MTG Arena?

1,176 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by srob2004
srob2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who's starting to play it? It is a little different to learn but I really like it so far as a beta product. I do play a good amount of Hearthstone but this looks really strong and fun.

I played MTG back in JH/HS and a digital version is cool.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

I even got the $5 starter bundle which has huge value in it.

username is captdyck
Civen
AG
I've been meaning to start a thread for this. Seems like a lot of big HS names are jumping ship, given the stale state of that game, and the fact that most of them have a MTG background anyways.

I've kicked around for a couple of hours so far... Pretty smooth, interested to see how it grows.

In the shop, go to redeem code and enter "PlayRavnica". It'll get you 3 packs for free.

Edit: I also played way back in the dark ages of the 90's. I know I had multiple Mox back then, and it drives me crazy that I don't know where those decks are anymore. Each one is $5-6k at this point
Vade281
AG
I've been playing it. I've never played MTG before and HS since beta. It's been refreshing yet very confusing how to learn how to play.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
theterk
AG
I played a little bit of '90s Magic (3rd Edition) on stream a while back since MTG:A has a pretty consistent viewership on the platform. Many card games come and go, but MTG has been around a long time.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I've played MTG off and on since the mid 90's, and I played this version in the closed beta. It's okay I guess. It's MTG so it's still fun. I'm just really only enjoy playing with my friends. Never enjoyed playing strangers. Also the UI is a little off. It pauses during and after each phase if you have a card that can be played. So it's really easy to tell if your opponent has an instant (or doesn't) by the flow of the game.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Azariah
AG
I stopped playing Magic after 22 years in 2016 after Star Wars Destiny came out. I actually picked up Arena tonight for a bit. It's fine, but it reminds me how much better of a game Destiny is. You can definitely find a game in a heartbeat, though.
Civen
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

It pauses during and after each phase if you have a card that can be played. So it's really easy to tell if your opponent has an instant (or doesn't) by the flow of the game.
You can use that to your advantage to psych out your opponent sometimes, too. When you don't have an instant available, turn on full control anyways. It'll make you pass control at each phase, so your opponent might hold back thinking you have a counter of some kind in hand. It's a bit of a stretch, but it's something.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I guess you'd almost have to do that, otherwise your opponent will know when you don't have instants and can play accordingly
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Saxsoon
AG
Just started playing and been having a blast. Very accessible and love drafting again
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
91_Aggie
AG
Yes. If you are playing in an event that you spent Gems or gold, you will want full control on.

If you don't have it on, then the opponent can easily know if you have or dont have instants to play.

And thats a pretty big advantage if you are playing against a control deck or red direct damage deck.
91_Aggie
AG
In november they said they would be adding a feature to directly challenge someone you know.
srob2004
AG
bumping this up as you can now direct challenge... and Ravnica Allegiance is now live!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.