Issues with SSD upgrade

1,371 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sawemoffshort07
gibby03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 that I want to try and upgrade to a Samsung EVO 860 SSD. Did the Time Machine backup, plugged in SSD and did a recovery install onto the SSD with the computer. Logged in and the computer was running smooth and fast with no issues.

So, I went into System Preferences and assigned the SSD as the startup drive and restarted the computer. Booted up no issue.

Then, turned off computer, removed the HDD and installed the SSD, turned on computer and everything is slow and sluggish and I get the spinning pinwheel repeatedly for any click. Noticed when the computer boots up it starts, then puts up the circle with the slash line through it (assume it was looking for original HDD which it shouldn't be because I assigned it to the new SSD) and then continues to load up the new SSD OS.

Really confused here. Help?
Mattressburn
AG
No real answer here. I know I made the switch in my mid 2011 and it's like a brand new computer. I would reimage the drive and try again.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Maybe 2 or 3 suggestions --

1. On start up, try holding the OPTION key down to allow boot drive selection, and then select the SSD. That should stop any searching for your original drive.

2. Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility.

3. Super Duper is the best utility I've found for making a bootable backup of a Mac hard drive, bar none. It just flat out works. Best $29 I ever spent, really. I know it's a lot of work, but if you continue to have problems, put the original drive back in, install Super Duper, make a bootable backup, and swap again.

I hope this helps, although it might not. Trial and error, they say.
gibby03
AG
So I'm in the process now of installing the SSD straight into the computer, re-installing the OS and then will use Migration Assistant to move files over.

I did this yesterday with the SSD plugged into the USB port. It booted up and moved everything over and it was working like a charm so I was excited. Then when I put the SSD in it started to lag again. So I went to Geek Squad and the dude told me to try it again but have the SSD plugged in internally. He was suggesting that because it worked through the USB the computer was trying to setup up the "internal framework" as through the USB so when I switched it, it was causes the problems.

If this doesn't work I'll go back and try something else. Fingers crossed.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I created a clone via Carbon Copy Cloner, took out my old drive which still works, and installed the SSD. All this after online and local network backup. I haven't even transferred the files back as I don't necessarily need them on the MBP. This week, however, I'm having an SSD installed on my iMac and will transfer all the files on there.
Mattressburn
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I created a clone via Carbon Copy Cloner, took out my old drive which still works, and installed the SSD. All this after online and local network backup. I haven't even transferred the files back as I don't necessarily need them on the MBP. This week, however, I'm having an SSD installed on my iMac and will transfer all the files on there.

This is how I made my SSD clone as well. Carbon Copy worked perfectly.
gibby03
AG
So, basically it was the SATA cable that was the problem. Spent $15 bucks and installed it myself and voila, issue solved. Apparently the SATA cables on the Macbook's will become damaged because of the "bumps and ridges" on the machined inside of the laptop. It was causing it not to read the increased speed of the SSD. Put a little electrical tape on the bottom of the cable that touches the case so hopefully won't be any issues down the road.
Gigem314
AG
I upgraded my 2011 MacBook Pro to the 860 a few months ago. But unfortunately my graphics card went out, so the computer is useless.

I know the brand new MacBook Pro's are more complicated with the hard drive. But I'm trying to find out up to what year MacBook would the 860 work with. I'd like to use the SSD.
MGS
None of the Retina MacBook Pros will take 2.5" drives.
sawemoffshort07
AG
I have a 2011 MBP. The SSD has made a big difference, as did upping the RAM to 16GB. My graphics went out, I did the ~$175 replacement option on ebay, took about 10 days and im back.
Gigem314
AG
sawemoffshort07 said:

I have a 2011 MBP. The SSD has made a big difference, as did upping the RAM to 16GB. My graphics went out, I did the ~$175 replacement option on ebay, took about 10 days and im back.
Interesting, what replacement option did you use? Do you have a link?
sawemoffshort07
AG
https://www.ebay.com/usr/macbook-logicboard-repair-service-sales is the seller I used. You just need to match the model. There are not really "options", he just takes off your old failed GPU and puts on a newer GPU, same make/model. He also will change the thermal paste to supposedly a better one and this new GPU is not supposed to have the same issues as the old.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.