doorbell camera?

1,815 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bryan98
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for something easy to set up without a monthly service fee. Anyone have a system that they like?
johnrth
The ring doorbell basic price is like $30 for the year I believe.
sornman
I recently got the Nest Hello and it was pretty easy to set up. There isn't a monthly fee unless you want some fancier features/longer storage times. I chose the Nest because I use several Google products, as opposed to Ring and Amazon.
John Beckwith
AG
If you go with Nest make sure you have the proper wiring.
cz308
Ring is has a free service also. Super easy install.
Z100
AG
I just installed Ring. first 30 days of stored recordings are free then you can pay $3/mo or $30/year to access past 7 days of recordings. Is there a free storage option that I missed?
jagouar1
AG
I opted to just do a regular camera that "watches" the door rather than get a doorbell camera. Has the added benefit of watching my driveway as well as the door. I went with the blink cameras and have been very pleased with the result.
Goldie Wilson
Happy with our Ring. Install took 10 mins (we have the battery powered version), and video quality is solid. Annual service fee is nominal.
kyledr04
AG
I have this one from Nellys. The app can be a little funky. But there's no monthly fee.

https://www.nellyssecurity.com/nsc-db1-onvif-compatible-wifi-doorbell-1080p-ip-camera.html
Gig-Em2003
AG
Nest has been great so far.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Nest is much better quality than Ring
bbattbq01
AG
I just got a nest hello after reading the thread a couple weeks ago on here. Like that it is always recording.
aTm2004
AG
I have a SkyBell (Honeywell) and it has 7 days of free storage. If something happens, saving it to your phone is simple.
agdoc2001
AG
Id avoid the Ring for now.

https://www.slashgear.com/leak-claims-ring-staff-had-unfettered-access-to-unencrypted-videos-10561255/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old School Brother
I'd agree for indoor cams, but why would anyone care about someone in the ukraine having access to videos of amazon delivering packages to their front door?
fav13andac1)c
AG
I have the ring security alarm and plan on installing a camera when they go on sale. I love the fact that I can have all security measures for my home(alarm, camera(s), smoke/carbon monoxide detectors), all in one app and controllable via Alexa.
HECUBUS
AG
SkyBell for about a year now. Works great, put it on motion detect around Christmas package delivery time.
agdoc2001
AG
Old School Brother said:

I'd agree for indoor cams, but why would anyone care about someone in the ukraine having access to videos of amazon delivering packages to their front door?
Oh so I guess you don't ever knock on the door and surprise your wife with your nudity? Get off your high horse.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
sdc177
AG
Sorry to hijack but I have around 10 wifi cams of several brands (Foscam, Yi, Zmodo) that I would like to tie together in one interface that I can access via iOS, Android and Windows without spending much or preferably spending $0. I'd like to store at least a week of motion detected video/pictures somewhere. What are my options? Right now it is a pain to go to each app and I don't want to pay fees to each company for cloud service.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Skybell here. No major complaints other than it didn't like my wifi extender when I was with my previous cable company for some reason. Works fine now though.
UmustBKidding
Probably do that with zone minder and a cast off pc running Linux. Supports a lot. Of. Different cameras
aTm2004
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

Skybell here. No major complaints other than it didn't like my wifi extender when I was with my previous cable company for some reason. Works fine now though.
I'm sure this isn't unique to Skybell as I read similar things about Ring when I was having my issue. I installed mine and it would connect and upload motion but I couldn't pull up live view on anything higher than 480. Eff that. Considering my router is on the other side of the house, no biggie, I bought a WiFi extender and placed it on an outlet inside that was literally 4 direct feet to the doorbell. Granted, it was going through brick, but 4 feet. It was still doing the same thing. Could pull up 480 but nothing better. I decided to deal with it for a while because I was contemplating a mesh system and didn't want to return that only to have the Ring do the same.

FF a few weeks and I'm in the game room upstairs and put a TV and Fire Stick in there for the kids to watch their shows and movies. I couldn't get a good signal to it from my router so I decided that since the extender was useless for the doorbell that I would put it upstairs on an outlet in the landing. Connected the Fire Stick and it works great. For giggles, I tried the doorbell and now it has a great signal and I can pull up live view in 1080. It's been over a month and still working great.
GoAgs92
AG
Skybell HD works great.

easy to install, did it in about 10 minutes tops.

gets stolen, they'll replace if for free.

MexAg05
AG
Anyone have the SimpliSafe version?
Bryan98
AG
We have a Ring. It's not super reliable; falls off the network all the time. I did like another poster and put a wifi extender very close to it but that didn't help.

A coworker reports that hers falls off her network pretty regularly as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.