Anyone use PowerApps and Flow?

758 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm trying to populate a drop down of employees that aren't assigned to a project based on requests. The requests, assignments, and employees are all in different SQL tables, so I've resorted to nested filtering, which I'd rather avoid.

The first filter takes the start and end date from an empty assignment and filters the requests for which ones fall in that range. The second filter takes that list and filters the assignments for employee ID's attached to those requests. The third filters the full employee list for employee ID's not in the list produced by the second filter.

Is there a better way to do this? Can I delegate the filtering to SQL as a query using Flow? How would I return the query results to PowerApps? I've considered creating and dropping a temp table that PowerApps reads when my editing screen is opened, but I don't know how that would work with concurrency because a second person opening the screen would trigger a new table. I could maybe add it to a collection, but I don't know how to ensure that the query is done executing before building the collection and that no one else has executed it again in the mean time.
tunefx
AG
I've only played a bit with Flow and PowerApps. Why not create a master table with all the columns needed and aggregate from the other tables? Then use Flow to update the master table anytime there is a change to any of the other three tables.
boboguitar
AG
Typescript >>> Flow
boboguitar
AG
In seriousness, although I've never used either one of those applications, if you can write a sql query in them, you can easy write a join and where statement to get the employees you need.
boboguitar
AG
tunefx said:

I've only played a bit with Flow and PowerApps. Why not create a master table with all the columns needed and aggregate from the other tables? Then use Flow to update the master table anytime there is a change to any of the other three tables.

That sounds awful. Generally(with a few exceptions) you never want to populate a table based on events of others tables.
tunefx
AG
Get out of SQL and RDBMS mindset. Think data lake and event processing.
boboguitar
AG
tunefx said:

You forgot machine learning.
tunefx
AG
boboguitar said:

tunefx said:

You forgot machine learning.
LOL, as you can tell, I'm artificially intelligent.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I got this working. I figured out how to execute a stored procedure to run the query I need with input from PowerApps and return the results to PowerApps through Flow.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.