My Galaxy S7 talks to me

1,001 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rather be fishing
1st Generation Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been getting popup ads for a memory-cleaning app on my S7. I've been in the middle of something - the last time I was using Chrome - when without warning, a recorded voice came from the speaker and said out loud, "Warning - your system is critically low on memory. Please go to the device settings to perform maintenance." Or, pretty close to that. At the same time it opened up Google Play Store and directed me to the listing for this app which, I presume, cleans up your RAM for you. Pressing the home button does nothing to stop it once it starts, though thankfully I'm free to control it after that. It's happened three times now - anyone know how to prevent this?
rather be fishing
AG
Stop browsing on Chrome.
KidDoc
AG
My s7 did nothing of the sort and I just replaced it about a month ago. I'm no phone expert but to me it sounds like malware. I would get malwarebytes or something similar and scan your phone.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
htownag99
AG
100% malware, don't do anything it suggests to do. You probably went to a shoddy website or something when in chrome.
redd38
AG
It's a malicious ad, I've gotten it a few times on texags
dtkprowler
AG
Texags has some rogue ads from Google that are surfacing. Just close the browser completely and move on. It isnt malware on your phone unless you click anything it brings up.
AggieDruggist89
AG
redd38 said:

It's a malicious ad, I've gotten it a few times on texags

This,

Just close out of all chrome browsers.
1st Generation Ag
Thanks folks.
1st Generation Ag
rather be fishing said:

Stop browsing on Chrome.
Can you elaborate a bit? Is this a known issue with Chrome?
wangus12
AG
Yeah this pops up on my S7 pretty often, and only when I'm browsing Texags on my phone
Dogdoc
AG
Similar experience with a note 8 browsing Texags with Samsung internet browser.
Garrelli 5000
AG
My S9 did the same thing. I attributed it to a Thanksgiving theme i'd downloaded and was running. It hasn't happened since I removed that theme.
Take the trash out staff.
bigtruckguy3500
Happens on my computer with texags every now and again.

Also, picked up my mom's phone the other day. She had probably close to 50 notifications from various spam websites coming from chrome. Even after I closed all tabs and uninstalled any thing that looked remotely suspicious. Ended up having to go into chrome settings and denying those websites the ability to send notifications.
rather be fishing
AG
1st Generation Ag said:

rather be fishing said:

Stop browsing on Chrome.
Can you elaborate a bit? Is this a known issue with Chrome?
Chrome browser won't allow you to install adblock to run with it. There are third party browses you can download that will block popups. Have heard Brave recommended before.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.