Best Airpods?

6,785 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TMoney2007
I Like Mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any recommendations on the best airpods that aren't Apple airpods? I can't spend $145 on some earbuds. Do any of the knockoffs work as well?
-----------------------

LOYAL AG
AG
I haven't used anything other than the Apple ones but I will say they are the best device Apple has ever made. I'm not even an Apple fan only moving to the iPhone because it worked with the AT&T Microcell and my Galaxy S6 didn't and I have no other Apple devices but the Airpods are fantastic. Best bluetooth ear pieces I've ever had.
AggieFrog
AG
LOYAL AG said:

I haven't used anything other than the Apple ones but I will say they are the best device Apple has ever made. I'm not even an Apple fan only moving to the iPhone because it worked with the AT&T Microcell and my Galaxy S6 didn't and I have no other Apple devices but the Airpods are fantastic. Best bluetooth ear pieces I've ever had.

Agreed. They're worth the money - have used them daily for 18 months now.
KidDoc
AG
I bought these $36 beauties last week and I am loving them with my android. Great sound and they work perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYDQMXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How long will they work well? No idea. But I can buy 4 of them for the price of the Apple product so I think it will work out ok. I much prefer loops I hate simple buds.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hph6203
AG
Not to be argumentative, but these don't hold a candle to the AirPods. It is ridiculous how amazing the experience with the AirPods is. You pull them out of their case and put them in and they automatically pair with your phone, once they're in it's like they're not even there. Then right back in the case. They charge fast too so even when the battery gets low they're not out of commission for long.

They make it into my pocket pretty much every time I leave the house, there's no other headphone that I could begin to say that was true of before.
KidDoc
AG
hph6203 said:

Not to be argumentative, but these don't hold a candle to the AirPods. It is ridiculous how amazing the experience with the AirPods is. You pull them out of their case and put them in and they automatically pair with your phone, once they're in it's like they're not even there. Then right back in the case. They charge fast too so even when the battery gets low they're not out of commission for long.

They make it into my pocket pretty much every time I leave the house, there's no other headphone that I could begin to say that was true of before.
NP man enjoy your airpods! I know I have to hold down the power button on mine for a second to turn them on then it auto-pairs. I can handle that much hassle!

It helps that I'm pretty tone deaf and mostly like 70's/80's rock (or audiobook) so I don't need super bass and I'm not a super audiophile so I likely wouldn't be able to appreciate the difference in sound quality anyway.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Diggity
AG
well they're 80% cheaper so I would imagine some compromise would be expected.
BrazosDog02
AG
AirPods. Worth. Every. Penny.
gibby03
AG
I got these a while back, Raycon Global E70 Pro for under $90 and had to return them so I went with the Jaybird Run (which I love but more pricey, about $180 after tax). Both are very good and charge well and quickly.
cjsag94
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

AirPods. Worth. Every. Penny.

Why? So far, we've heard they charge and pair quickly. I think OP is saying he wants some decent wireless ear buds, but isn't interested in spending$150+.

So, I agree with OP, but also feel there is some really bad stuff amongst the knockoffs, which I think is why he was asking To me, there are no earphones worth that, save maybe good noise canceling for those who fly a lot.
DeBoss
AG
So I'm not an Apple guy, but will not any in-ear bluetooth device not work just like airpods? Or do they do something different.

I found a $50 pair from Monoprice that are great so far.
cjsag94
AG
Never heard of Monoprice, so I checked out their sight. Is that a brand, or a show? Is it generally good stuff?
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
The biggest separator is build quality and their compatibility with apple devices. Even the other high end un-tethered Bluetooth earbuds that may sound better (Bose and jay birds) don't touch the ease of use of AirPods when using with an apple product
cjsag94
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

The biggest separator is build quality and their compatibility with apple devices. Even the other high end un-tethered Bluetooth earbuds that may sound better (Bose and jay birds) don't touch the ease of use of AirPods when using with an apple product

How is build quality of an ear bud evaluated? And as the previous poster commented, I'll push a button and wait a few seconds for$100+ less.

I'm not saying they aren't good...I just don't get the "worth every penny" idea. Is like buying a Lamborghini to sit in rush hour traffic. I'm truly trying to understand what makes them functionally worth so much more...feels like everything else about Apple to be honest.
Astroag
AG
Lots of Salt on this thread (pressumably from apple haters)

If you aren't willing to pay the price (regardless of the reason why), then nothing anybody says will convince you buy them...

Now if you are looking at wireless earbuds in that price range and looking for comparison then that's a whole different story.

And as far as the build quality comment goes...Anybody that's into/uses electronics regularly knows exactly what this means...Quality Fit, finish, function, etc are easily discernible (and lacking) on cheap products

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
cjsag94
AG
No salty tears..and yes, I am not a fan of Apple. I regularly find what I'm finding here...Apple "lovers" think Apple has something superior that others don't...but Apple "haters" are put down,l when they ask for actual evidence.

That may be true in this case, hence the OP. I'm actually interested to know about quality, cheaper alternatives...but all the Apple lovers just want to say is that Air pods are worth every penny, without providing value explanations. Better finish? Easily pairs? Charges quickly?
Diggity
AG
the OP specifically excluded AirPods from his wish list.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
cjsag94 said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

How is build quality of an ear bud evaluated? And as the previous poster commented, I'll push a button and wait a few seconds for$100+ less.

I'm not saying they aren't good...I just don't get the "worth every penny" idea. Is like buying a Lamborghini to sit in rush hour traffic. I'm truly trying to understand what makes them functionally worth so much more...feels like everything else about Apple to be honest.
Reliability & longevity like most other products
Madmarttigan
AG
So I don't currently own AirPods but I want them because I've tried a bunch of cheaper knock offs in the 15-40 dollar range. First I have weirdly sensitive ears to where only apple headphones are truly comfortable to me for extended periods of time versus ones you have to squeeze in. The knock off air pods are larger than the real thing this leading to pain and lack of comfort and sound worse than any headphones I have ever owned, including 15 dollar wireless earbuds.

I'm sure AirPods aren't the best sound I've ever heard but finding a comfortable and quality earbud has been a real chore so I'm looking forward to these hopefully for my birthday.
Formerly tv1113
zip04
AG
For those asking what makes the AirPods so great:

1. Ease of use.
2. Comfort.
3. They stay in my ears even when running in heavy wind.
4. The charging case.
5. It auto pauses your music/movie/YouTube, etc. when you take it out of your ear and then auto resumes when you put it back in (great for at my work desk).

As someone else stated, I don't leave the house without these in my pocket. I've never been one to listen to podcasts or music outside of the car. Now, I often listen with one AirPod in my ear.
cjsag94
AG
The one pair of knock offs I bought last fall didn't fit me either..kept falling out. It seems odd that is a common issue as physical specs should be the easiest thing of all to copy.

That's a cool feature where it pauses when you remove it from an ear..That could come in handy..but also something a simple button push could replicate easily.
BBQ4Me
AG
Hopefully Apple will release new ones tomorrow
chigger
AG
So everyone keeps talking about how they stay in your ear so well. Like even with running. I must have something wrong with mine because I have tried my daughters and they start slipping out even when I just walk across the room.
Flashdiaz
AG
You must have giant old man ears
zip04
AG
My wife read that something along the lines of 10% of people have issues of them not staying in. You can buy silicon sleeves for them on Amazon to give them more traction if you are in the 10%.
LOYAL AG
AG
This is what I drive. No, that's not mine. If you know me you know mine is NEVER that clean and I haven't had cute little tires like those in several years. But you get the point.

Airpods are literally the only bluetooth earbuds I've ever had where people can hear me when I'm driving more than about 30 MPH. I've owned probably 10 BT devices over the past decade and have never had one I could use for a conversation until I got Airpods. Even the BT stereo microphone mounted on the steering column isn't worth a flip at over 40 MPH but Airpods give me a conversation up to about 50. The double tap to activate Siri, the translation for voice-to-text is excellent, even with the road noise. The range is good as well.
hph6203
AG
cjsag94 said:

The one pair of knock offs I bought last fall didn't fit me either..kept falling out. It seems odd that is a common issue as physical specs should be the easiest thing of all to copy.

That's a cool feature where it pauses when you remove it from an ear..That could come in handy..but also something a simple button push could replicate easily.

There is a reason you're paying a premium. They're not for someone who's going to clinch up over paying $150 for earbuds, but if you're in the market for $150 truly wireless ear buds then they're the best available for an iPhone user.

Here's a run down of why they're awesome:
You take them out of your pocket, open the case and put one in your ear and you get a tone to let you know it's connected, you put the other in and both end up connected. I have rarely had them not connect instantaneously.

Once they're in your ears you can hardly tell they are there. They don't move at all, and they are ridiculously lightweight.

The battery on them lasts somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 hours if you don't ever charge them, but if they are not in your ear chances are you have them in their case and they are charging.

If you ever do run out of battery they charge to 3 hours of usable life in under 15 minutes. They charge ridiculously fast. So 4-5 hours can stretch to all day use if you put them in your pocket for even 15 minutes cumulatively all day.

If someone walks up to you to talk, you take one AirPod out and it stops playing, you put it back in and it automatically plays. The interruption to your listening lasts as long as that person requires your attention. With a truly wireless earbud you're either paying for this feature or your jamming a button into your eardrum.

The size of the charging case is basically the same size as a pack of floss. It's small and if it's in your pocket along with your keys, your phone and your wallet it's a non-noticeable addition to your gear.

With the AirPods I have had zero interference issues with my body in between them and my phone (happens often with cheaper wireless earbuds, even mid tier ones like the Jaybird X2's I own). I can get up from my desk, walk the 40-50 feet to the break room with my phone at my desk and never lose connection. The only connection issues I've ever had was from walking from my bedroom to my kitchen and there was two walls and a stainless steel refrigerator between the AirPods and my phone and the interference wasn't as bad as cheaper earbuds and my phone in my pocket.

By comparison:
I own a pair of Sony MDR-1000X headphones that I used daily prior to buying the AirPods and I haven't used them other than for flights since. These were $400 headphones brand new and they have touch features which allow you to easily pause or limit the volume to allow for conversation.

I own a pair of Jaybird X2's. They are wireless "wired" earbuds. The interference on them isn't as bad as the cheaper similarly styled earbuds I've owned, but they are bad when compared to the AirPods. The other thing about these kinds of earbuds is that the added weight of the wire on the earbud causes them to fall out. I have never had an AirPod fall out of my ear.

In summary:
1. All obstacles of pairing are removed. It is seamless.
2. They do not prevent you from easily reconnecting to the people around you.
3. Effectively all day battery life.
4. Unobtrusive case that makes them easy to add to your daily carry items.
5. They are ridiculously comfortable and lightweight.
6. They never fall out of your ears.

You can spend $30-50 on earbuds that you'll use when you work out or are at work, or you can spend $150 on a pair that you will carry with you everywhere you go. I would never carry my Jaybird X2's with me, my AirPods I do.
Aggietaco
AG
Is the fit on the airport the same as the wired versions? If so, I'm in that 10% that cant turn my head without them falling out.
cjsag94
AG
hph6203 said:

cjsag94 said:

There is a reason you're paying a premium. They're not for someone who's going to clinch up over paying $150 for earbuds, but if you're in the market for $150 truly wireless ear buds then they're the best available for an iPhone user.

Here's a run down of why they're awesome:
You take them out of your pocket, open the case and put one in your ear and you get a tone to let you know it's connected, you put the other in and both end up connected. I have rarely had them not connect instantaneously.

Once they're in your ears you can hardly tell they are there. They don't move at all, and they are ridiculously lightweight.

The battery on them lasts somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 hours if you don't ever charge them, but if they are not in your ear chances are you have them in their case and they are charging.

If you ever do run out of battery they charge to 3 hours of usable life in under 15 minutes. They charge ridiculously fast. So 4-5 hours can stretch to all day use if you put them in your pocket for even 15 minutes cumulatively all day.

If someone walks up to you to talk, you take one AirPod out and it stops playing, you put it back in and it automatically plays. The interruption to your listening lasts as long as that person requires your attention. With a truly wireless earbud you're either paying for this feature or your jamming a button into your eardrum.

The size of the charging case is basically the same size as a pack of floss. It's small and if it's in your pocket along with your keys, your phone and your wallet it's a non-noticeable addition to your gear.

With the AirPods I have had zero interference issues with my body in between them and my phone (happens often with cheaper wireless earbuds, even mid tier ones like the Jaybird X2's I own). I can get up from my desk, walk the 40-50 feet to the break room with my phone at my desk and never lose connection. The only connection issues I've ever had was from walking from my bedroom to my kitchen and there was two walls and a stainless steel refrigerator between the AirPods and my phone and the interference wasn't as bad as cheaper earbuds and my phone in my pocket.

By comparison:
I own a pair of Sony MDR-1000X headphones that I used daily prior to buying the AirPods and I haven't used them other than for flights since. These were $400 headphones brand new and they have touch features which allow you to easily pause or limit the volume to allow for conversation.

I own a pair of Jaybird X2's. They are wireless "wired" earbuds. The interference on them isn't as bad as the cheaper similarly styled earbuds I've owned, but they are bad when compared to the AirPods. The other thing about these kinds of earbuds is that the added weight of the wire on the earbud causes them to fall out. I have never had an AirPod fall out of my ear.

In summary:
1. All obstacles of pairing are removed. It is seamless.
2. They do not prevent you from easily reconnecting to the people around you.
3. Effectively all day battery life.
4. Unobtrusive case that makes them easy to add to your daily carry items.
5. They are ridiculously comfortable and lightweight.
6. They never fall out of your ears.

You can spend $30-50 on earbuds that you'll use when you work out or are at work, or you can spend $150 on a pair that you will carry with you everywhere you go. I would never carry my Jaybird X2's with me, my AirPods I do.

Now that's how you make a case for a product...much more compelling than good finish and build quality!

So, for those not wanting to spend that much, assuming fine without the true wireless concept..are there decent options for the Bluetooth version that are wired together?
aggiebq03+
I have Beats X, which are also owned by Apple so contain the easy connect functionality that the AirPods do. Can be had for around $90 and I went with them because I prefer the teathered buds for peace of mind (harder to lose if one falls out), and they have tighter fit like more traditional buds vs Apple type.
BBQ4Me
AG
I can't wait to replace my Beats X. If I bend over or tilt my head (eg, while mowing or at the gym), then the cord flops to one side and pulls out the bud on the other side.
DeBoss
AG
Monoprice stuff is fantastic. I use their stuff exclusively and have never had problems. HDMI cables, phone cables, mounts, headphones HDMI switches, you name it. I found out about them because it is what CNET uses for their stuff. In their reviews, they always use Monoprice stuff.

Just trying to give an alternative, not an opinion. The rest of you can keep fighting about Apple stuff.
aggiebq03+
Haven't had that problem, the cord sits pretty stable and they are snug in my ear based on the earpiece I selected. But I'm used to earbuds that fit snug so YMMV based on preference for how tight you have them in the ear.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
For anyone having fit issues with the AirPods I would recommend looking at earhookz on Amazon. $5.99 gets you 2-4 pair of the silicone slip on pieces that will secure them in your ear much better.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Thriller
AG
I have the Beats X as well. 90% they work for me, but I do occasionally find them pulling because they've slipped to one side of my neck or the other.

My next set will probably be AirPods, but I don't have the need right now - just the want.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.