Russian Soyuz in flight abort.

791 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by kb2001
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross posted from politics.

Russian soyuz ms-10 was forced to make an inflight abort after a reported core booster failure this morning. Failure occured pre MECO, and if the telemetry was right it aborted right at 100km. The capsule performed a ballistic reentry downrange from baikonur cosmodrome, and both the Cosmonaut and Astronaut are reported safe and with no major injuries. They're headed to an airport in the recovery area, and will be taken back to baikonur afterwards.

Cause, and type, of failure are unknown.

The abort is at about 3:35
Not a Bot
AG
Glad they are OK. I think sometimes we forget how hard and risky going to space actually is. I didn't even know there was a launch today.
Ag_of_08
AG
Why I posted, the news is horrible about covering it.

If you want a pretty good space news outlet,presented in an understandable way, check out Scott Manley on YouTube. Seems a genuinely nice guy, usually doesn't get political, family safe. Everydayastronaut with Tim Dodd is another really good one. He's a little more of your "silly American content creator", but has been to both Boeing and spacex plants, is really quite knowledgeable, and probably has the best live launch streams for American launches.
kb2001
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

Why I posted, the news is horrible about covering it.

If you want a pretty good space news outlet,presented in an understandable way, check out Scott Manley on YouTube. Seems a genuinely nice guy, usually doesn't get political, family safe. Everydayastronaut with Tim Dodd is another really good one. He's a little more of your "silly American content creator", but has been to both Boeing and spacex plants, is really quite knowledgeable, and probably has the best live launch streams for American launches.
+1 for Scott Manley, love his videos. Both for general information on recent news related to space flight, and for his videos explaining concepts in rocketry
kb2001
AG
Updates from Scott Manley

Original:

Followup with better info and some more explanations

Basically, the theory right now is that there was an air valve failure on one of the boosters. This valve is what pushes the booster away from the main body for stage 1 separation. Since the valve didn't open correctly on one of the boosters, it hit and damaged the main body instead of pushing away, and the abort had to be called

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.