iPhone 6 Touch ID

655 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dubi
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been using an iPhone 6 for the last year or so, with the Touch ID feature enabled and functioning as expected. Yesterday and today I noticed that the Touch ID feature was non-functional.

I have reset Accessibility settings related to the Home button. I've backed up the phone and erased everything (all steps to resolve that I found on various on-line blogs), and setup the phone as a new phone. Still, I get an error message : Failed Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again.

iOS 11.4.1 is the updated OS version.

It's frustrating to have access to this feature (which I actually enjoyed over having to key in a passcode) and then it's just gone with no apparent ability to restore it. Anyone encountered this? Is this Apple trying to tell me I need to upgrade my phone (which I won't, incidentally, as I have never been compelled to own the latest and greatest of anything).
Charpie
AG
I didn't think the 6 supported Touch ID, only the 6 plus and beyond?
chigger
AG
I have a 6 and have Touch ID. I think it was introduced with the 5S.
WES2006AG
AG
Charpie said:

I didn't think the 6 supported Touch ID, only the 6 plus and beyond?
NM, didn't read the post right above mine
Charpie
AG
Gotcha. Carry on
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Yeah, it was definitely supported on the 6. It's weird that the feature has just gone away on my particular phone.
rynning
AG
Try rescanning your fingerprint(s). I have scanned both index fingers and both thumbs on my 6, but for whatever reason my right thumb stops working well after a month or so. (I think the print changes over time. )
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
rynning said:

Try rescanning your fingerprint(s). I have scanned both index fingers and both thumbs on my 6, but for whatever reason my right thumb stops working well after a month or so. (I think the print changes over time. )
I tried. No worky.

When I open up the TouchID & Passcode setting, I find all of the places where you can use TouchID grayed out (iPhone Unlock, Apple Pay, and iTunes & App Store). The Fingerprints section is also grayed out. When I try to swipe to "On" the iPhone Unlock option, I briefly see the screen where it shows a picture of a hand holding the phone and gives a description of how to set up the touch fingerprint. Almost immediately the screen changes to the message: Failed. Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Well, not only is the Touch ID not functioning, now the device is frequently warm to the touch, and the battery lasts all of a couple of hours.

Looks like I have to get a new phone. I'm going to stick with the iPhone, but am uneasy about the prospects of this kind of thing happening again if I get another 6. I'm not interested in dropping $800 or more on an 8 or a grand on a 10. Looking at a 6S Plus. Should I have any concerns over this issue happening again? Or should I take this 6 to the Apple Store to see if it's worth my while ($) to get them to fix it?
dubi
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Well, not only is the Touch ID not functioning, now the device is frequently warm to the touch, and the battery lasts all of a couple of hours.

Looks like I have to get a new phone. I'm going to stick with the iPhone, but am uneasy about the prospects of this kind of thing happening again if I get another 6. I'm not interested in dropping $800 or more on an 8 or a grand on a 10. Looking at a 6S Plus. Should I have any concerns over this issue happening again? Or should I take this 6 to the Apple Store to see if it's worth my while ($) to get them to fix it?
IMO a 6s is not worth fixing.

We have never had an iPhone break, so I think this is rare in our experience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.