No HDR with PS4 and Vizio 4K tv

984 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tamusc
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So just bought a new vizio 65" 4K tv. When I plug my ps4 (not pro) into the correct HDMI port, the ps4 does not recognize it as an hdr tv. I've made sure that UHD color is enabled on the tv. What else could be causing this?
Icecream_Ag
S
Have you enabled it on the Playstation?

And it's plugged directly into the TV, no switch or receiver?

And you've confirmed the hdmi port on the TV has hdr turned on, they apparently set up the port to upgrade, but don't turn it on.

Those are all the Google fixes I could find
KidDoc
AG
Not sure if this well help but it seemed useful:

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-enable-hdr-playstation-4-popular-4k-tvs
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FatZilla
AG
Upgrade your cables if you havnt. Cheap ones work just fine from Amazon.
Pman17
AG
Make sure TV firmware is up to date too
Icecream_Ag
S
If none of those fixes work, give me the tv and go buy a sony
tamusc
AG
1. Check the port on the TV to make sure it's capable of accepting 4K HDR (some models might only have one or two ports that can in order to save money)

2. Check to make sure you're HDMI cables are HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant (I use the cheap Amazon Basic cables or from Monoprice)

3. Check settings on PS4

4. Check settings on TV (less likely to be the issue)

5. Check for firmware updates for both TV and PS4

6. If the PS4 isn't plugged directy into the TV, is whatever in between (AV receiver, sound bar, etc) capable of passing 4K HDR?
KidDoc
AG
tamusc said:

1. Check the port on the TV to make sure it's capable of accepting 4K HDR (some models might only have one or two ports that can in order to save money)

2. Check to make sure you're HDMI cables are HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant (I use the cheap Amazon Basic cables or from Monoprice)

3. Check settings on PS4

6. If the PS4 isn't plugged directy into the TV, is whatever in between (AV receiver, sound bar, etc) capable of passing 4K HDR?
#6 was the problem with my OLED & PS4. My surround sound isn't compatible so I had to plug directly into the TV.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ag09
AG
time to upgrade your receiver.
TV Casualty
AG
KidDoc said:

tamusc said:

3. Check settings on PS4

#6 was the problem with my OLED & PS4. My surround sound isn't compatible so I had to plug directly into the TV.

My receiver is also the oldest link in my signal chain. I'm holding out on buying a new on for a while. May get in on a Dolby atmos setup at some point.

Running an optical cable from the tv to my receiver is working just fine for now.
tamusc
AG
TV Casualty said:

KidDoc said:

tamusc said:

3. Check settings on PS4

My receiver is also the oldest link in my signal chain. I'm holding out on buying a new on for a while. May get in on a Dolby atmos setup at some point.

Running an optical cable from the tv to my receiver is working just fine for now.
Yep, that's what I'm doing as well currently. My receiver is still great from an audio standpoint (though it does lack Atmos support), but it only passes 4K signals, not 4K HDR.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.