Speaker Advice

651 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Coin
Coin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My house is wired for 5.1 surround sound, and I currently have JBL SI160 speakers mounted on the wall in fancy wall mounts, with a nice Infinity center channel speaker, but no sub. I recently bought a used Yamaha V673 receiver, which came with an Energy 5.1 micro set, including the sub.

My question is what is the best combination of speakers to use, so I can sell the rest? I will have to get new mounts for the Energy micro speakers I also have the JBL center channel, so selling the Infinity is an option as well.

Currently using JBL satelites, Infinity center, and Energy sub. Is a change worth the effort?
agdoc2001
AG
None of those are great (no offense). Your left, right, and center should ALWAYS match. Surrounds dont have to. Swap the Infinity with the jbl. Call it a day.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Coin
None taken. I'm not out any cash on any of it, just looking to make it sounds the best.

Thanks
agdoc2001
AG
In truth, the Energy micros are probably a hair better than the JBLs (which are like 15 years old). I just have a hard time saying that the improvement with the micros is worth buying new mounts and swapping everything around.

As far as subs go, brand again doesn't matter. You can put any brand sub with any brand speakers. The sub that comes with the Energy micros isn't really a sub. It's 8", 240 W and probably doesn't go down below 40Hz. If I were you (and you even care), my next investment would be a decent sub.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bottlehead90
AG
Which sound better?
Take all reviews with a grain of salt.
Trust your ears.
Coin
I've swapped out the infinity reference speaker I had with the JBL center, and it does sound more balanced.

The "sub" seems sufficient for my needs.

I'm not an audiophile, and was curious if the Micro speakers are worth the effort of changing the wall mounts. At this point I'll probably leave the JBL speakers in place. Maybe down the line I'll get a wild hair and swap them with the micros to check it out. Thanks for the imput.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.