RetroPie

540 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 3rdGen2015
Ornlu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently bought a switch (including Megaman X) , and now I'm jonesing for more retro games. So..... I'm thinking about building a retro-pi for SNES.

I mentioned this to a coworker and they said now's a terrible time to do this because Nintendo has shut down most of the ROM-emulation hosting sites with copyright claims. However, I've been unable to find info via google (I just dont know enough of the gargon).

Is this true? Should I wait or plow ahead?

Also - if you've built one, care to share your lessons-learned?
kb2001
AG
It's fun, and relatively easy to build. I use a wired Xbox 360 controller and it works well. The only annoyance is that I have to setup the button mapping every time I power the Pi on. Putting the image onto the SD card was easy, loading games to it was easy, I really didn't encounter any problems

As for ROMs, just google around and find them. You can wait on the Pi until you've found the games you want. I have quite a few, I don't remember where I found them, but it wasn't difficult. Maybe Nintendo has done a good job getting the sites taken down, but there's really only one way to find out for yourself

Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

Nintendo has shut down most of the ROM-emulation hosting sites with copyright claims. However, I've been unable to find info via google (I just dont know enough of the gargon).
Yes, this is true. But it just means you have to go to less than reputable sites to get them.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/bjbped/nintendos-offensive-tragic-and-totally-legal-erasure-of-rom-sites
OCEN99
AG
Just last night I was able to find a ROM my kid wanted (Super Mario RPG) at the second link Google returned, so they're still available out there.
Civen
AG
Give some consideration to just getting the SNES classic - Amazon

Out of the box, it's more limited than a RetroPi but overall much easier for day to day use. I'd guess it comes with most of the games you'd want to play, anyways.

And if the built in games don't scratch the itch you can mod it to add more SNES games, or even to play games from other consoles.

I have a NES classic, SNES classic, and retropi setup. The snes classic gets the most use by far.
3rdGen2015
AG
They haven't released a full list yet, but some of the older games will be included when Nintendo finally releases their Switch online service next month. I think the only game that has been confirmed is SMB3, but it might be worth waiting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.