
The problem is I live in an old rural subdivision and the fastest Internet I can get is 10mbs.
saltydog13
AG
Shelton98 said:

Tailgate88 said:

I had DirecTV for 20 years .... and I really like it too. But I got fed up with all the fees, surcharges, equipment upkeep and outages during storms that I reluctantly decided to try the streaming services. And after 4 months of straight streaming..... I feel like a DA for not leaving DTV sooner.

Go get you a Roku Premier at Walmart for $49, sign up for a free trial of YouTube TV and Philo and you'll never go back to satellite TV. Better picture, better remote, better DVR, better apps for other devices, better customer service......you can literally watch almost any episode of any show or any movie whenever you want.

The problem with having both YouTube and Philo TV is that it's more expensive than what I'm currently paying for Directv.
aTm2004
AG
I got tired of calling to negotiate a lower bill. I told them to pound sand and went with PSVue 18 months or so ago. Pay $54 all in and can watch on several TV's or remotely without having to rent their chitty equipment.
fig96
AG
saltydog13 said:

Shelton98 said:

Tailgate88 said:

The problem with having both YouTube and Philo TV is that it's more expensive than what I'm currently paying for Directv.
Do some looking around, you can probably find the combination of networks you want in another service. We went PS Vue and the only thing I'm lacking is Comedy Central.
saltydog13
AG
Unfortunately not. To get all the necessary channels it would require YTTV and Philo
fig96
AG
saltydog13 said:

Unfortunately not. To get all the necessary channels it would require YTTV and Philo
To each their own. For the savings I was fine sacrificing a channel or two, can always drop $20 for a season for a particular show you might want to watch.
Ag with kids
AG
unmade bed said:

cz308 said:

You WANT to go to customer retention.

That first guy can't offer ***** CR can give you the real goodies.

I did this every year myself. Just called and asked for customer retention right away. I was even honest with them the last few times and just told them I wanted free stuff. They laughed and gave me discounts anyways.
fig96
AG
Yup, I got a permanent $20 discount on AT&T Fiber on my last call. Super nice salesperson in Boise that I chatted with about beer and coffee for 20 minute actually.
Shelton98
AG
saltydog13 said:

Shelton98 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Well, your situation is obviously much different than mine. I was paying $180/mo for DTV when I cancelled. Now, I did have a Genie and 4 wireless sub-genies, regional sports package and whatever other BS fees they piled in there. When I cancelled, they offered to take $60/mo off my bill and give me the NFL Redzone package for free for a year. I couldn't give 2 ****s about the NFL... and $60 off my bill would still have been double what I pay for YTTV + Philo.
jopatura
AG
fig96 said:

jopatura said:

$80 OFF? Holy crap how much were you paying?

When you can do internet tv starting at $40 or so per month with no contract I can't fathom how anyone outside a rural area justifies satellite.

We never paid more then $40-$50 with the promotions they had running. We're paying about $17/mo right now. The discount line reads "Save $80 for 12 months."
Canyon99
What kind of internet packages do y'all have for streaming? Also, I guess your not using WiFi for connectivity to the TVs?
Shelton98
AG
Canyon99 said:

What kind of internet packages do y'all have for streaming? Also, I guess your not using WiFi for connectivity to the TVs?
I live in the sticks in East Texas, but got lucky when a rural internet provider ran fiber through here a year ago and offered free hook ups. My plan is 50 down/50 up with unlimited data. We have 4 Roku's, 4 cell phones, 1 tablet, and 1 PlayStation (all on wifi) and have never had any issues streaming.
aTm2004
AG
Canyon99 said:

400 MBS internet with unlimited. Run via FireTV.
fig96
AG
Canyon99 said:

AT&T Fiber 300, have run wifi to streaming devices before with no issues.
bac
AG
I tried the PS Vue free trial and now I'm on the YouTube TV/Philo combo free trial. Gotta get rid of DTV ($175/month).

As far as how long recordings last on the virtual DVR, am I right that they last 28 days w/ PS Vue? Not that big of a deal since you can usually go back earlier in the season and stream an episode, right? So who cares if it's on your DVR or not -- right?

My main question is about YouTube TV's DVR. In one email, they said programs last "up to" 9 months. In another, they said they "last 9 months." Nice job, guys -- which is it? However, I've noticed that some things I've recorded say they'll expire in April...even some in March!

Can anyone provide any insight here???
Shelton98
AG
bac said:

I tried the PS Vue free trial and now I'm on the YouTube TV/Philo combo free trial. Gotta get rid of DTV ($175/month).

As far as how long recordings last on the virtual DVR, am I right that they last 28 days w/ PS Vue? Not that big of a deal since you can usually go back earlier in the season and stream an episode, right? So who cares if it's on your DVR or not -- right?

My main question is about YouTube TV's DVR. In one email, they said programs last "up to" 9 months. In another, they said they "last 9 months." Nice job, guys -- which is it? However, I've noticed that some things I've recorded say they'll expire in April...even some in March!

Can anyone provide any insight here???
IDK, but I started YTTV on December 1.... and I just looked at my library and I'm 95% certain that everything I've recorded is still there.
rynning
AG
If you really want to cancel DirecTV completely without the hassle, just tell them you're moving out of the country. Have a backstory ready in case they're curious...
fig96
AG
Seems like it on PS Vue, just about everything I record gives me an option to either watch my DVR version or watch it on demand.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

I've had Vue for about a year and a half now and am not sure how long they're on the DVR. One thing I've noticed is that after a week or so, a show I've recorded becomes on demand once the network puts it there. It's a bit annoying because you have to watch commercials, but if you watch multiple episodes in a row, the commercials are less and less and eventually become commercial free. I've also found on demand episodes to have a better picture quality than what's on the DVR.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.