App to manage gmail

1,945 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OldArmyBrent
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So inbox is going away, and I hate Gmail. Not enough to migrate to a new address, mind you. I just hate the app. Labels suck. That you can't sort by sender is maddening.

Any good email clients out there on android to manage Gmail?
Civen
AG
Search sender
"from: email@address.com in: inbox"
CapCity12thMan
AG
why do labels "suck" and why do you need to sort by sender. If you are looking for emails by sender just search using from: as mentioned in prev post.
MW03
AG
Guess I'm lazy, but I like the functionality of a full service client being able to click a header and quickly sort by sender, date, etc. I don't like having to hover over the name, get the email address, copy it and then type in a search string to bring them up. What I liked about inbox was that it sorted stuff for me and I could do bulk operations with a touch instead of having to select individual messages (or the search bar, then select all, then my action).

Maybe this client just doesn't exist in app format and I need to make my peace with it.
hatchback
AG
Outlook?

Not sure if they have an Android app, though.
TMoney2007
AG
MW03 said:

Guess I'm lazy, but I like the functionality of a full service client being able to click a header and quickly sort by sender, date, etc. I don't like having to hover over the name, get the email address, copy it and then type in a search string to bring them up. What I liked about inbox was that it sorted stuff for me and I could do bulk operations with a touch instead of having to select individual messages (or the search bar, then select all, then my action).

Maybe this client just doesn't exist in app format and I need to make my peace with it.
I've never seen the need to "manage" messages in email so much. Its so easy to search for anything I'm looking for, its a waste of time to come up with some organization system that I have to maintain.

if you start typing the email address of a person you have conversed with before, it will autofill and searching for it will bring up all the messages with them. You can search for anything want and if you can find anything you want across the entire internet, you should be able to find a message you're looking for in your email.

What organization system do you have to have?
Jethro95
AG
Let me know what you find because I'm in the same boat. The things I am used to doing with 1 swipe and a tap in Inbox take 5 and 6 steps in the Gmail app for iOS.
zurcaled11
AG
Is there a way in gmail app to archive entire mail categories (promos, updates, etc.)?
TMoney2007
AG
zurcaled11 said:

Is there a way in gmail app to archive entire mail categories (promos, updates, etc.)?
Search for whatever you want. Click the select all button and then do whatever action you want. If you need to do more than one screen, an option comes up after you click select all to "select all conversations that match this search"
Col. Steve Austin
AG
hatchback said:

Outlook?

Not sure if they have an Android app, though.
The answer is Yes regarding Outlook on Android!
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
ATL Aggie
AG
MW03 said:

So inbox is going away, and I hate Gmail. Not enough to migrate to a new address, mind you. I just hate the app. Labels suck. That you can't sort by sender is maddening.

Any good email clients out there on android to manage Gmail?
Labels are great! Create a rule that assigns a "name label" and search by label.
Sazerac
AG
The labels on gmail suck because of the following
- they arbitrarily label certain things into their four main default categories (social, promotion, updates, forums)
- even if you label something to one of your own customs, they still may show up in one of these 4 as well. That makes it impossible to just go delete the contents of these 4.
- I've tried just using folder. But if you put a thread in a folder and there is a response, it goes back into your inbox. If you don't move it back, and instead just Archive, it is now in gmail ether (archive) and not in your folder. Even if you also use a Label, it is still in the ether.

I find the whole experience completely terrible for actually keeping things organized. So many times I go back to find something that should be labeled or in a folder and it's gone.

But, I'm not getting rid of the @gmail so I have to live with it....
kb2001
AG
Agreed that is annoying. What you're describing is really a problem with the categories (previosuly known as SmartLabels), not necessarily the labels. Labels are fantastic, and was a huge game changer with email. The categories are particular labels they apply automatically to your emails. I wish you could disable categories completely, but there is no option to disable SmartLabels, only whether to show or hide a category tab on the main page. It will still categorize them

I used to have quite a few labels sorting my email. When the categories "feature" came out I kind of gave up on it and trimmed my own labels back quite a bit. Really irritating that this can't be disabled

Sully
AG
I use Mozilla Thunderbird to clean up and manage Gmail...works great!

Edit: sorry, missed the "android" part. Agree with poster below on nine...use it for work and it is awesome!
VincentBlack
Regardless of who hosts your mail, NINE (9folders.com) is the best mail client I have found for Android. I have a lot of mail and didn't mind paying for a robust mobile client.
agracer
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

why do labels "suck" and why do you need to sort by sender. If you are looking for emails by sender just search using from: as mentioned in prev post.
because the search doesn't always work.

I can't count the number of times I've searched for a specific user by e-mail address that I know I've gotten an email from, and it does not turn up in the search results.

But when I start to scroll through my inbox I eventually find it from the user I just searched for (and their email is exactly what I just searched for).

I've even used words I know were in the e-mail title, same non-results.
OldArmyBrent
AG
It's better than Lotus Notes. Use that as your bar and everything will be adequate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.