*****OFFICIAL GOOGLE PIXEL EVENT DAY THREAD*****

8,983 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AliasMan02
exp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today we see the not-so-hotly anticipated Google Pixel 3XL and it's smaller sibling the Pixel 3.

Anyone want to lay down cash that the bezel-less Pixel Ultra is real?

I'm ready for a new phone so will be paying close attention hoping some new details are announced beyond what we already know.

Watch it here -

Pre-order here - https://store.google.com/us/product/three?gclid=CjwKCAjwo_HdBRBjEiwAiPPXpAsKVPB--2ne_LwbuHKuPY3e_l2-h5si-zsZXRO9jclqoghjcmLQuRoCYUgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COHfrqLB-d0CFU-VAQodSMgIMQ
Civen
AG
The other thread is about 30 seconds older, but that might be because you spent too much time adding stars and "Official"

Gonna need y'all to fight this one out and let me know who the winner is.
AliasMan02
AG
Can't decide if we'll jump from the 2 to the 3 this year with the price increase. I guess today will tell!
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Google would get my business instantaneously if they surprised us with an iPhone SE sized phone today. But as they're not, my interest is purely academic.
Prime0882
AG
Still rocking the Pixel 1 it's working just fine. In this day and age I've no clue what would make me jump to a new phone anymore. Feels like innovation is pretty dead for all the new phones coming out that I've noticed.
DeBoss
AG
As long as it's IP68 or more, I'm jumping from my old Blackberry to the 3 today. Been waiting for this phone due to stock Android experience for a while. Wireless charging has pretty much been confirmed, so I'm good to go. Just trying to decide if I want the bigger screen or not. Sure seems to be a lot of extra money for that screen.
Civen
AG
JRC0811 said:

Still rocking the Pixel 1 it's working just fine. In this day and age I've no clue what would make me jump to a new phone anymore. Feels like innovation is pretty dead for all the new phones coming out that I've noticed.
Generally I upgrade when my battery life has degraded too much. 2-3 years seems to be the normal time frame for me.
nai06
AG
My Nexus 6P is on its last leg so I'm buying the 3XL no matter what. Any idea how long it takes from preorder to delivery?
PooDoo
AG
JRC0811 said:

Portrait Mode!
hatchback
AG
The Google Pixel might be enough to get me to try Android again after almost 10 years of iPhone. Will be following closely...
double aught
AG
I love my original pixel. Best phone I've had, so I'm gonna stick with it a while. But I am interested.
MW03
AG
I absolutely love my Pixel Book. So much so that I'm looking at a Pixel phone for the first time this iteration. I'm particularly excited about the camera.
walton91
Quote:

My Nexus 6P is on its last leg so I'm buying the 3XL no matter what. Any idea how long it takes from preorder to delivery?
Same here, except I'm probably going with the regular 3
MW03
AG
nai06 said:

Saw something today that said expected delivery on 11/1
GoneForGood
Google is putting a big emphasis on AI for the future.

Which might be a bit scary.
nai06
AG
preorder is live via Project Fi
zurcaled11
AG
Looks like $799 for Pixel 3 and $899 for Pixel 3XL on Project Fi preorder.

https://fi.google.com/signup#selectdevice

MW03
AG
It's amazing to me that these tech companies cannot find a single showman to run one of these presentations. The lady giving the talk on the Pixel 3 sounds like a college student giving a ****ty presentation to her class.
GoneForGood
Does anyone know if you sign up for Project Fi and end up switching back to Verizon, will the phones work on Verizon that you get from Project Fi?

Debating trading in my LG V20 to help with the price
AliasMan02
AG
zurcaled11 said:

Looks like $799 for Pixel 3 and $899 for Pixel 3XL on Project Fi preorder.

https://fi.google.com/signup#selectdevice

Less than I had seen projected.
MW03
AG
Damn. With a toddler running around my house, Top Shot seems like a really nice feature.
zurcaled11
AG
MW03 said:

Damn. With a toddler running around my house, Top Shot seems like a really nice feature.
Top Shot seems awesome.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Oh ****, shots fired directly at the Xs camera!
MW03
AG
Watching this lady is brutal. Why won't she stop awkwardly punctuating her sentences in the wrong places with that sporadic arm movement? I CANT TAKE IT
double aught
AG
A lot of these features are coming to older Pixel phones.
MW03
AG
Welp. I've been looking for a reason to dump Sprint. There it is. Verizon + Pixel 3 for me.
DeBoss
AG
Well that's frustrating. Jumped the Pixel 3 price by $150 over previous year. Might as well get the XL since it's only $100 more. Comes with a better screen too.
exp
AG
I'm fairly impressed by the software improvements they've introduced. Top Shot seems awesome. Love the dual selfie cams on the front, I think that's a great idea and differentiator. The free storage is of course still there.

Google Home Hub looks pretty sweet.

I'm disappointed that in 2 years they haven't increased RAM. OG Pixel and Pixel 3 both have same 4GB of RAM.

All in all the Pixel 3XL would be my choice if I had to purchase a new phone today but I'll keep rocking my OG pixel for a little longer. I have to use battery saver mode to make it last half a day, but that's fine for me.

The round keys on the Pixel Slate Keyboard look interesting. Would like to feel that. I rock a Macbook Pro for laptop purposes though and that ain't changing.

7/10 Google.
exp
AG
Agree...very little reason to purchase the base model. 3XL is not THAT much bigger and the screen looks significantly better.
exp
AG
Interesting...when Pixel came out it was pretty clearly advertised as free Google Photo Storage forever with no caveats. Then when Pixel 2 came out, they were very clear that this only applies to photos taken within the first 3 (or 4?) years. There were plenty of articles at the time of Pixel 2 release analyzing this difference in terms.

Well, the fine print on Google Store today seems to indicate they've retroactively changed the terms of the original Pixel storage plan. It's only unlimited for photos taken through the end of 2019. That's some BS right there! (though realistically no one will be using these phones in 2020 and beyond anyway)

Pixel and Pixel XL: Unlimited online original quality storage of photos/videos taken with your Pixel through 2020, high quality for all other photos/videos. Requires Google Account. Data rates may apply.

Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL: Unlimited online original quality storage of photos/videos taken with your Pixel through 2021, high quality for all other photos/videos. Requires Google Account. Data rates may apply.

Pixel 3 and 3 XL: Free unlimited online original-quality storage for all photos and videos uploaded to Google Photos from Pixel 3 through 1/31/2022. Photos and videos uploaded before 1/31/2022 will remain free at original-quality. Requires Google Account. Data rates may apply. Visit: g.co/help/photostorage.
double aught
AG
MW03 said:

Welp. I've been looking for a reason to dump Sprint. There it is. Verizon + Pixel 3 for me.
Have you looked at Project Fi? Good deal if you don't use a ton of (non WiFi) data.

And of course we can both save twenty bucks if you use my referral code: 8C80JD
exp
AG
...which conflicts with the data in the link at the bottom of that fine print I posted. Follow the link and it says this:

Free unlimited storage for Pixel and Pixel 2 users
  • If you have a Pixel, you get unlimited free storage at Original quality for photos and videos taken and uploaded from your phone. You won't be able to use "High quality."
  • If you have the Pixel 2, you get unlimited free storage at Original quality for photos and videos taken and uploaded from your phone before Jan 16, 2021. After that, new photos will be uploaded at High quality for free. If you upload new photos at Original quality, it will count against your storage. Photos uploaded before Jan 16, 2021 will remain free at Original quality.

Here they are clearly saying OG Pixel is unlimited period, and starting with Pixel 2, they put a time limit on it.

Hmm...
walton91
Just ordered the XL. I originally thought the XL would be bigger than my current 6P, but its almost exactly the same size with a larger display. Amazing the advances since the stone age (3 years ago).

Anyone getting one of these phones really look into Project Fi for your service. It has saved me a lot of money since I changed from Sprint 3 years ago.
howdydamnit04
AG
I wonder if you can cast to the Hub. Would make a great kitchen device if you can.
DeBoss
AG
Also get the bigger battery. It's a done deal for me, already ordered my black XL
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.