65" TV ~1k

8,269 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tamusc
benh01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking to get a new tv this holiday. I have a budget of about $1,000. I know LG and Samsung are the top brands with TCL coming in at the best budget brand. I have an Xbox One S and and switch. My son and I both game a lot. It will be in our living room, which is fairly well lit during the day.

Obviously want something with a 240 refresh rate if possible. Does anyone have recommendations? I have been doing some research, but the last time I bought a TV was a 1080p Samsung Plasma, which has been great, but I am not as well versed in the current technology and 4k versus uhd, hdr, etc. Thanks in advance.
n_touch
Not sure there are any in the price range that are 240. Most of the ones that I have seen are 120. Currently looking myself.
agdoc2001
AG
Read this article about refresh rates

https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TxAger
I would take a look at VIZIO.

I bought a 70" Vizio 2 years ago and it is a great TV... Awesome picture. But sound is "typical" for a flatscreen... I have it hooked up to surround sound so no issue.

I'm not a fan of the cheap quality Korean products like Samsung and LG.
tamusc
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Read this article about refresh rates

https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/
Yep, the refresh rates on pretty much all current TVs are meaningless/bunk and there's certainly nothing that's really 240Hz (or even 120Hz). They are (almost) all really 60Hz with some kind of motion interpolation that should really be turned off, especially for gaming.

NVIDIA is pushing what they call BFG (big format gaming) TVs that will actually have higher refresh rates and allow adaptive refresh rates, along with lower input latency, for gaming. Unfortunately, there aren't any BFG TVs currently available and that will be far more expensive than prety much any currently available consumer TV.
tamusc
AG
TxAger said:

LG's OLED TVs are far and away the best consumer TVs on the market. Samsung isn't far behind in terms of raw picture quality. You also pay for the privilege of owning the best, and personally, I don't think Samsung's are worth what they charge. If you're spending that much, get an LG OLED

Sony has some nice mid-tier offerings that are in-between LG/Samsung and then the bargain brands in terms of picture quality and price.

TCL and Vizio have done wonders the last few years in terms of bringing higher end features and picture quality to the bargain tier. Personally, I have a TCL 55P607 and couldn't be happier with it, especially considering it would have cost double to triple to get a TV that would be noticeably better. One of the big reasons I went with the TCL is that it has some of the lowest input latency, which makes it much better suited for gaming.
n_touch
tamusc said:

TxAger said:

LG's OLED TVs are far and away the best consumer TVs on the market. Samsung isn't far behind in terms of raw picture quality. You also pay for the privilege of owning the best, and personally, I don't think Samsung's are worth what they charge. If you're spending that much, get an LG OLED

Sony has some nice mid-tier offerings that are in-between LG/Samsung and then the bargain brands in terms of picture quality and price.

TCL and Vizio have done wonders the last few years in terms of bringing higher end features and picture quality to the bargain tier. Personally, I have a TCL 55P607 and couldn't be happier with it, especially considering it would have cost double to triple to get a TV that would be noticeably better. One of the big reasons I went with the TCL is that it has some of the lowest input latency, which makes it much better suited for gaming.
This is the boat I am in as well right now. Really like the OLED but am not real sure about a $2500 price tag for a TV. How is your TCL with sports? There will be gaming as well. Really interested in the 65". You are the second on here that has recommended TCL.
tamusc
AG
n_touch said:

tamusc said:

TxAger said:

This is the boat I am in as well right now. Really like the OLED but am not real sure about a $2500 price tag for a TV. How is your TCL with sports? There will be gaming as well. Really interested in the 65". You are the second on here that has recommended TCL.
I have zero regrets with my TCL. My original one was apparently damaged in shipping thanks to FedEx, but it wasn't immediately obvious that my issues were caused by physical damage. I posted some pictures on AVSForum and was contacted directly by a TCL rep confirming that what I was seeing was likely shipping damage. The rep had already contacted their customer center in California and gave me a direct contact there that was waiting to hear from me. I had a new TV delivered to me within a week by a local repair tech, who unpacked the new TV, tested it, swapped it out with the damaged one that I had mounted on the wall, repackaged everything, and then took the damaged TV with him. I've never had such a positive customer service experience with a TV vendor, even when I worked in high in home theater gear. It was also faster than a return through Amazon would have taken.

The TV itself has been great and I've had zero complaints while using with with a 4K Apple TV, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, and my gaming PC (when I wanted to play on something bigger than my 165Hz monitor).

I actually just helped a friend install the 65R617 in her new house and it was just as nice. If I needed a 65" TV for my space, that's what I would get without question.
wangus12
AG
n_touch said:

tamusc said:

TxAger said:

Curious about the sports as well? We've been looking at Samsung vs. TCL right now. We have really liked the Samsung in terms of picture color and clarity compared to the TCL when we are in store, but I'm sure that footage is filmed with the best cameras out there

agdoc2001
AG
The samsung q9f is an amazing tv, the rest of the Samsung offerings are not worth the extra cost over vizio, tcl, etc
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
n_touch
You can get a LG Oled 65" for that price. To me it seemed that the Oled had a better picture than the Samsungs. Really only noticeable on the dark colors and when both of the tvs were right next to each other.
tamusc
AG
Yep, most TVs in a store aren't really set up correctly for direct comparison. Trust reviews over a general in store viewing.

rtings.com is a great review website.
tamusc
AG
n_touch said:

You can get a LG Oled 65" for that price. To me it seemed that the Oled had a better picture than the Samsungs. Really only noticeable on the dark colors and when both of the tvs were right next to each other.

Yeah, the Samsung Q9F is a very nice TV, but the LG OLED is a superior picture at that price. The only situation where the Samsung might be a better choice is in a very bright room with direct sunlight on or near the TV.
jr15aggie
AG
tamusc said:

Yep, most TVs in a store aren't really set up correctly for direct comparison. Trust reviews over a general in store viewing.

rtings.com is a great review website.

This was going to be my recommendation... check out that website for any model you are considering. They do a great job of breaking down which TVs are good/bad for TV, Movies, and more specifically gaming!

The Vizio's and TCL's are going to be your best bet to get a pretty solid gaming TV right around $1,000.
TxAger
Exactly.. never never NEVER use in-store side-by-side for your comparisons. Did I say NEVER? :-)

Way too many variables.. plus stores have been known to deliberately change the settings or use poor quality cable/splitter in order to make one brand seem better than another (better commissions/profit)
tfunk02
AG
At about $1,000 for a 65 inch gaming set, right now I'd go with a Vizio P65-F1. You can set the gaming on the xbox to 1080P 120fps where it will have an input lag of 10.5ms on input #5. You aren't going to get much better than that.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2018#comparison_1799

The 65" OLEDs are around $2400 now. If you can swing that then absolutely do it!
agdoc2001
AG
n_touch said:

Agree 100%.
benh01
AG
Thanks so much, guys. This pretty much reinforces the research I had done on the TCLs and I think I will go with that. I was hesitant just because it is a budget brand, but I've read almost nothing negative about them. This will also likely allow me to get a soundbar with it. What would you all recommend as far as those go?
benh01
AG
Also, cable-wise do I need to get anything special? All the HDMI cables I have are just regular HDMI cables.
tamusc
AG
benh01 said:

Also, cable-wise do I need to get anything special? All the HDMI cables I have are just regular HDMI cables.

Just make sure they are HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant and you should be fine. I typically just use cheap ones from Monoprice or Amazon Basics and get an extra one or two cables.
tamusc
AG
benh01 said:

Thanks so much, guys. This pretty much reinforces the research I had done on the TCLs and I think I will go with that. I was hesitant just because it is a budget brand, but I've read almost nothing negative about them. This will also likely allow me to get a soundbar with it. What would you all recommend as far as those go?

Wirecutter has a good round up of sound bars.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-soundbar/amp/
tamusc
AG
tamusc said:

benh01 said:

Wirecutter has a good round up of sound bars.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-soundbar/amp/

And here's a decent roundup of soundbars that support Atmos

https://www.imore.com/best-soundbars-dolby-atmos?amp
tfunk02
AG
The TCL is not capable of 1080P at 120fps, but if that's not worth $500 to you... get the TCL. Good luck on the purchase!

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-120hz

As far as sound... A soundbar is nice for aesthetics, but if you care more about bang for the buck and want good music sound too, look at a stereo or 2.1 setup.
tamusc
AG
tfunk02 said:

The TCL is not capable of 1080P at 120fps, but if that's not worth $500 to you... get the TCL. Good luck on the purchase!

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-120hz

As far as sound... A soundbar is nice for aesthetics, but if you care more about bang for the buck and want good music sound too, look at a stereo or 2.1 setup.

I use my Xbox One X all the time with my 32" 165Hz 1440p FreeSync monitor when I am playing twitch games and it's great.

Ratings did a nice roundup of VRR (FreeSync) TVs and also lists which ones are actually 120Hz panels. All of those are going to be significantly more expensive than $1,000 for a 65" TV. I wouldn't be shocked to see those features show up in Vizio or TCL TVs within a year or two though at this price point.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/variable-refresh-rate
benh01
AG
So, looking at the information you all provided it looks like the Samsung 65" Class NU8000 Smart 4K UHD TV is maybe the best deal out there right now between a solid name brand and features. It comes in right at $1k at almost every outlet I'm seeing.

My question is are these prices going to last past Black Friday? Do they typically go back up to list price after? Thanks.
aggieforester05
AG
You can pick it up for less than $1K shipped with no sales tax if you live in Texas from B&H Photo:

Samsung Nu8000

I bought an entire media system for a client from these guys, they are legit and it's hard to beat no sales tax and free shipping when their prices line up with Amazon on some items.
tamusc
AG
My issue with that Samsung is the lack of local dimming, which leads to worse HDR performance compares to the TCL. Samsung also only support HDR10, rather than the better Dolby Vision HDR format since Samsung doesn't want to spend the licensing fees.

Note that you can only utilize the 120Hz refresh rate of the Samsung when gaming at 1080p and even then, only if you have an Xbox One X. Personally I prefer 4K 60Hz over 1080p 120 Hz, especially with a One X.
n_touch
Thanks for the website. May pick up my LG From them. Easy to deal with?
tamusc
AG
n_touch said:

B&H has a solid rep and has been great when I've purchased (mostly less expensive electronics) from them.
aggieforester05
AG
n_touch said:

I haven't had any problems with them. I remember going in their NYC store back in 2003. It's a massive camera shop run by Hasidic Jews in Manhattan. My father was a professional photographer in the 80s and 90s and they are who he always sent his camera to for repair. Since then they've expanded their reach to compete with the big online retailers in electronics.
Synopsis
TxAger said:

I bought a 70" Vizio 2 years ago and it is a great TV... Awesome picture. But sound is "typical" for a flatscreen... I have it hooked up to surround sound so no issue.

Visio makes great products. You can hardly go wrong there. Also, check out the Sharp products. Sharp makes a pretty high quality product, regardless of the price (and they're usually reasonable).
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

NEVER use in-store side-by-side for your comparisons

So if I see a REALLY REALLY REALLY good picture in a store I should ignore it if the ratings say I'm seeing things and the TV really sucks?

I can understand the idea of not ruling a TV out solely by store viewing but to say never on viewing in store is a bit over the top.
tamusc
AG
Synopsis said:

TxAger said:

Visio makes great products. You can hardly go wrong there. Also, check out the Sharp products. Sharp makes a pretty high quality product, regardless of the price (and they're usually reasonable).
Sharp hasn't made a competitive TV in terms of quality or price to performance in years. They are a value brand only at this point and have been pushed out in even that space by the likes of TCL and Vizio as either of those beats Sharp at every price point they still try to compete at.
tamusc
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

NEVER use in-store side-by-side for your comparisons

So if I see a REALLY REALLY REALLY good picture in a store I should ignore it if the ratings say I'm seeing things and the TV really sucks?

I can understand the idea of not ruling a TV out solely by store viewing but to say never on viewing in store is a bit over the top.
I worked in high end home theater way back when and the tricks the big box stores can pull to make mediocre TVs look good or great TVs look bad while on display are numerous. You can judge a TV's fit/finish and controls at a store all day long, but don't judge their picture quality at a store. There are some places, usually smaller, high -end stores, that do set up TVs for competitive viewing, but even then, your brain doesn't do a good job at evaluating a TV in five minutes like an extensive review (from a site like Rtings) does.

Stores also do things to sabotage certain sets to make them look made compared to others based on manufacturer incentives to push certain brands. TCL and Vizio are usually victims of this at places like Best Buy. Samsung and Sony are notorious for providing incentives to guarantee their sets get premium placement and beneficial comparative settings. I wanted to go see the TCL TV I ended up buying in person before I bought it and the Best Buy sales guy told me it was a crap set. I put in the settings from the rtings review and the sales guy was blown away by how good it looked, lol.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

I wanted to go see the TCL TV I ended up buying in person before I bought it and the Best Buy sales guy told me it was a crap set.
My real pleasure in life is when sales people come up to me to ask if they can help, I can simply tell them, "I know more than you," because of how much research I put into stuff. I don't actually say that because I'm not rude, but I enjoy telling that I don't need their help
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.