FCC: stop robocalls by next year

2,386 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wildmen03
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The FCC is telling the telecommunications carriers that they had better put an end to robocalls by next year.

Here's the press release in its entirity (very much worth reading and not a copyright violation to include the entire press release):
Quote:

Media Contact:
Will Wiquist, (202) 418-0509
will.wiquist@fcc.gov

For Immediate Release

CHAIRMAN PAI CALLS ON INDUSTRY TO ADOPT ANTI-SPOOFING PROTOCOLS TO HELP CONSUMERS COMBAT SCAM ROBOCALLS

Call Authentication Framework Moving Forward with 2019 Target for Implementation

WASHINGTON, November 5, 2018FCC Chairman Ajit Pai today demanded that the phone industry adopt a robust call authentication system to combat illegal caller ID spoofing and launch that system no later than next year. Such a system is critical to protecting Americans from scam robocalls.

"Combatting illegal robocalls is our top consumer priority at the FCC. That's why we need call authentication to become a realityit's the best way to ensure that consumers can answer their phones with confidence. By this time next year, I expect that consumers will begin to see this on their phones," said Chairman Pai. "Carriers need to continue working together to make this happen and I am calling on those falling behind to catch up. I also thank the many providers that are well on their way toward implementation. Greater participation will ensure the system works for consumers, who expect real progress in combatting malicious spoofing and scam robocalls. If it does not appear that this system is on track to get up and running next year, then we will take action to make sure that it does."

Specifically, Chairman Pai sent letters to voice providers this afternoon. In particular, he asked those that apparently have not yet established concrete plans to protect their customers using the Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using toKENs (SHAKEN) and the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (STIR) standards to do so without delay. Under the SHAKEN/STIR framework, calls traveling through interconnected phone networks would be "signed" as legitimate by originating carriers and validated by other carriers before reaching consumers. The framework digitally validates the handoff of phone calls passing through the complex web of networks, allowing the phone company of the consumer receiving the call to verify that a call is from the person supposedly making it.

His letters also pose questions to providers regarding implementation plans, highlighting the importance of private actors to combat illegal spoofing and unwanted and unlawful robocalls. Chairman Pai also thanked those companies that have committed to implementing a robust call authentication framework in the near term.

The Commission and industry have made significant progress in developing a call authentication framework. Starting with a formal inquiry in July 2017, the FCC sought public input on the best way to establish a reliable system to verify caller ID information. Then, in May 2018, Chairman Pai accepted the recommendations of the North American Numbering Council for implementing SHAKEN/STIR.

Industry stakeholders have now completed the first step of this processformation of the governance authority for implementing SHAKEN/STIR. The governance authority is a stakeholder group established to determine the policies by which a carrier and its calls are considered trusted enough to "sign" calls originating on their networks. Next, a policy administrator will be established to certify carriers that are authorized to approve a call as legitimate. Finally, certification authorities will be chosen to provide the "keys" that digitally stamp a call as legitimate. Although some carriers are expected to start signing calls even before this process is complete, operationalizing this system will help all carriers sign calls, attesting to their validity from start to finishand conversely, making clear which calls are not valid.

Looking ahead, Chairman Pai expects this effort to move forward as quickly as possible to protect consumers. Industry has been making progress, but success requires sustained investment in this next-generation call authentication standard. If industry starts to fall behind, the Commission stands ready to ensure widespread deployment to hit this important technological milestone.

A robust call authentication framework is part of the Commission's multi-pronged effort to combat the scourge of spoofed robocalls that American consumers know all too well. A robust call authentication framework would erode the ability of callers to illegally spoof their Caller ID, which scam artists use to trick Americans into answering their phones when they shouldn't. With a robust framework in place, consumers and law enforcement alike could more readily identify the source of illegal robocalls and reduce their impact. And the Commission is considering additional actionssuch as authorizing voice providers to block the delivery of unsigned or improperly signed calls to consumersthat would stem the flow of illegally spoofed robocalls to American consumers.

###

Office of Media Relations: (202) 418-0500
ASL Videophone: (844) 432-2275
TTY: (888) 835-5322
Twitter: @FCC
www.fcc.gov/media-relations
This is an unofficial announcement of Commission action. Release of the full text of a Commission order constitutes official action. See MCI v. FCC, 515 F.2d 385 (D.C. Cir. 1974).
Wildmen03
AG
They've gotten worse for me the last month or so. It's like the scammers saw the end coming and got into desperation mode. I don't even answer my work or personal cell phone anymore if I don't recognize the number.
EMY92
AG
Were the increased calls scammers or political calls? Political calls are not governed by the do not call list.
tk for tu juan
What about cat facts, will that still be allowed?
Wildmen03
AG
EMY92 said:

Were the increased calls scammers or political calls? Political calls are not governed by the do not call list.
All scammers, usually some lady recording speaking chinese or a lady asking me about my home security.
aggieforester05
AG
The vast majority of the one's I get now are voice recordings or hangups. It's just no fun when it isn't a real person on the line. I got an Indian guy the other day trying to sell me burial insurance. I kept him on the line for ten minutes demanding an answer as to whether or not they'd cover me if I killed myself that night after purchasing their product. Never could get him to answer that.
aggiebq03+
Like 90% of mine are a guy who's looking for Henry. But for some reason when Henry isn't available he's willing to talk to me instead.
eric76
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Like 90% of mine are a guy who's looking for Henry. But for some reason when Henry isn't available he's willing to talk to me instead.
I get a lot of calls for J____. I've had J____'s telephone number for something like eight or nine years -- longer than she had it, but I still get lots of calls for her.

The funny thing is that I actually do know J____, but haven't seen her in about five years. She used to work at my office about twenty years ago before leaving to open her own business down the street and is now retired from that.

Many of J____'s calls are from debt collectors. They understand it when I tell them that it is no longer J____'s telephone number, but then get real suspicious when I say that I haven't seen her in about five years and even though I know approximately where she lives, I'm not sure which house is hers. That convinces them that I am some kind of deadbeat relative of hers. The last one, about two weeks ago, refused to believe that I wasn't a relative of hers since I both had her old phone number and since I know her.
LOYAL AG
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

The first time I got this call I said you've got the wrong number so he went into his spiel with me. I cut him off immediately and told him he lied to get me to talk to him and that I wasn't going to continue a conversation with someone that lied and to please not call me again. A month later he called again with the same voice and asking for the same person, Josh. So I said hold on then put the phone down and yelled, "Josh, phone!" Not sure how long he held, the call lasted about 12 minutes.
WoMD
The advantage of keeping my 979 number and living out of state. All Texas numbers, especially 979, rejected.
The Fife
Yep, same thing for the 210 that I've had for well over a decade.
Flashdiaz
AG
eric76 said:

aggiebq03+ said:

I get a lot of calls for J____. I've had J____'s telephone number for something like eight or nine years -- longer than she had it, but I still get lots of calls for her.

The funny thing is that I actually do know J____, but haven't seen her in about five years. She used to work at my office about twenty years ago before leaving to open her own business down the street and is now retired from that.

Many of J____'s calls are from debt collectors. They understand it when I tell them that it is no longer J____'s telephone number, but then get real suspicious when I say that I haven't seen her in about five years and even though I know approximately where she lives, I'm not sure which house is hers. That convinces them that I am some kind of deadbeat relative of hers. The last one, about two weeks ago, refused to believe that I wasn't a relative of hers since I both had her old phone number and since I know her.
that's a lot of information to give someone when it's the wrong number.
Simple yet more effective answers:
a. this is not J
b. wrong number
c. J is dead
AgLiving06
I generally get the call about the changes to my Federal Student Loans (I don't have any student loans).

It's actually truly amazing to me that people fall for this since the same recording has shown up in my voicemail from about 15 different phone numbers.

If I get a voicemail that's 27 seconds long from an unknown number, it's always this scam.
agracer
AG
Why is this all on the telecom companies?
Top Banana
AG
who else would be responsible for this?
double aught
AG
My guess is it's because they're the ones with the power to stop it. But yeah, it's not really their fault.
dtkprowler
AG
Top Banana said:

I would guess whoever is responsible for enforcing our laws. You know.... since these calls are illegal.
ntxVol
Only problem is they take advantage of the phone system, as it exists, to spoof where they are calling from. Makes it kinda hard to track them down. The phone companies are the ones who need to do something to prevent that from happening.
eric76
AG
EMY92 said:

I didn't get any political calls this year.

I think everyone takes this part of Texas for granted. In nearly ever race this year, the Republican candidate got between 89% and 95% of the vote.
eric76
AG
Flashdiaz said:

eric76 said:

aggiebq03+ said:

that's a lot of information to give someone when it's the wrong number.
Simple yet more effective answers:
a. this is not J
b. wrong number
c. J is dead
Most of the people who call for her on that number are people I know so I'm going to try to be helpful.
eric76
AG
dtkprowler said:

Top Banana said:

I would guess whoever is responsible for enforcing our laws. You know.... since these calls are illegal.
How much extra do you think each of us would need to pay in taxes to cover the costs of prosecuting everyone who violates that law?
aggieforester05
AG
eric76 said:

dtkprowler said:

Top Banana said:

How much extra do you think each of us would need to pay in taxes to cover the costs of prosecuting everyone who violates that law?
Since they're probably mostly coming from OCONUS, I'm willing to pay a little extra for drone strikes on the call centers in Bangladesh and India.
double aught
AG
eric76 said:

EMY92 said:

I think everyone takes this part of Texas for granted. In nearly ever race this year, the Republican candidate got between 89% and 95% of the vote.
Not to get off track, but where is this? I find it hard to believe anyone in a contested race is getting 90%. Maybe Putin.
EMY92
AG
Go to a small town in the upper Texas Panhandle.

Not a lot of liberal happenings up there.
Socially liberal NPC 888
Wildmen03 said:

They've gotten worse for me the last month or so. It's like the scammers saw the end coming and got into desperation mode. I don't even answer my work or personal cell phone anymore if I don't recognize the number.
They found a way to bypass the AT&T app designed to stop them too. It's almost continuous all day on both my personal and work cell phones.
BBQ4Me
AG
Not OCONUS.
https://gizmodo.com/fcc-hits-robocaller-with-120-million-fine-but-the-call-1825941926
double aught
AG
EMY92 said:

Go to a small town in the upper Texas Panhandle.

Not a lot of liberal happenings up there.
I stand corrected.

Also, Google's Pixel phones do a pretty decent job of screening spam calls.
eric76
AG
double aught said:

eric76 said:

EMY92 said:

Not to get off track, but where is this? I find it hard to believe anyone in a contested race is getting 90%. Maybe Putin.
Nearly all of the top ten most Republican Counties in the country in most elections are in the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandles. Usually, the number one most Republican county is Ochiltree County where Perryton, Texas is located. We are usually not too far behind them.

By the way, in my county, we had our first Democratic Primary this year in more than two decades. I don't remember how many people voted in it, but it wasn't very many.
aggolfer
AG
Known about this for quite a while. I have been testing STIR/SHAKEN with some major carriers since the beginning of the year.
eric76
AG
From https://www.consumerreports.org/robocalls/billions-of-robocalls-industry-regulars-pressured-to-find-a-solution/:
Quote:

The numbers are simply staggering: October's massive robocall volume means 170 million robocalls were placed per day, 71 million per hour, and 2,000 per second, with each person in America receiving an average of 15 robocalls, according to YouMail's breakdown.

And there is apparently something that can help:
Quote:

Many companies, including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Verizon, have services that alert you that an incoming robocall may be from a scammer or spammer. In some cases, such services are free, but for a few dollars more per month you can get a more robust version that can block the robocalls from ringing on your phone.

AT&T, for example, offers a basic free service that customers must enable to use. But for $4 per month it offers Call Protect Plus, which the company says is more robust and includes automatic fraud blocking. Verizon offers a screening service called Premium Caller ID for $3 per month. T-Mobile offers a service for no additional charge.

What you should know: While the carriers' systems are able to successfully notify customers of calls that may be problematic, they are far from perfect. Scammers can still spoof legitimate numbers.

Also, we can report the scam calls:
Quote:

If you receive an unwanted call that you believe is spam or a scam, make sure to report it to the FTC (you can make a report online) or to your telecom provider. By reporting unwanted calls, you can help the regulator go after bad actors.

Here's the URL for reporting the scams: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1.
flakrat
AG
Ain't going to happen if history is accurate. How about they put a stop to spoofing phone numbers first?
mazag08
AG
Ya.. Ive been getting 3-10 calls a day for going on 5 years.
AtlAg05
AG
The most consistent unsolicited calls I get are from A&M. Other than that I really don't get many, but I also don't answer any unknown numbers.
eric76
AG
Congress wants to fine robotcallers $10,000 per call!

From https://gizmodo.com/a-new-senate-bill-would-hit-robocallers-with-a-10-000-1830502632:
Quote:

The Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence (TRACED) Act, raises the penalty for robocalls from $1,500 per call to up to $10,000 per call, and allows the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to take action on illegal robocalls up to three years after the calls are placed, instead of a year.

The Act also aims to push the FCC to work along with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security, Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and other agencies to provide information to Congress about advancements in hindering robocall and prosecuting scammers.

Perhaps most importantly for us highly annoyed Americans, the bill would also force phone service providers to use call authentication that filters out illegitimate calls before they go through to consumers.
YouBet
AG
On the rare occcasion I even answer my phone anymore it's a Chinese lady.

I don't understand why Americans would get calls from Chinese people since no one in America speaks Chinese.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.