Home audio/tech for new build

4 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Grits
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there are multiple threads, and I've even responded to some, but we're 99% about to sign a contract this week to build and I'm doing some preliminary research into things which I'm completely ignorant.

Audio:

It's a 1 story home so the good news is that I'll generally have access to run wiring for in ceiling speakers at a later date if budget doesn't allow 100% desired coverage on day 1. The areas that will be tougher later (limited crawl space in attic, walls for media room) will be done during the build.

Goal: I'd like to be able to walk into my family room and say "alexa/google/jeeves, play metallica in family room" while my wife walks into the bathroom and says "alexa/google/jeeves play coldplay in the bathroom" while my dad walks onto the patio and says "alexa/google/jeeves play merle haggard on the patio".

I know that ecobee and whatnot have alexa enabled switches and thermostats that can handle the voice automation part, my primary question is what audio equipment do I need to handle this? Assume I have everything wired back to a central media storage closet. I assume a home theater receiver plus a networked PC for audio files?

I'm very green when it comes to whole home audio and automation. What "brain" would handle these simultaneous requests to different zones and what "brawn" would power the sound? Is this where Sonos comes in? I don't give a crap about their wireless speakers and whatnot - i want to use my own receiver (or whatever is recommended above) and my own speakers. Sound would go to a minimum of 6 locations and a max of 9.

For an office or bedroom, would 1 in ceiling speaker suffice, or would you recommend 2?

Video:

We'll probably cut the cord if we have adequate internet speed, but we'd still pre-wire for satellite to the roof and HD antenna to the roof. However, if we go w/satellite, what hardware/remotes would you recommend if we stored multiple directv receivers in a central location?

Lastly - if not at initial build we'll someday add a pool - is there a home automation system that can accommodate:

Whole system with voice, phone, and tablet control for:
1. Audio
2. Lights
3. Security cameras
4. Locks
5. Pool equipment (lights, pumps)

I've listed a ton of crap I can't afford, but I'd like an idea of what's available before we work w/the a/v installer, and I can scale back or future-proof as necessary by wiring critical items now that cost a fortune to wire later.
Take the trash out staff.
agdoc2001
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

I know there are multiple threads, and I've even responded to some, but we're 99% about to sign a contract this week to build and I'm doing some preliminary research into things which I'm completely ignorant.

Audio:

It's a 1 story home so the good news is that I'll generally have access to run wiring for in ceiling speakers at a later date if budget doesn't allow 100% desired coverage on day 1. The areas that will be tougher later (limited crawl space in attic, walls for media room) will be done during the build.

Goal: I'd like to be able to walk into my family room and say "alexa/google/jeeves, play metallica in family room" while my wife walks into the bathroom and says "alexa/google/jeeves play coldplay in the bathroom" while my dad walks onto the patio and says "alexa/google/jeeves play merle haggard on the patio".

I know that ecobee and whatnot have alexa enabled switches and thermostats that can handle the voice automation part, my primary question is what audio equipment do I need to handle this? Assume I have everything wired back to a central media storage closet. I assume a home theater receiver plus a networked PC for audio files?

There are a few different ways to accomplish this goal - I'll tell you the way I did it. I have a media closet with all my network and AV equipment. In my rack I have a "distribution amplifier" - mine is the Dayton MA 1240a which has 6 zones (12 speakers). I have in ceiling speakers mounted in all the rooms that I want music inside the house and some in the garage and backyard as well. I have Sonos Connects (NOT Sonos Connect Amps) connected to the inputs. The number you buy will depend on the number of zones of control you want, so basically you could get anywhere from 1 to 6 of them. Then I have Amazon Echo Dots scattered around the house for voice control.

You don't need any switches or controls on your wall because volume can be controlled by voice or via the Sonos app. Everything I bought secondhand on Craigslist, ebay, or AVSForums.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Thanks!
Take the trash out staff.
Grits
AG
Crestron has some good (easily programmable) touch pads that are very common for allot of A/V integration jobs.

Below is a link.

https://www.crestron.com/Products/Featured-Solutions/Touch-Screens-and-Remotes
-OCHWFLAKASSBRTTEFE-
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.