Time for a new phone

13,392 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by IslandAg76
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have always been a Samsung guy but while I live them new when it gets to be time for an upgrade they always get to the point of basically not working...apps crashing, not getting texts etc...

With all this BS over the last 3 phones I'm now considering going to the dark side and getting an iphone. The price irritates me obviously and being one of the mindless following minions bothers me....but what I mentioned above and just the fact that the new xs looks awesome.... I am considering it.

So tell me Samsung s9 or iPhone Xs
aezmvp
I'm still rocking my S8 plus and it's still fantastic. I do a little bit of maintenance cleaning out old apps and so forth every 3 months or so. I won't go back to Apple anytime soon.
Matsui
AG
iPhone x
Iowaggie
AG
Samsung S9 or iPhone question?

Just expect a bunch of Android v Apple debate.
BrazosDog02
AG
I've had both android and iPhone and have an iPhone X. You can call them mindless minions but many are just regular people that need devices that work reliably for a long time without a lot of ****ing bull***** That's me, anyway.
Tom Cardy
AG
I have a S8 from work and an iPhone X for personal - don't understand the hate from android users toward iPhone. Unless you're really a power user, I can't find any tangible benefits to Android. iPhone runs faster, is easier to use, and just works.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
It's not a big thing but I have always liked the versatility of Android where everything isn't just a square app all over the screen. My android i have a large calendar on one whole screen, a large weather widget, a large email widget , music widget etc.

If I can find an x should I get it or just do the xs for $3 more and have the newest
91_Aggie
AG
Ive still got a galaxy s6 (posting from it right now) still running strong. Unless the reliability problems started in later models.
BrazosDog02
AG
Also, I get iOS updates when they are released. On my note, I could wait for over a year. HATED that. Also, most of my friends and all of my family have iPhones and the integration with everyone is simply better. FaceTime is superior. iMessage is superior. Find my iPhone is superior. Find friends is superior. Camera is superior. There just wasn't anything noteworthy about my note that I would consider remotely close to iOS much less "better".

Most of the time when people complained about not being able to customize an iPhone, they just wanted different icons. Basically, people liked the aesthetic change. I'm not 16 any more and I'm well past the ability to change how it looks and more into the ability to seamlessly integrate across all of my iOS devices and work very well. Apps are vetted and work. iPhone apps are not the same as iPad apps and aren't the same as Mac apps.
HossAg
AG
iPhone Xs. I've had 3 flagship androids that were all glitchy lag fests compared to the iphone.
Bobcat-Ag
Why are you limiting your Android phone options to Samsung? The pixel 3 will be released in October.
Diggity
AG
I've never been a fan of the Samsung phones. Too much bloatware and don't love their version of Android.

Never had any issues with my Moto X, ZTE phone, or the One Plus 6. Got the new software within a few weeks of Pie coming out.

I'm not a huge fan of the ios ecosystem but I can see why they appeal to people.
Forum Troll
AG
cpsencik04 said:

So I have always been a Samsung guy but while I live them new when it gets to be time for an upgrade they always get to the point of basically not working...apps crashing, not getting texts etc...

Funny, this happens with regularity to my wife's iPhones over the years.

My biggest problem with Apple is the multiple logins and passwords required for their various services and getting locked out of a device either temporarily or permanently.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, that happens to my kids iPads constantly
Pman17
AG
Get the XS
BrazosDog02
AG
HossAg said:

iPhone Xs. I've had 3 flagship androids that were all glitchy lag fests compared to the iphone.

There's a lot to be said for software written explicitly for the hardware over software made to work with hardware.
BrazosDog02
AG
Forum Troll said:

cpsencik04 said:

Funny, this happens with regularity to my wife's iPhones over the years.

My biggest problem with Apple is the multiple logins and passwords required for their various services and getting locked out of a device either temporarily or permanently.

I'm not following. I have one login and password. All other third party passwords aretied to LastPass which is fully integrated into ios12. It worked great but even so, new iPhones have FaceID, I haven't typed in a password since I got the phone.

What passwords are giving you trouble exactly? Maybe we can figure that out because that sounds annoying as hell.
YouBet
AG
Not sure I care either way but Apple has publically stated their devices come with self-destruct so you are forced to upgrade. This has happened to my wife with every iPhone she has used and with my iPad. And it typically happens before my Android phone craps out.

I keep Android because it works a hell of a lot better with MS Exchange at work. If not for that, I would consider changing to Apple solely to end the incessant whining by my wife and friends that I'm not on Apple.
Absolute
AG
Kind of in the same boat. Been a samsung user since my HTC thunderbolt. Mostly notes. Been pretty unhappy overall with my s8 plus. Screen burn in bug time after 8 months. Dropped it last week and the stupid curved screen allowed it to crack. I don't use or care about the curve edges.

Was alway happy with my notes, but unhappy with the way the last couple seem to brick themshelves with updates once they hit 18 months old. Already seen mu s8 plus start taking several mini utes to connect to my car. After I noticed how It would connect I seconds when I first got it because it was So much better than mY note 4. Don't think my car software changed.

Actually wondering if I should change to a different android option (not going iphone.) Really tired of this replace every 2 year mentality. I don't care about the upgrades, they are substantial to me.
redd38
AG
I've been thinking about getting a new phone soon, but really the only reason is because my battery is starting to not last a full day. So I could actually just save several hundred dollars if the phone had a replaceable battery, which it does not. So a replaceable battery is something I'm looking for in my next phone, but it seems that doesn't exist anymore. Looks like maybe the LG V20 was the last decent phone with a replaceable battery, anyone know of another phone?
HossAg
AG
They don't do that anymore. The "self destruct" was throttling the CPU when the battery health got low. Now you have the option to turn it off.
RingOfive
AG
Get the Xs Max. It's the bomb-diggity.
The Fife
Kick-R said:

I have a S8 from work and an iPhone X for personal - don't understand the hate from android users toward iPhone. Unless you're really a power user, I can't find any tangible benefits to Android. iPhone runs faster, is easier to use, and just works.
Headphone jack. Mine gets used easily 4 hours a day, and that's coming from someone who already owns bluetooth headphones.
rbcs_2
AG
I've been an android user for a long time. A few months back I was given a couple of iPhones to test on through work. I'll give my thoughts although it may fall on deaf ears.

The biggest issue I have is battery life. Both of these phones will be done by the end of the day no matter the usage. This isn't going to be a huge issue for most and that's understandable. I'm just not used to it as I typically get 2-3 days on Android depending on how much I use the phone.

Second (minor) complaint is how most app settings are in the Settings app. This is just a different way of thinking than Android and it's not the easiest thing for me to get used to.

Third (minor) complaint is the lightning ports seem to collect a lot of gunk. I don't know what I'm doing since both of these phones sit on my desk 99% of the time, but I've never had to clean out the charging port on any phone before these iPhones (they stop charging on occasion which is a signal that it's in need of cleaning).

Other than that...yeah there isn't a lot to complain about. Getting used to the home button has been a slight annoyance. Both Android and iOS are so similar these days that you aren't going to miss a lot with switching from a feature standpoint. And iPhones are just well built, meticulously engineered devices and you can see and feel that.
nai06
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Also, I get iOS updates when they are released. On my note, I could wait for over a year. HATED that. Also, most of my friends and all of my family have iPhones and the integration with everyone is simply better. FaceTime is superior. iMessage is superior. Find my iPhone is superior. Find friends is superior. Camera is superior. There just wasn't anything noteworthy about my note that I would consider remotely close to iOS much less "better".

Most of the time when people complained about not being able to customize an iPhone, they just wanted different icons. Basically, people liked the aesthetic change. I'm not 16 any more and I'm well past the ability to change how it looks and more into the ability to seamlessly integrate across all of my iOS devices and work very well. Apps are vetted and work. iPhone apps are not the same as iPad apps and aren't the same as Mac apps.
Not to get into a pissing match but i'll disagree. A lot of differences come down to which specific phone you have and not always the OS. My best experience with android has been on Project Fi. The main reasons people like iphones is the integration aspect, even though iOS doesn't have a majority market share in the world or United States. Take find my iphone vs android. On android I can find my phone on a map, make it ring, lock the phone, log out of all my accounts, and even erase the device all from my computer or another phone. I can set up multiple profiles on the same phone if I need to let someone use it. Lets say I don't have my phone or it breaks. I can send and receive texts, answer phone calls, and make calls from any device that has hangouts (laptop, tablet, desktop, etc). The camera is debatable depending on the actual phone you are talking about. Everything is integrated just like it is for iOS via the google eco system. And yeah you can customize your phone far more than an iPhone. Its not style either. There are legitimate function benefits to widgets and the like. Somethings are pretty equal though. It's slightly related so go ahead and mention that google customer service is pretty damn good too. In reality I would say one is far superior to the other. You just have to pick the OS that works best for your individual needs and wants.

Also I noticed you did not include iMaps in your list of superior things.
Tom Cardy
AG
As of last week I can use google maps with CarPlay, so that's a big plus. It did take forever to implement, but I think it's a step in the right direction for Apple to allow that integration
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Well I bought my new device on Sunday and went with the Apple XS, I almost got sweet talked by the pro Samsung salesman and the $10 less a month s9 but i pushed through.

My family was very happy because this now means everyone but my wife is on apple devices which makes messaging easy and facetime of course...we shall see if this is a short hiatus or a permanent shift to the darkside
Velvet Jones
AG
Long time iPhone user, but my year old Note 8 smokes my old garbage iPhone 6+ that had broken solder issues on three different phones (that Apple STILL hasn't acknowledged is an issue).

Much better experience with MS Office integration, especially Outlook and Excel, the camera is as good or better than anything else on the market, and calendar, clock, weather and music widgets are easy to set up and extremely useful. Wife just switched from her iPhone 7 to an S9 and loves it. Only issue has been ecosystem investment via apps and a short learning curve.

I'm a convert. YMMV.
BrazosDog02
AG
I don't care for apple maps. Not sure if it really is inferior or if I just prefer google maps because of my android. I have used apple maps without any real issues though. Still like google.
Diggity
AG
WhatsApp is great for group chats and video calls. You don't all have to be on the same operating system.
benMath08
AG
I have an S7 that just went over the 2-year mark. I have no plans on replacing it at the moment, still running fine (and better than any of my previous phones at the 2-year mark).
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I have to admit, some of the first things i downloaded were all of the google suite items that iwas used to using...including the calendar, hangouts and chrome
JSKolache
AG
Was Samsung for first 3 phones, then tried a Nexus & still rocking it. Much better experience. Motorolas are good. Look into OnePlus as well.

I won't go back to Samsung for awhile unless I have to. Will never go Apple ha.
cz308
The last Iphone I had was back when Iphone 3 was out, and I've been an android user ever since. The last android I had was the Samsung S6 Edge+ and purchased a OnePlus5T earlier this year. Love the extended battery life compared to Samsung. The OnePlus6T and Google Pixel 3's are coming out next month. Personally, I'd go to one of those instead of the $1000 phones.
tamusc
AG
Does Android finally have an answer to iCloud backups that doesn't require rooting? That was one of the biggest pain points for me on Android. That and the ****ty work integration due to Android fragmentation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.