outdoor TV recommendation

771 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sushi94
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a covered spot where the TV will be in a covered and closeable box. Am I better off dropping ~ 4-5k for a proper outdoor TV or just getting Walmart* TVs and knowing that I'll need to replace it once every year to few yearss? Experiences?
Average Joe
AG
Unless you are in a coastal area I would just get a regular tv. Even then, I would probably still get a regular tv. With prices being what they are, you could get 10+ regular tvs for the price of a special outdoor one.

As far as longevity, you should be able to get 3+ years out of one outside. It's not until they are exposed to direct sun or moisture that their lifespan drops significantly.
hph6203
AG
What he said. I have an insignia (Best Buy brand) that's been through 3 winters and 2 summers that is still going strong.
saltydog13
AG
I bought a cheap Westinghouse and it's been outside for 2 years. Only issue was the infrared sensor went out, but that was right after getting the tv and not related to weather.
Tailgate88
AG
blindey said:

I have a covered spot where the TV will be in a covered and closeable box. Am I better off dropping ~ 4-5k for a proper outdoor TV or just getting Walmart* TVs and knowing that I'll need to replace it once every year to few yearss? Experiences?

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2962761
CapCity12thMan
AG
I originated the thread in that link above and got a TCL Roku TV...$279 I think. Been actively using it since August and no issues so far.

Bmac04
AG
Have had a cheap TCL for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems. Got it from Costco with the 5 year warranty so I can take it back if there is ever a problem.
kyledr04
AG
Definitely get a regular tv. I have a Samsung that's been mounted under the porch for 3 years. I do keep a cover on it. I'm sure that helps keep it running but I mostly to it to keep the screen cleaner and bugs out.
sushi94
AG
Same as the rest of the guys - don't need to pay up for "outdoor". I've had a little trouble with mine but I think it's because the pool cleaner shoots water on them from time to time.

I'm on my 4th TV in 3 years on the patio. All bought from Costco.
1st one Vizio - lasted about 1 year - developed vertical lines during summer - Costco replaced
2nd Samsung - lasted almost 2 years - Costco refunded full costs
3rd LG - been up since Labor Day - no issues so far.

All were around the $500 level.

Had a 2nd Samsung between #2 and #3 that was a 45" instead of 55" - too small and went out after about 2 months in the spring - bought at Walmart - returned with no issues.
Basically paid $500 - had to deal with some warranty hassles but I can't justify paying $2 to $4K for "outdoor"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.