65 inch TV Samsung or TCl

6,272 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by benh01
htownag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Samsung UN65NU8000FXZA Flat 65" 4K UHD 8 Series Smart LED TV (2018)

It's down to $997. Pprobably what I'll be getting this week
agdoc2001
AG
Edge lit, no quantum dots. You can do better for the money.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
htownag10
AG
Only Q8 and Q9 are out of my budget. NU8000 is the next best thing. Q6fn isn't worth the extra $200. They are pretty much identical. TCL you get what you pay for. Currently have an LG and I've never been impressed
tamusc
AG
htownag10 said:

Only Q8 and Q9 are out of my budget. NU8000 is the next best thing. Q6fn isn't worth the extra $200. They are pretty much identical. TCL you get what you pay for. Currently have an LG and I've never been impressed

LG's LCD panels aren't great. Their OLEDs are the best TVs on the market. It's really odd.

With TCL and Vizio you can get great TVs these days. Are you just thinking of the cheaper models in the sub $300 price range or something? The Vizio P-series and TCL 600 series are excellent TVs, especially for the money.

edit- no idea on that icon. Not what I intended to use and can't change it.
mrp_84
I bought the tcl 6 series 65 inch last week after starting this thread and couldn't be happier with my choice. The picture is truly amazing and watching the football games this weekend was the best viewing I've ever seen. Glad I made the choice and saved the extra cash. I was looking at the Samsung q6 so there was definitely a big price difference.
agfan2013
AG
Vizio P Quantum.

You get quantum dots and a backlight array (plus 192 zones which is better than the 40 on the Q8) and is $500 lower this week at several distributors for $1500.
Cassius
I've had a TCL for 5 years and no issues.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Picked up a 65in Vizio P (not the Quantum) at best buy for $999. So far no complaints. Need a soundbar and need to calibrate though.
texsn95
AG
bco2003 said:

WoMD said:

I wish Panasonic still made plasmas. Mine is 5 years old now and the picture still looks as good as what's available now. Subjective, I know, and largely based on the lack of 4K signal options, making it look better than my new 4K TCL. That being said, I've been pleased with the TCL as a dirt cheap bedroom tv.

+1 About to hit 10 years with mine.
I got a silver 50" Panny plasma awhile before Halo 3 came out and it's still going strong.
MBUSA
YouBet said:

WoMD said:

I wish Panasonic still made plasmas. Mine is 5 years old now and the picture still looks as good as what's available now. Subjective, I know, and largely based on the lack of 4K signal options, making it look better than my new 4K TCL. That being said, I've been pleased with the TCL as a dirt cheap bedroom tv.
I have a final generation Panasonic Plasma. At the time, it was the best TV you could buy. It's a great TV.

But, I just had a new LG OLED put in yesterday and that Panasonic doesn't even hold a candle to this LG. I mean, it's not even close. I moved the Panasonic to the bedroom and threw a Roku stick on it because I didn't want to get rid of it. This LG has a god d@mn incredible picture.

As a long time plasma guy, I could not agree more. OLED is much better.

Just a word of warning to those buying these inexpensive 65" + sets. That size requires a very good video processing engine to upscale the input signal. That processor is what you are paying for in higher priced models. Makes a good deal of difference in PQ.
ravingfans
AG
tamusc said:

YouBet said:

Fenrir said:

WoMD said:

10 years on mine. Thing is a tank and still going strong. also acts as a great source of heat on cold days...

I've had so many issues with Samsung products that I'm writing them off. I don't know what brands are considered good anymore but I'm staying away from Samsung for my next tv.
LG is currently king. And the TCL's are getting great reviews as value buys.

Yep, LG OLED's are the cream of the crop, Sony has some solid mid-range offerings, and then TCL and Vizio are the kings of budget TVs that still offer great performance.

The problem for Sony are these crazy sales on LG OLEDs that are squeezing them out at the mid-range pricing.

My opinIon: OLED's don't age well. Search the internet--many many reports of them going bad after a few years.

Sony's are better in quality than Samsung. Also Samsung has weird UI issues such as searching all network devices in the home network as a content source, so have to go through literally 25 source inputs to get to my roku. I switched to a Sony and much much happier. Picture was far brighter and nicer IMHO
Elmo Lincoln
AG
texsn95 said:

bco2003 said:

WoMD said:

+1 About to hit 10 years with mine.
I got a silver 50" Panny plasma awhile before Halo 3 came out and it's still going strong.

Same here. 50" silver Panny from 2006. Still works perfectly with a great picture. And the speaker is plenty good. Absolutely no need for a sound bar. I'll all for getting a badass new TV when the time comes, but this tank just keeps on chugging along.
MBUSA
You can get a LGC8 55 for $1449. If you can swing it, it's a deal.
Artorias
AG
Not Samsung or TCL, but the Vizio P-series 65" 4K tv is on sale at Best Buy, Walmart, Sam's and CostCo right now for $899.

Jackal99
AG
mugwurt said:

Not Samsung or TCL, but the Vizio P-series 65" 4K tv is on sale at Best Buy, Walmart, Sam's and CostCo right now for $899.

I snagged this from Best Buy yesterday, after randomly checking the price. It'll be delivered next Friday. Can't wait.
Van Buren Boy
AG
mugwurt said:

Dammit. Anyone have success with trying to get Best Buy to honor this sale on a purchase made 3 weeks ago?
BQ2001
AG
what is your Best Buy status? Pretty sure Elite level can return up to 30 days. Just talk to them and say rather than return this TV and buy a new one in the box for this price, give me the difference.
Van Buren Boy
AG
BQ2001 said:

what is your Best Buy status? Pretty sure Elite level can return up to 30 days. Just talk to them and say rather than return this TV and buy a new one in the box for this price, give me the difference.
Thanks for the reply. unfortunately I dont shop at best buy enough to have elite status.
bco2003
AG
My credit card does price rewinds; they'll compensate you the difference on a purchase if you find a cheaper price within 60 days. May be worth looking into.
benh01
AG
Dp
benh01
AG
htownag10 said:

Samsung UN65NU8000FXZA Flat 65" 4K UHD 8 Series Smart LED TV (2018)

It's down to $997. Pprobably what I'll be getting this week

bought this exact tv and size in November and it's fantastic. I love it. My xbox, ps4, and switch all look great on it too.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.