Password Crypto sheet

3,225 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by saw em off
kbw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have an old fashioned crypto sheet to develop passwords
Kyle
heddleston
AG
Not sure what that is, but I use diceware for creating passwords; https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/07/new-wordlists-random-passphrases

You can make those even more secure by still adding numbers and special characters, as well as coming up with special misspellings/abbreviations/translations of words that come out of your dice rolls.
Civen
AG
https://www.lastpass.com/password-generator
Mattressburn
AG
If you want to not use a password generator here's an interesting comic

redd38
AG
Mattressburn said:

Unfortunately, most password requirements force you to use the first type instead of the second type.
OCEN99
AG
redd38 said:

Mattressburn said:

Unfortunately, most password requirements force you to use the first type instead of the second type.
Por que no los dos?
Furlock Bones
AG
i'm all in on lastpass
CapCity12thMan
AG
LastPass user here...I use the generate password dialog all the time:

saw em off
CapCity12thMan said:

LastPass user here...I use the generate password dialog all the time:

I use Passpack. Same concept here.
JJxvi
AG
I also have a last pass account and use the password generator to generate a random string. The main lastpass password login to lookup or use my passwords is similar in style to the xkcd comic.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I've got at least 75 different accounts, though not all are used regularly. A few might be dead. How many passwords will Lastpass keep? I'm assuming you generate the password for, say, Texags and then store it online, right? If not, how does it work?
UmustBKidding
Password vaults like lastpass can support. Thousand of accounts. I personally use keepassx and use Dropbox to sync a copy to phone, pc, tablet and other devices. Free and routinely audited for security.
Does not depend on network being alive since local copy on each device.
kbw01
AG
Thanks all, I went with 1password to generate and save passwords. I like it so far
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
+1 for 1password, though currently having an issue getting my mac and Palm to sync.
agracer
AG
redd38 said:

Mattressburn said:

out company actually just switched and is telling everyone to do the latter.
mazag08
AG
Yall dont use the same password that your dad made up when he signed you up for yahoo mail in 1998?
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I have like 8 email accounts and I have different passwords of varying complexity on everyone account and I have them all memorized and yes I change them on a regular basis. Cause I'm a narcisist and should be using LastPass.
JJxvi
AG
I can remember a lot of passwords, but at some point it just becomes way too much of a hassle to deal with in today's environment even if you completely ignore the security risks.

Even trying to use the exact same bad password for every account for years, I still ended up with about 5 or 6 different variations of it, because of different format requirements, or certain accounts forcing me to change and use a non-identical password, and it just became unmanageable dealing with accounts that would lock you out if you didnt pick the right combo right away and everything else. I have just under 90 different accounts stored in my LastPass right now, and I'm still having to add accounts occasionally that I didnt remember I had when those come up for whatever reason.

kbw01
AG
mazag08 said:

Yall dont use the same password that your dad made up when he signed you up for yahoo mail in 1998?
No, some of us are old and were already out of the house when the interwebs started
saw em off
kbw01 said:

Thanks all, I went with 1password to generate and save passwords. I like it so far
To update my post 4 comments above the quoted post, I just made the switch from Passpack to 1Password. I'm really liking it. Though I had used PP for years almost without issue (a couple of times their site was down), Passpack kind of concerned me in that they've been in beta on their latest version for a while. There's no updates on their twitter, facebook pages (even still have their old logo) so I decided to make the switch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.