XBox One X worth it?

2,633 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by adamsbq06
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We recently upgraded our 1080p TV to a 4K HDR TV. So naturally now I want to upgrade my gaming console. I have the original Xbox One and an original PS4. I'm thinking of trading them both in, a few games, and an iPad I don't use anymore and get an XBox One X.

Is it worth it? My XBox is actually the OG, Day One Edition. I'll mainly be playing RDR2 and Black Op4...and of course some PUBG.
Bregxit
AG
I upgraded from the S to the X and even that was worth it...and I don't have a 4K TV yet.
Aggietaco
AG
I swapped the X for the Day One edition just because it ended up running me ~$100. I didn't notice a night and day difference in graphics on my older 1080 plasma, but it does typically run games better for me. Still spins up like a plane about to take off with BF1 though and will overheat if I partially close my media console.
wangus12
AG
dlance said:

I upgraded from the S to the X and even that was worth it...and I don't have a 4K TV yet.

I needed to hear this. Replacing my XB1 and couldn't decide between the S and the X since it won't be on a 4k tv....yet
OldArmy07
AG
Agree that it's worth it. RDR2 runs better on the newer consoles if you'll spend a decent amount of time on it.
Pman17
AG
I recommend going for the X. Games run better and you get 4K and 60fps on some. If you have a 1080p, you still get 60fps. Also for 1080p, the enhanced games are run in 4K and shrink down to 1080p. It's like taking a a video on your computer and shrinking down the window so that everything looks crisper. Same effect with going from 4K to 1080p.

Also note, the next gen Xbox is rumored Holiday 2020. But also note, Xbox Streaming (if you have a good internet connection) is coming. This may be one of the last computing at home consoles.
jr15aggie
AG
Definitely worth it! Everything runs & looks so much better on the X. No brainer with a 4K TV.

My kids have my launch day XB1 upstairs and it's very noticeable when I go up there and see my son playing PUBG... noticeably more blurry and washed out looking. Also very noticeable when he plays Fortnight on both... so much more pop and clarity on the 4K / One X combo.

And RD2 is friggin unbelievable on the X.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I appreciate the help. I traded a bunch of stuff in I never used anymore I got a One X for $80 out of pocket and it came with NBA2K19. I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight.

I did notice that once I plugged it all in it says my TV is 4K but doesn't support HDR10. I have an HDR TV, but it must not be HDR10. Oh well.
Pman17
AG
Check if your TV needs a software update. I have a Vizio and after an update two years ago, I got HDR working with my Xbox One S.

There also could be a setting you have to enable for HDR and some TVs the first HDMI port is the best port.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'll check when I get home to see if it needs an update. This is the TV I have..

Samsung NU7100
easttexasaggie04
AG
Well according to Samsung my TV does have HDR10+

I did find this link...
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-x-hdr
wangus12
AG
Anyone heard any word on Black Friday deals for the X yet
saltydog13
AG
$429 for battlefield bundle and an extra controller
Edit to add that the X will be $399 by itself which makes that battlefield bundle a heck of a deal
AgsWin2011
AG
My Sony tv is 4K HDR and supports HDR10. However, I had to turn the setting on in the TV setting and it the source has to be plugged in to either the 2nd or 3rd HDMI port or it won't work. Not sure what the reason for this is but apparently it's like this on a lot of tvs if not all of them.

Edit for congrats on the upgrade to the X. You won't regret it.
AgsWin2011
AG
Xbox One X bundles on sale now for $399
permabull
AG
tamusc
AG
Heismenberg said:

My Sony tv is 4K HDR and supports HDR10. However, I had to turn the setting on in the TV setting and it the source has to be plugged in to either the 2nd or 3rd HDMI port or it won't work. Not sure what the reason for this is but apparently it's like this on a lot of tvs if not all of them.
Yep, manufacturers like to save money by not having all the ports up to the latest, common standard (HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2). The other ports on your TV are probably HDMI 1.4. HDMI 2.1 is also stating to pop up, but there's not a ton out there with it yet..
zurcaled11
AG
Has anyone set up their xbox with keyboard and mouse? I saw that a recent update was pushed out to allow keyboard and mouse connections, wondering if this is only for the One X and One S though. If so, it would be another reason to upgrade.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Only my dumbass buys a One X two weeks before Black Friday sales.
Aggietaco
AG
Have price protection on the credit card you used? If so, take advantage of it.
saltydog13
AG
I did it with my one X and there was no lag from what I could tell either. It should be good for both the S or the X
wangus12
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Only my dumbass buys a One X two weeks before Black Friday sales.
Same here
adamsbq06
AG
Did the same thing a week ago traded in a S and a PS4 and got a PS4 Pro for $1 at GameStop
saltydog13
AG
Any reason for trading in the X for the Pro?
jr15aggie
AG
saltydog13 said:

Any reason for trading in the X for the Pro?

The X is significantly better than the Pro... 4K Blu Ray player and all around more powerful. So no, unless you want to play PS4 exclusives.
saltydog13
AG
Yeah exclusives were the only reason I could think of the trade.
Enviroag02
AG
Xbox one x is worth it for the media streaming alone. I don't use it for gaming at all. I've got Plex, Kodi, PS Vue. It's the center of my home entertainment with my 4K TV...and the Logitech harmony ultimate makes it all seamless.
adamsbq06
AG
MLB The Show

Also my trade was an S and a PS4. I'm sure y'all thought I was crazy trading an X for a Pro.

Lack of 4K Player isn't going to be that bad since I have all of my movies on movies anywhere and synced to my iTunes account.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.