***** Fallout 76 PS4 *****

1,828 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by whiskey02
Artorias
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Disconnected from server
wreckt01
Played a little this morning. Lack of NPCs and real time VATS are disappointing as expected. Much harder to face groups of enemies with the real-time VATS and fallouts typical shooting mechanics.
The environments are classic fallout and that is a good sign. Materials are a tough to come by, but crafting and gear mods are fun so far.

Tough to find radaway and I'm starting to turn green....need a med re supply ASAP
Artorias
AG
I have been playing for a few nights. I am up to level 10. Probably 8-10 hours played so far. I will preface my thoughts by saying I am not a big Fallout series fan. I tried to play Fallout 3 and 4, but couldn't get into them and set them down pretty quickly. I think I am just not much of a post-apocalyptic fan. I LOVE the Elder Scrolls series (Plz to give ES6!)

With that said, I am finding myself kinda...

...bored. The world is pretty, but feels very empty. There are no NPCs, which I have seen echoed as a complaint from Fallout fans.

...confused. There is so much "stuff" in the game, I don't know what most of it does, what it is used for, or when I should use/keep/scrap/sell it. Information overload with the seemingly endless number of items you can find/collect. Some of this might be due to lack of Fallout experience?

...frustrated. Some of the mechanics are really annoying, and don't really add to gameplay (for me). Specifically, the "survival" mechanics - hunger, thirst, radiation, and encumbrance. Encumbrance is the most annoying so far. After looting a handful of bad guys, my weight limit is passed, which means I can't move for very long without running out of AP and coming almost to a stand still. And I can't fast travel while encumbered, which combined with not knowing where the nearest Stash Box is, means either I drop abuncha stuff I collected so I can Fast Travel, or I slowly and painfully hoof it to my camp or another known Stash Box location. I have put a few points into Strength to try to increase my carry weight. Is there a way to identify Stash Box locations on the map? Should I always pick up my camp before moving to another mission and drop it in the new area?

Again, much of my issue may be because I am a Fallout noob, so take my impressions with the necessary grains of NaCl.

I haven't tried running around Co-op yet, which is the primary reason I bought 76. I will try that this weekend with my dad and brother and see if that improves my enjoyment.
wreckt01
lack of NPCs does make it feel empty, but as it's supoosed to be co close to the Great War it makes some sense that no one else would be around. The others were set well in the future from this game.

Survival stuff sucks, but once you set a camp, build a supply of food and water and a stockpile of radaway it'll go away. Seems a little overdone to me though.

Use the workbenches in every area to scrap everything. All junk, all duplicate weapons and armor, everything, you get supplies and unlocks weapon mods.

I use vats for varmints and close quarter combat with my shorty. Personally I use my scoped rifle for most encounters though and manually aim.

I like it, but I liked the previous games better so far.

JJxvi
AG
When I hear people talk about this game it reminds me of playing the original release of Star Wars Galaxies
Artorias
AG
I am still playing, and now that I have gotten the hang of things, I am finding it more enjoyable. The hunger/thirst mechanic is still a little annoying, but it is now relegated to more of a minor annoyance than a game-breaker.

Basically, the first thing I do before I ever start to explore/quest an area is move my camp nearby, stock up on food/water items, top myself off on everything, and then head into the area. Encumbrance is still a bit annoying, even with Pocketed armor and Carry food, but I have slowly been weening myself from the compulsion to pick up literally every little dongle and doohickie I find. I am limiting myself to more valuable/needed items for crafting.

I am finding that Adhesive and Plastic are 2 things I constantly need. Adhesive for any weapon or armor mods/repair, and Plastics for converting all the other resource materials into Bulk, which from what I can tell cuts the weight of the resources in half allowing me to carry or store more in stash.

Exploration is fun, as the world is VAST. I have played probably 30 hours or so and there is still 80% of the map and locations I haven't even been to yet.

Had my first couple of Nuke launch experiences. The target location was nowhere near me, thankfully, but hearing the launch warning and then the massive detonation/rumble audio from across the map was a really cool immersion experience.

I am definitely having the most fun when running around with my dad and brother playing co-op. Honestly, I think where 76 might have missed the mark with alot of Fallout/Elder Scrolls fans is going with the always online, all multiplayer route. I would have been plenty happy with simply adding co-op to a traditional single-player Fallout experience, full of NPC's and everything, so I can run around the immersive worlds Bethesda is known for with my family/friends. The always online, all multiplayer obviously brought alot of design/technical issues along with it that seem to be a net negative for the game overall, atleast relative to what fans were expecting/wanting.

There is definitely a pretty steep learning curve to the game, primarily around the survival and crafting mechanics, but once you get over that hump, I find it is an enjoyable experience overall. Looking forward to playing it some more over the Holiday weekend.

Artorias
AG
JJxvi said:

When I hear people talk about this game it reminds me of playing the original release of Star Wars Galaxies
Oh boy. SWG was an unmitigated disaster.
Artorias
AG
Played more over the holiday. Up to level 41.

Fully assembled a set of T-51B Power Armor, and boy what a difference that makes. Definitely alot tougher now than running around in my crafted leather armor. I found myself being apprehensive to don the Power Armor suit until I had every pieces matching and fully repaired with a 100% Fusion Core. After using it now, I realize that was pretty silly. Fusion Cores are not as scarce a resource as I was assuming. Now I pretty much wear the Power Armor any time I go anywhere there might be bad guys that aren't super low level.

I started the quest to build the Excavator Power Armor, as I heard it was a good set and looked cool. But turns out it is only level 25 Power Armor and requires a ton of materials to build each piece, so I am holding off on that as my T-51B set is higher level with better stats. I hear you have to complete the quest, though, to get the plans to build a Power Armor crafting station at your base. So I guess I will eventually have to farm the mats for it anyways.

While I feel much tougher to take down in my Power Armor, I still find myself feeling a bit weak when it comes to dealing damage. Being a Fallout noob, I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if this is intentional design. I try to keep my weapons at the highest level crafted weapons I can, with the best available mods I have discovered, but facing enemies my level or within 5-10 levels below me feels like it is taking more effort to kill them than it should. I definitely don't have a good grasp on what weapon types are more effective against different enemy types, so that is probably part of it. I have been having a bit of difficulty researching online to find a list of locations/quests/etc. on where to get all the crafting recipes, as I am definitely missing some weapon recipes, and several mod recipes for weapons I do have. Any helpful tips on how to dish out more damage would be appreciated.

I finally figured out how to use the wooden mod boxes I find in the world. Basically, they are pre-built mods I can apply to a weapon instead of having to know the recipe and have the mats for it. I am still uncertain if using a mod box also grants me the mod recipe so I can craft the mod in the future?

One issue I encountered over the weekend became quite annoying, and I hope there is a fix for it. I started a Daily quest that was pretty involved, with multiple steps sending me hunting creatures in various parts of the world. Just when I finished the last creature and was getting ready to fast travel to turn the quest in, I got DC'd from the server. When I logged back in, the quest was gone from my Pip Boy. I went back to the town where the quest started, and it made me start everything back over again. Losing quest status due to getting disconnected is pretty frustrating, especially when the quest takes a good 20+ minutes.

Another quest related issue I found is occasionally my main quest line would disappear from my Pip Boy, and would only return if I quit out and restarted the game.

Had several random disconnects and crashes which are pretty frustrating. Hoping stability improves in the near future.
Joe Exotic
AG
mugwurt said:

JJxvi said:

I remember the first few months were basically taming animals and it was like Star Wars: Pokemon
Artorias
AG
Bo Darville said:

mugwurt said:

JJxvi said:

I remember the first few months were basically taming animals and it was like Star Wars: Pokemon
Taming animals and dancing in the cantina. About the only 2 things that actually worked
whiskey02
AG
Anyone still playing this game? I got it in late December and am at level 46.

This game has been frustrating, but pretty decent. Not nearly as good as Fallout 4 or Skyrim though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.