Remote Access to a Home Computer

654 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by flakrat
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a friend who wants to be able to occasionally remote into their home computer. In the past I would have helped them set up Remote Desktop Connection and do a port forward on the router, but with the new Ransomware out there that is hacking RDP connections, I'm not doing that anymore.

So, what is the best solution these days?
boy09
AG
TeamViewer
Dallas82
^^^^ What he said. I have it on three PCs and my phone. Use it all the time.
mhayden
If you plan on using TeamViewer, make sure you use a unique password. It's one of the more popular sites that password lists are used on because of all the access one can gain.
Tailgate88
AG
boy09 said:

TeamViewer
Ok, I used them years ago for awhile. Have they always been free for personal use? I used to use LogMeIn for this but they went to a paid only model. I have a Join.Me account I use all day long for business use, but I was looking for a good free solution for her. That looks like exactly what she is looking for, thanks!
bco2003
AG
free_mhayden said:

If you plan on using TeamViewer, make sure you use a unique password. It's one of the more popular sites that password lists are used on because of all the access one can gain.
On top of that, use two factor authentication, which TeamViewer offers.
rbcs_2
AG
I work from home and use the chrome browser plugin almost exclusively to my remote machine.
Vade281
AG
Just use google remote desktop.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
flakrat
AG
Most home routers nowadays provide VPN access to the home from remote.

That could be an option. Set up VPN on the router. Configure the client on his remote system followed by using RDP as usual.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.