How do I recover a lost iPad?

1,158 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Spider69
BoerneGator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to the "Find iPhone" App, it's in a vendors kiosk (The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf) in terminal C of the Denver Airport. I was there yesterday but could not locate it. It continues to show to be there. How accurate is the locator, and can it determine the exact location in a multi-level building (IOW, the exact floor/level)

Back story: I "believe" I left the iPad on a SWA flight at Terminal C at DIA on Friday afternoon. As soon as I exited the jetway onto the concourse, I realized my mistake, and immediately returned to the airplane and looked for it in my seat area. No more than 3-4 minutes elapsed. It wasn't there and none of the remaining crew knew anything about it. Another passenger could have seen it, picked it up, and carried it off the plane. And it shows to be in the exact middle of concourse "C" just steps away from the gate I exited on Friday.

I've checked with Airport Lost and Found and SWA Lost and Found to no avail.

The persistent locator (it hasn't changed since I "turned it on" yesterday) encourages me, but bewilders me at the same time. Any ideas before I turn it over to my phone carrier?
COAg15
AG
I don't have any huge tips for you. The locator still says in the airport "updated 5 minutes ago" or whatever? Or does it say "last updated 24 hours ago"?

I'm not sure if you're a resident of Denver, but if you end up confirming it is at DIA, I'm happy to go pick it up for you.
Bregxit
AG
If it is showing that location as a recent update then it is there somewhere. If the last location is not a recent update then you can kiss it goodbye.

The location shown does not take into account elevation and is generally accurate within some radius so it could potentially be anywhere in there.

A feature I would love to see Apple add is to be able to access the camera on the device so you can get a visual on where it is. I can see the downsides to that as well so I understand why it is not a feature...but if they could make it extremely secure and not subject to abuse by LE it would be cool.
jaggiemaggie
AG
I'm sure you've done this already big I believe the find iPhone app has the option to put a message on the screen with your phone number.
GasAg90
I've done the same thing. The location was very accurate. Call swa first and explain what happened. Tell them your locator is saying it is at the gate. Maybe they can connect you to the gate agent. If not there then call the shop where you believe it is located. .
dcAg
Maybe a vendor bough it on the cheap from someone working for the airline. See if you can get security to go with you to the kiosk.
YourFavAggie
AG
You tried putting a phone number on the screen and then pinging the device (ping it to make the noise).

I have done this with a lost phone in a taxi, and the driver was able to find it under the seat and return to me
Eyes of texas Crying
BoerneGator
AG
COAg15 said:

I don't have any huge tips for you. The locator still says in the airport "updated 5 minutes ago" or whatever? Or does it say "last updated 24 hours ago"?

I'm not sure if you're a resident of Denver, but if you end up confirming it is at DIA, I'm happy to go pick it up for you.
Thanks for all of the replies. And thank COAg15 for offering to "pick it up"! (I am back in Boerne, Texas) The locator has not varied from where it was when I first checked it, more than 24 hours ago. I have been frustrated with my attempts to "find" it. I checked with airport Lost and Found and SWA L&F to no avail. It's in concourse C, but I can't locate anyone help me find it there.
TexLeoAg
If it were me I would try to call the actual law enforcement entity within the airport. NOT TSA. For example, Austin PD provides direct security for the Austin Bergstrom Airport. I would make contact with that entity's dispatch center (at the airport) and ask to speak with the sergeant on duty. They should be able to help.
BoerneGator
AG
Got a call this am from the GM of the Tapps Sky Bar which is the nearest establishment to the gate I exited upon my initial arrival at DIA last Friday. My iPad was "found on top of the wall between the bar and kitchen", and has been in their safe on a lower floor (apparently directly under the Coffee Bean kiosk, where the App indicated it was).

Bottom line, I have no idea how it came to be "left" in the Sky Bar, but it's on its way back to me!

Thanks again for the concerns/suggestions.
Charpie
AG
Awesome!

My iPad was stolen along with my work computer on a business trip from the trunk of my rental car. I put in lost mode. A month later it was powered up in Ho Chi Min City Vietnam. Needless to say I never saw it again. Glad you had better luck!!
Matsui
AG
Awesome. Congrats on finding it.
Spider69
AG
A good ending!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.