I Need a New Router

2,569 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Noblemen06
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
So I upgraded my service to 400 speed, but my old router can only accommodate 100. I had no idea routers had gotten so expensive, and most of them are ugly as hell. What about Google mesh routers? Any good? Would they handle that speed? I'd probably need 2 for full coverage.
Whitetail
AG
Netgear nighthawk.
TefIon Don
AG
Whitetail said:

Netgear nighthawk.

+1
Whitetail
AG
Black Friday deals always include routers.
saw em off
Synology ac2600. Expensive, but lots of security features and great coverage.
Aggietaco
AG
I've been pretty happy with my TP Link Archer 2300 for the past few months. Home Depot actually carries these and had them on clearance in my local store for like half price a month or so after I bought mine from Amazon. Even at full price, this was one of the better rated not-ridiculous-priced options.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/tp-link-archer-c2300,review-5625.html
tfunk02
AG
Router:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view

Mesh System:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/wifi-system/view

Secondary source...

Router:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Mesh System:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/
Big_Russ
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

So I upgraded my service to 400 speed, but my old router can only accommodate 100. I had no idea routers had gotten so expensive, and most of them are ugly as hell. What about Google mesh routers? Any good? Would they handle that speed? I'd probably need 2 for full coverage.

Google WiFi is excellent.
dubi
AG
I like the Orbi.
bigtruckguy3500
I haven't bought a router in like 6 years or so. Is flashing a fairly cheap router with something like DD-WRT or Tomato still a popular thing to do?
Madmarttigan
AG
So what is the best mesh system if you are capable of hardwiring everything in the different rooms?
Formerly tv1113
cr
I have a Netgear Nighthawk. No complaints!

And yes, they are expensive now.
REMtx
Another vote for TP-Link products. Recently replaced an old Linksys 802.11n router that was giving us problems. The rate I subscribe to is 150/5 Mbps (closer to 175/6). So I just bought the AC1750 Archer A7, (which is the Amazon sold version, there is also a C7).

Performance has been great, and setup was easy. TP-Link also has an app that works with a lot of its routers, it is a bit basic, but convenient. I have a 2300 sqft house and the 5GHz signal gets pretty far with good speeds on a wide channel.
tamusc
AG
tv1113 said:

So what is the best mesh system if you are capable of hardwiring everything in the different rooms?
For consumer grade stuff, you're looking at Velop and Orbi. You can also use wired backhaul for Eero, but it's more expensive to do so. All three of those are the top tier of consumer grade mesh wifi (check out the Wirecutter roundup that someone lunked above).

If you really want to have a powerful, flexible system and like to tinker, check out Ubiquiti Unifi gear.

I have Velop at my home and Eero at my folks place. Orbi.
Satellite of Love
tamusc said:

tv1113 said:

)If you really want to have a powerful, flexible system and like to tinker, check out Ubiquiti Unifi gear.

Try your hands at the Ubiquiti 5 POE router! I haD lots of tinkering to get everything up and running.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Try your hands at the Ubiquiti 5 POE router! I haD lots of tinkering to get everything up and running.

Damn good reason not to!
Satellite of Love
dubi said:

Quote:

Damn good reason not to!

Yea I didn't realize it when I purchased it. I had picked up one of their wifi access points thinking it should be an easy marrying. Boy was I wrong.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
bigtruckguy3500
https://slickdeals.net/f/12293116-my-bestbuy-members-netgear-nighthawk-ac2400-dual-band-wi-fi-5-router-black-89-99?src=frontpage

Night hawk ac2400 for 90.
Naveronski
AG
I have one of these I need to sell, if you're interested.

Netgear (R7000-100PAS) Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router, Gigabit Router, Open Source Support, Circle with Smart Parental Controls, Compatible with Amazon Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bUg9BbG0JYDKW
dodger02
AG
I'll resurrect this thread and vouch for the Orbi.

I'm not a tech guy.

I have 250 mbps service and a two-story home that's right at 3,000 sqft. I found a Cyber Monday deal and upgraded my cable modem to a Netgear CM700 from the old one that my service provider gave me. I also picked up an Orbi (RBK23) at the same time. The RBK23 isn't as powerful as the RBK53 and doesn't have as many LAN/WAN ports, but it fit my needs.

My house is U-shaped and getting good speeds everywhere has been tough, especially outside on our large covered porch (inside the "U").

Using an assortment of power line extenders and range extenders, speeds into the house would run about 80-100 mbps wired directly into the combo router/modem on off-peak usage times and about the same inside my office via wifi a few feet away. Step around the corner into the living room, and speeds dropped about 30-40%. In the bedrooms, speeds were 60-70% lower. Outside, was rough...about 75-80% loss and pretty weak connections.

After installing everything last night at around 8pm, I was getting 100+mbps everywhere I went. There was only a little drop off outside where speeds were 83.6 mbps...but that is plenty fast for Roku streaming on the porch, music, iPad, etc. No hopping among different bands and different networks to find the one with the best speed. It was great. Early this morning, I was getting 200+ mbps in my office and 150+ mbps everywhere else.

Setup was ridiculously easy and all done through an app on my phone. I know there are probably better options out there. But if any of you non-techies are looking for better wifi in your home, I'd really recommend the Orbi.
nwspmp
dodger02 said:

I'll resurrect this thread and vouch for the Orbi.

I'm not a tech guy.

I have 250 mbps service and a two-story home that's right at 3,000 sqft. I found a Cyber Monday deal and upgraded my cable modem to a Netgear CM700 from the old one that my service provider gave me. I also picked up an Orbi (RBK23) at the same time. The RBK23 isn't as powerful as the RBK53 and doesn't have as many LAN/WAN ports, but it fit my needs.

My house is U-shaped and getting good speeds everywhere has been tough, especially outside on our large covered porch (inside the "U").

Using an assortment of power line extenders and range extenders, speeds into the house would run about 80-100 mbps wired directly into the combo router/modem on off-peak usage times and about the same inside my office via wifi a few feet away. Step around the corner into the living room, and speeds dropped about 30-40%. In the bedrooms, speeds were 60-70% lower. Outside, was rough...about 75-80% loss and pretty weak connections.

After installing everything last night at around 8pm, I was getting 100+mbps everywhere I went. There was only a little drop off outside where speeds were 83.6 mbps...but that is plenty fast for Roku streaming on the porch, music, iPad, etc. No hopping among different bands and different networks to find the one with the best speed. It was great. Early this morning, I was getting 200+ mbps in my office and 150+ mbps everywhere else.

Setup was ridiculously easy and all done through an app on my phone. I know there are probably better options out there. But if any of you non-techies are looking for better wifi in your home, I'd really recommend the Orbi.
Definitely keep the receipt on that CM700. I've always had great experiences with Netgear cable modems, but the CM700 has the Intel Puma chipset and *really* failed on me. Ended up going with a CM600 (only 400mbit service so that's fine) and it's been rock steady.
dodger02
AG
Shiiiiiii...

Good to know. I'll put the CM600 in my Amazon cart just in case I need it.
Whitetail
AG
https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/441145

Netgear Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router on sale for $79.99
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Thanks y'all
Noblemen06
AG
Just installed Google WiFi in our house and holy smokes is it an improvement. Best improvement was 70 mbps in our office and smallest improvement was 24 mbps in our bedroom.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.