YouTube TV

797 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieBarstool
AggieStan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
couple questions-

1. If I have older TVs, what is my work around?
2. If I have a 2nd property, Can I stream it there without any issues?
3. Pluses/ minuses for those that have it
Thanks
Sb
rynning
AG
You need a streaming device like an Apple TV, Roku, or Chromecast. Yes, you can stream anywhere, but there may be some restrictions. Others may have better details about that.

There are other services you may also want to look at: Playstation Vue, DirecTV Now, and Sling TV are the most popular. They all play on the same devices and have a one week free trial. Available channels differ based on service and tier.
tfunk02
AG
Quote:

They all play on the same devices and have a one week free trial.
YouTubeTV is not on Amazon devices. I was using FireTV for PSVue and had to change to Roku for YouTubeTV.

You have to check into your home area once every 3ish months, but will work out of your area if you do.
Caesar4
AG
AggieStan said:

couple questions-

Thanks
Sb
1. If your older TVs don't have HDMI, then this Roku may work for them, if those TV's have at least video & audio inputs. https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus

2. I don't know for certain about a 2nd property, if it's local...But for one of my kidsw lives in another state...After 3-4 months of him using YouTube TV, he had to login to YouTube TV again via his Roku after returning home. Back before I signed up with YouTube TV, I asked YouTube TV support about my immediate family use the service at a remote location. At that time, I was told that was fine (didn't violate their usage agreement) but they may have to occasionally login through whatever device that they use, from the "home" location. I haven't bothered to see if that is still YouTube TV's policy.

3. Not much to dislike with YouTube TV, IMO.
Pros:
  • Can watch recordings from pretty much anywhere, any device. For me, that was nice to record and later watch from any room in my house or if I'm on vacation somewhere. TimeWarnerCable formerly offered that service as something called WholeHouseDVR, but after TWC became Spectrum, Spectrum does not offer that (but they still support it, if you already had the service).
  • Can setup to record (from my phone), or even watch, if I'm not at home.
  • Recordings seem to stay in my library for a long time. I haven't yet had a recording automatically deleted.
  • Cheaper than the TWC/Spectrum offering.

Cons:
  • May only be offered in certain regions/cities. I'm not sure about the details...maybe you *can* get it even if your location isn't "supported"...maybe in this case you just don't get any local channels?
  • If you've recorded a popular program, popular enough that many other people have recorded it, then YouTube TV somehow replaces the recording in your DVR'ed library with an On-Demand version. You can still forward/rewind through the program, but I think you cannot forward through commercials. So, once commercials start showing at some point while watching one of the "popular" recordings, then you cannot forward through the commercials.
  • No PBS channels. But, you can use the PBS app on the Roku to watch on-demand. You may have to become a PBS member, don't recall for certain.
  • For some obscure sports, I *suspect*, but am not certain, that trying to record a specific sporting event may result in recording all instances of that sport. Not sure about this though.

Here's a review I recently saw: https://www.techhive.com/article/3211536/streaming-services/best-tv-streaming-services.html

Also, FYI: https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2886643/1
JSKolache
AG
Different tiers from diff streamers offer various number of simultaneous logins. I think I get 3 on DirecTV now. We have one main TV at the house, so I can also log in from elsewhere - phone and/or laptop at deer camp house.

If you watch ESPN, make sure to download the ESPN app to your device in addition to the streaming service app. ESPN's app performs better during popular games than the streamer app.
AggieStan
Great info. Did discover that YouTube tv doesn't wk on Firestick. Poor research on my end
AggieBarstool
AggieStan said:

couple questions-

Thanks
Sb
1. You need one of the newer streaming set-top boxes that has the hookups for your older TV. Roku is probably your best bet here.
2. As long as you have internet, you can watch TV using your subscription. Some channels local to your zip code may be blacked out.
3. It sucks (for me) because it's sports-heavy and doesn't have the networks I want.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.