65" TV ~1k

8,413 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tamusc
aggierogue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Appreciate the feedback and advice.
saw em off
Quote:

Depending how aggressive the interpolation is, however, it can lead to the soap opera effect, which makes movies look like ultra-smooth reality TV. Some viewers like the effect, but it's generally hated by film buffs and others who pay close attention to image quality.
Just want to say my peace about refresh rates. This is from the article someone posted on page 1. I hate high refresh rates and can't believe TV makers put this in TVs. Movies are shot at 24FPS and are meant to be seen at 24FPS not at 60 making it looking like a freaking home movie. Very big pet peeve of mine! Carry on!
Cappo
AG
OLED is incredible IMO
hph6203
AG
Given that, you want a TV that has a high refresh rate so you can enjoy your movie in 24 FPS. 24 doesn't go into 60 evenly, so if you want the best experience get a TV that has a refresh rate of 120hz+.
tamusc
AG
hph6203 said:

Given that, you want a TV that has a high refresh rate so you can enjoy your movie in 24 FPS. 24 doesn't go into 60 evenly, so if you want the best experience get a TV that has a refresh rate of 120hz+.
Again though, the problem is that basically all, with a very few, very recent exceptions, are still 60Hz panels and not actually 120Hz, 240Hz, 600Hz, or whatever other BS refresh rates they claim.
Reload8098
AG
TxAger said:

I would take a look at VIZIO.

I bought a 70" Vizio 2 years ago and it is a great TV... Awesome picture. But sound is "typical" for a flatscreen... I have it hooked up to surround sound so no issue.

I'm not a fan of the cheap quality Korean products like Samsung and LG.

What are you talking about, Vizio is made in China. Samsung produces an excellent product.
Then there's tbis [link]https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/06/who-made-your-name-brand-tv/index.htm[/link]
Samsung and LG TVs are mostly built in house. Vizio contracts to the cheapest bidder. The company is AMERICAN based but nothing is built in America.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Thank for the helpful info. Been following this for a free days now. Any of you gurus have and negative comments about this Costco deal? It's not the OLED that many of you have given good comments about I guess. But it will be used for various things. Including sports. But no gaming.

Samsung smart TV. 75" 240htz refresh rate. 4K.
Price $1,579
With 7.9 on Rting

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-75%22-Class-(74.5%22-Diag.)-4K-UHD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100412573.html
thirty-two
AG
Lots of great info here, thanks!

I am looking for a new 65" TV... bright room, with two sliding glass doors facing the screen, so lots of daytime reflection. What is my best bet for a mid-range set? And do I need to go with a semi-gloss screen?

Sports, movies, and TV shows... I am not a gamer.

I am thinking the Vizio P Series Quantum?
hph6203
AG
tamusc said:

hph6203 said:

Again though, the problem is that basically all, with a very few, very recent exceptions, are still 60Hz panels and not actually 120Hz, 240Hz, 600Hz, or whatever other BS refresh rates they claim.

There's the advertised refresh rate and the native refresh rate. If you're going budget then yeah, they're going to all be 60hz and say they're 120 or 240, but on the mid-tier and upper tier there are several 120hz panels available. The Vizio P-Series is probably the cheapest you can get a 65" TV with native refresh of 1080p @ 120hz and it's a great TV.
Synopsis
tamusc said:

Synopsis said:

TxAger said:

I bought a 70" Vizio 2 years ago and it is a great TV... Awesome picture. But sound is "typical" for a flatscreen... I have it hooked up to surround sound so no issue.

Visio makes great products. You can hardly go wrong there. Also, check out the Sharp products. Sharp makes a pretty high quality product, regardless of the price (and they're usually reasonable).
Sharp hasn't made a competitive TV in terms of quality or price to performance in years. They are a value brand only at this point and have been pushed out in even that space by the likes of TCL and Vizio as either of those beats Sharp at every price point they still try to compete at.

I bought a Sharp 43 inch a year ago and I was very satisfied with the quality. Granted, I never use it for gaming, or put it up against a challenge such as direct sunlight and whatnot. It appears that you know your stuff about these things so I'll follow your advice in the future. It's much appreciated.
kyledr04
AG
My parents got this LG 65in yesterday. Looks good so far.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-led-sk8000-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6211116.p?skuId=6211116&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260573&ds_rl=1266837&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=CjwKCAiAiuTfBRAaEiwA4itUqMpvGHOC5UKzkFp4NcW7DnR0hC3D-wGUSlgShOf0dhdVE7ecLkRnSRoCq2AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
bigboykin
AG
Like most have said, LG OLEDs are still the best sets available. But if you're not going to pony up $1800+ it's just not really worth the extra cost to get minimal improvement over a TCL, IMO.

I've had ours in a living room that's pretty bright during the day for a little under a year and couldn't be happier (for what I paid). I watch sports probably 80% of the time, play a little XB1, and stream Netflix/Hulu through baked in Roku and have no real complaints at all.
tamusc
AG
Synopsis said:

tamusc said:

Synopsis said:

TxAger said:

Visio makes great products. You can hardly go wrong there. Also, check out the Sharp products. Sharp makes a pretty high quality product, regardless of the price (and they're usually reasonable).
Sharp hasn't made a competitive TV in terms of quality or price to performance in years. They are a value brand only at this point and have been pushed out in even that space by the likes of TCL and Vizio as either of those beats Sharp at every price point they still try to compete at.

I bought a Sharp 43 inch a year ago and I was very satisfied with the quality. Granted, I never use it for gaming, or put it up against a challenge such as direct sunlight and whatnot. It appears that you know your stuff about these things so I'll follow your advice in the future. It's much appreciated.
Happy to help! The nice thing about the advancement of display tech is that there aren't a ton of bad TVs out there anymore for the casual viewer (which is probably most people). Sharp's recent offering's aren't bad and they were definitely a leader in the field for years. There's just more competition these days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.