SBG6900-AC: USB MEDIA SHARING

2,313 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UmustBKidding
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well I have failed at this and need your help!

Network setup:
SBG6900-AC surfboard cable modem/router with wifi disabled. DCHP is 192.168.0.xxx
Orbi wireless router with satellite using 192.168.1.1

I plugged in a WD Easystore 8gb hard drive into the usb slot on the surfboard modem per the manual.
It says the address will be https://192.168.0.252/.

I can't see it on my computer connected via orbi wireless! IP range is an issue i bet....

Help!
UmustBKidding
Typically its a bad idea to run NAT router in series, which I suspect you are doing but may not be what is causing this issue. First can you ping the address of the samba endpoint 192.168.0.252? How about if you connect with an old fashioned wire plugged directly into one of the ethernet ports on the Surfboard?
NO ping no chance of working.
What constitutes not working, can't see the share? If pings try to browse it by ip address \\192.168.0.252 in the start menu box or in file explorer.
dubi
AG

Quote:

Typically its a bad idea to run NAT router in series, which I suspect you are doing but may not be what is causing this issue.

Not going to argue that point. We could not get wireless on both ends of our big house, so i gave up and bought an Orbi which i love. Problem was we insulated the interior walls.

Quote:

How about if you connect with an old fashioned wire plugged directly into one of the ethernet ports on the Surfboard?
wired laptop directly to surfboard. can see "arris - mediashare".

Quote:

What constitutes not working, can't see the share?

Could not see the share. I have an old netgear NAS (wired ethernet) that shows up in "my network locations" and I assumed that I'd see this new one in the same place.

Quote:

If pings try to browse it by ip address \\192.168.0.252 in the start menu box or in file explorer.

/edit ping can't find host
dubi
AG
So i think the problem is that the surfboard and the orbi are different subnets.

I thought this might be a problem months ago, but pretty well forgot about it until today. Everything is wired downstream of Orbi EXCEPT this damn usb network drive.

The designers of Orbi didn't think we would want a usb drive.
UmustBKidding
So here is how I usually cheat in cases like this. Unfortunately the cheat is slightly less than Ideal since you need the Surfboard to be an endpoint to make its samba endpoint accessible. So you will end up using the Surfboard as the router and the Orbi as the Access points. You will need to determine how to disable the DHCP server on the ORBI and how to change its LAN address to match the LAN subnet on the Surfboard. You will want to turn off the DHCP server on the Orbi, Set the Orbi Lan address to an address outside the Surfboards dhcp range (remember it for future use) and then connect a cable between the surfboard and a LAN port on the ORBI. The Orbi WAN port will not be used.
Once this is done if you release/renew your DHCP lease you should get a new address from the Surfboard (192.168.0.X) and things show work normally.
Of course this is potentially fraught with peril, (not really) but just makes things hard to understand if someone that is unfamiliar with this hack runs into it.

dubi
AG
UmustBKidding said:

So here is how I usually cheat in cases like this. Unfortunately the cheat is slightly less than Ideal since you need the Surfboard to be an endpoint to make its samba endpoint accessible. So you will end up using the Surfboard as the router and the Orbi as the Access points. You will need to determine how to disable the DHCP server on the ORBI and how to change its LAN address to match the LAN subnet on the Surfboard. You will want to turn off the DHCP server on the Orbi, Set the Orbi Lan address to an address outside the Surfboards dhcp range (remember it for future use) and then connect a cable between the surfboard and a LAN port on the ORBI. The Orbi WAN port will not be used.
Once this is done if you release/renew your DHCP lease you should get a new address from the Surfboard (192.168.0.X) and things show work normally.
Of course this is potentially fraught with peril, (not really) but just makes things hard to understand if someone that is unfamiliar with this hack runs into it.

I actually get this.... My old access point was a router that had been disabled.

The problem is that I tried it when I first got the Orbi and it the interface was buggy. I wanted to disable dhcp on the Orbi and hardcode the 2 devices outside the surfboard range and was unsuccessful. I could not get the subnet on the orbi to change and tried multiple times.

Maybe I'll try again another day. I'm tired of carrying the 8gb drive from computer to computer.

Thanks!
UmustBKidding
Ok it looks like you can set your Orbi into "Access point" mode.
Looks pretty straight forward:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=orbi+access+point+mode

dubi
AG
UmustBKidding said:

That is exactly what I want.

I'll try tomorrow and provide an update!
UmustBKidding
And upgrade that had drive to 8TB. 8GB is like a floppy drive today.
dubi
AG
UmustBKidding said:

And it worked! It was as easy as the youtube video.

Thank you!

UmustBKidding
Congrats, I hate connections with multiple layers of nat. So many strange and unexplained network issues.
dubi
AG
Just another thank you for making my life easier at home. I just responded to another Orbi thread, but i think you are much more of an expert.
UmustBKidding
you do far more around here than I do, but glad its still working. Don't talk to loud the surfboard may be listening.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.