Any laptop advise..

1,541 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 03_Aggie
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We recently moved to a new area and had to go from a 4 bedroom home to a 3 bedroom duplex for about at least the next year. With 3 kids under 5 and no formal office we are thinking about just buying a quality laptop to use on the counter or couch when/as needed.

Features needed- WiFi capable, blue tooth to a printer.
Main usage - various web functions (browsing, billnpay, shopping). Able to run office programs (word, excel). Store kids pictures and store music and use to backnup Iphones.

No gaming, streaming or any high speed needs. Would love a Mac book, but that is way out of our price range. Thinking $400-$750 is a good range?

Any recommendations of brand/type and place to purchase from?

Thanks
eric76
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

We recently moved to a new area and had to go from a 4 bedroom home to a 3 bedroom duplex for about at least the next year. With 3 kids under 5 and no formal office we are thinking about just buying a quality laptop to use on the counter or couch when/as needed.

Features needed- WiFi capable, blue tooth to a printer.
Main usage - various web functions (browsing, billnpay, shopping). Able to run office programs (word, excel). Store kids pictures and store music and use to backnup Iphones.

No gaming, streaming or any high speed needs. Would love a Mac book, but that is way out of our price range. Thinking $400-$750 is a good range?

Any recommendations of brand/type and place to purchase from?

Thanks
My preferences for laptops is to just buy a good used/refurbished laptop that has come off of a corporate lease.

I bought my current Lenovo laptop about four years ago from Discount Electronics in Austin and am quite happy with it. https://www.discountelectronics.com. It was something like two years old for $250 and with a one year warranty.
eric76
AG
By the way, I helped a friend of mine buy a Mac laptop from Discount Electronics for about $300 a couple of years ago for her to use in Dallas while her husband underwent and recovered from a kidney transplant.

With Mac laptops, you often have to wait a bit for them to get some in since they don't always have them in stock.

I just looked at their site. They currently have a number of used MacBooks from $300 to $500.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
How difficult is the set up on these?

Ideally would like something we can just turn on and be ready to go.

Looking at this one specifically.

https://www.discountelectronics.com/apple-macbook-a1342-unibody-core-2-duo-13-mc516ll-a/
Wildmen03
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

https://www.discountelectronics.com/apple-macbook-a1342-unibody-core-2-duo-13-mc516ll-a/

I've got one that's a year older with a 128gb ssd and 8gb of ram that I'd sell for $100. It doesn't like to wake up from sleep mode but it's a fine laptop otherwise. Not sure I'd use it as a primary though.
eric76
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

I sent an e-mail to the woman I know who bought a MacBook on Discount Computers. If I haven't heard anything by tomorrow, I'll call her and ask. I'll let you know what she has to say about it.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I have bought a few MacBookAirs from these folks with good results. Every MBA I ordered had dents in the aluminum chassis in the corners but have worked well.
iTech Deals Mac Book Air i5-4260u 13" 8GB 256GB

I believe this is real close to the ones I ordered.
Mac Book Air i5-4250u 11.6" 4GB 128GB

YMMV
eric76
AG
eric76 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

I sent an e-mail to the woman I know who bought a MacBook on Discount Computers. If I haven't heard anything by tomorrow, I'll call her and ask. I'll let you know what she has to say about it.
She just said that it works great and she's still using it.

I think that she set it up by herself without any problems.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Thanks for help.
eric76
AG
Also, if you live in or near Austin, they have three storefronts:

1011 W Anderson Lane, Austin
9711 Manchaca Road, Austin
1001 South IH-35, Round Rock

I haven't been to any of their store fronts to see how they are.
JSKolache
AG
Amazon warehouse deals is your friend.
OldArmyBrent
AG
See discounted Discount Electronics gift card listed in this forum. Everybody wins!
Aggieangler93
AG
If you are looking at Discount Electronics, I have a big gift card (over $600) from a return I made after Christmas. I would be willing to meet you there, and buy your item with my gift card, and you could give me 80% of the amount in cash? That gets you an extra 20% off their prices. Or you could just buy the gift card from me if you like.

All their machines have a 1 year warranty.

Just thought I would offer you the option. I am worried I am going to lose the gift card before I use it all up.

It's also possible that the extra 20% savings could help you get into a nicer class laptop.

If this is of interest, email me at rangershardballfan at geeee male. If not, no worries, and good luck with whatever option you choose.

Here's my classifieds ad:
https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3011080
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks for the ad!

I hope I can help someone and we can help each other.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

If you are looking at Discount Electronics, I have a big gift card (over $600) from a return I made after Christmas. I would be willing to meet you there, and buy your item with my gift card, and you could give me 80% of the amount in cash? That gets you an extra 20% off their prices. Or you could just buy the gift card from me if you like.

All their machines have a 1 year warranty.

Just thought I would offer you the option. I am worried I am going to lose the gift card before I use it all up.

It's also possible that the extra 20% savings could help you get into a nicer class laptop.

If this is of interest, email me at rangershardballfan at geeee male. If not, no worries, and good luck with whatever option you choose.

Here's my classifieds ad:
https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3011080

Thanks for the offer. i Wish I was in the Austin area and could meet you there as I would take you up on the offer. We are in east Texas and don't get down to Austin.
Aggieangler93
AG
I understand. Sorry I couldn't help, and good luck with your search!
bullard21k
AG
I just got a Lenovo thinkpad and the docking stations have changed. Running around 350$.

Anybody know where I could get a used docking station or where I could even shop prices for new ones? Not seeing a ton of info online
Redstone
AG
I have an HP that works pretty good
03_Aggie
bullard21k said:

I just got a Lenovo thinkpad and the docking stations have changed. Running around 350$.

Anybody know where I could get a used docking station or where I could even shop prices for new ones? Not seeing a ton of info online

Have you looked at Plugable? Thy make a universal docking station for each USB type. Model runs right around $100 and the USB-c version is right around $200.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.