Wireless speakers for TV?

698 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Grits
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do good wireless speakers (that don't have a sound lag) exist for home theater yet?
agdoc2001
AG
Yes
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Counterpoint
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Yes
Thanks?
agdoc2001
AG
Sorry, apparently I'm turning into my dad and think that joke is funny now...

You'll have to give a bit more info. What are you looking to do? Do you want a surround system or just a speaker bar? Do you want a subwoofer? Do you already own speakers that you'd like to continue to use? Do you own a receiver?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Counterpoint
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Sorry, apparently I'm turning into my dad and think that joke is funny now...

You'll have to give a bit more info. What are you looking to do? Do you want a surround system or just a speaker bar? Do you want a subwoofer? Do you already own speakers that you'd like to continue to use? Do you own a receiver?
I have a nice receiver and cheap speakers but would give them up for a non lag wireless system (if necessary). I would like a surround setup w/ a sub. That's what I have now.

agdoc2001
AG
One more, do you need your front speakers (left, center, right) to be wireless as well or just the surrounds and sub?
Counterpoint
AG
agdoc2001 said:

One more, do you need your front speakers (left, center, right) to be wireless as well or just the surrounds and sub?

Just surrounds. Sub can even be wired if it simplifies things.
agdoc2001
AG
Sorry if you know this, but...First and foremost, there is no such thing a a completely wireless speaker. A speaker with no wires attached to it is a doorstop. Something has to drive the speaker. That can be an external or an internal amp. If the amp is internal, then you have to plug the speaker into the wall. If you don't have outlets near where you want your rears to be, then you are boned. Otherwise, an external amplifier can be plugged in, then connected to your speakers with speaker wire.

So you can go 2 ways here - Use "normal" speakers and sub with a wireless kit or use wireless speakers.

There are a number of good wireless speaker transmitters, SVS just released one, Outlaw makes one, as does a company called Amphony. The latency in any of these devices is minimal (20 milliseconds), and as long as you run room correction on your AV receiver, it will compensate for even this minimal latency.
Counterpoint
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Sorry if you know this, but...First and foremost, there is no such thing a a completely wireless speaker. A speaker with no wires attached to it is a doorstop. Something has to drive the speaker. That can be an external or an internal amp. If the amp is internal, then you have to plug the speaker into the wall. If you don't have outlets near where you want your rears to be, then you are boned. Otherwise, an external amplifier can be plugged in, then connected to your speakers with speaker wire.

So you can go 2 ways here - Use "normal" speakers and sub with a wireless kit or use wireless speakers.

There are a number of good wireless speaker transmitters, SVS just released one, Outlaw makes one, as does a company called Amphony. The latency in any of these devices is minimal (20 milliseconds), and as long as you run room correction on your AV receiver, it will compensate for even this minimal latency.
Yes, I know the first paragraph, but I didn't know about the last paragraph, and it was VERY helpful. Thanks so much.

Grits
AG
As of 2018 "wired" is still the way to go for best performance. A quick YouTube search on how to do cable drops in the wall, will help you hide all those pesky wires if you're concerned about setting up a complex surround sound system.

As far as Wireless goes, Outlaw or Sonos and several other big name brands and have good options.
-OCHWFLAKASSBRTTEFE-
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.