Brave Browser

1,756 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by kb2001
zurcaled11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is anyone using the Brave Browser? I used it for a while a few months ago and switched back to chrome. However with some of the recent Brave updates (such as the ability to earn BAT for using and viewing approved ads) I might switch back. I'm wondering if anyone else is using Brave and your thoughts, issues, etc?
Al Bula
AG
I use it. 95% of the time it is phenomenal for browsing with absolutely no ads or pop-ups. Once every few days a page crashes on me but that is not a big deal considering a see no ads at all.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
How is it for surfing pron?

Asking for a friend.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
badharambe
AG
My daily driver.

It's not only a great ad blocking browser, it core principals focus on privacy, eliminating tracking. Soon, they will start rolling out their ads. Getting paid to watch ads is going to be a change I'm looking forward to

Brave and BAT have the potential to change the internet and the world. One of my favorite crypto projects going forward.
Short explanation:

Drawkcab
Now that Apple has stopped Brave from allowing users to opt into viewing ads in exchange for BAT, is anyone still planning on using Brave?
YouBet
AG
I stopped using it because Favorites sync wasn't available and I actually found it to be slower than other browsers. Looking back that may be because if you use their hidden browsing function its going through Tor which can slow things down...I think.

Still on FireFox.
tamusc
AG
Been using Brave as my main browser on mobile and desktop for a long time now.
tamusc
AG
Favorite Sync is back and working on mobile.

They were forced to pull it for a bit as they moved to a new backed for the sync service and Apple delayed the update to enable it on mobile, so they pulled the functionality from mobile for a few months while waiting on Apple to approve it.

YouBet
AG
tamusc said:

Favorite Sync is back and working on mobile.

It wasn't working for PC though last time I looked. I'm out of town so can't verify on PC.
tamusc
AG
You had to delete and restart a sync chain after they moved to the new backend months ago. I did that then and have had zero issues on desktop since, though I've only verified on Windows devices. Just added my mobile devices with the recent update and they seem to be synching correctly.

Did you restart a sync chain?
YouBet
AG
tamusc said:

You had to delete and restart a sync chain after they moved to the new backend months ago. I did that then and have had zero issues on desktop since, though I've only verified on Windows devices. Just added my mobile devices with the recent update and they seem to be synching correctly.

Did you restart a sync chain?

Well, I never even started a first one because the option back then on PC wasn't even available and that was a deal killer for me.

Will check it out when I get back home.
exitone
AG
I have been using Duck Duck Go, but thought I would check this out to see it's pro's.
Just saw this on their site:
In order to comply with recent stipulations made by Apple, Brave users on iPhones and iPads will no longer be able to earn rewards for their attention, and will no longer be able to tip their favorite online creators via Brave. These changes to our Brave Rewards system do not apply to our desktop and Android browsers

This seems like a pretty big deal for them when trying to win over the Apple market.
AtlAg05
AG
Drawkcab said:

Now that Apple has stopped Brave from allowing users to opt into viewing ads in exchange for BAT, is anyone still planning on using Brave?

Is that how it works? I never looked into it but was curious what the process was to earn it. Is it based on the number of ads/time of ads?
Drawkcab
AtlAg05 said:

Drawkcab said:

Is that how it works? I never looked into it but was curious what the process was to earn it. Is it based on the number of ads/time of ads?

Based on number of ads. I would get a pop up every now and then saying an ad was available. I could close it or open it in a new tab. If I opened it I got a little bit of BAT. I was up to about 40 BAT I think. Can't see my balance right now. All I see is an option to transfer from my mobile wallet to a desktop browser wallet. You can move it to any wallet of your choosing I think but there's some hoops to jump through to do that.
Decay
AG
I've used it for about a month and haven't seen any options for ads beyond what's served in-page. I've earned like 9 cents I think.

I do like the idea behind it and after using it for a while I don't mind the slightly slower experience. I also have to disable the shields for a few pages to work correctly.

Really I'd like the ecosystem to have more participation. Maybe Texags could get a tip button...
Al Bula
AG
I've dropped brave for Firefox. Still can turn on blocking for those pesky texags ads.
Decay
AG
So just a little update.

Something was nagging me and I wondered if I was missing something... sure enough I was.

I checked my notification center and Brave had notifications turned off. I was literally getting zero ads... kinda the whole point of this thing. So anyway I've got my settings straightened out and will report back if I'm actually generating BAT.
XXXVII
I've used Brave for several years now on my mobile and desktop. The speed it has over chrome makes it worth it. Chrome would always slow my phone to a crawl.

Occasionally I'll encounter a site that is not compatible, and I will just switch over to firefox.

Also I'm trying to move away from google products and other things that track me as much as possible. I've gotten completely off of social media and deleted all their apps.
kb2001
AG
Finally! The broken syncing was annoying, I just set it back up and it's working nicely. I had been just exporting my bookmarks periodically and importing them to my other computers.

Also, I had no idea that people were allowing the Brave ads in. I block every ad I possibly can, they are a cancer on the internet, even more so than the big tech companies who drive it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.