PAX South 2019

3,566 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bryan98
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tickets go on sale Thursday, Aug 16th

Jan 18-20
SeattleAgJr
Screw that.

PAX Prime in less than 3 weeks!
SeattleAgJr
Wow. They sell the tickets 5 months in advance?

It is bad enough with the 2-3 for Prime.
Vade281
AG
I'm in!
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
Bryan98
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Wow. They sell the tickets 5 months in advance?

It is bad enough with the 2-3 for Prime.

I think earlier is better; it allows people who travel to make plans. I think they go shorter on Prime to make it more regional, but South doesn't have that problem.
Predmid
AG
likely can't go this time. Sad.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I enjoyed it this year (Jan 2018) but honestly, it really didn't provide me with nearly as much as Comicon does. It was literally 35% of the floor being Magic the Gathering (which I don't play) and most of the games were Indie platformers. There were several Youtubers there but I don't get star struck easily so that was meh for me. I did enjoy it but not enough to go back.
Predmid
AG
And I love the MTG part of it.
Azariah
AG
I played SW: Destiny there last time around, and had a pretty good time. I will probably go again. Dreamhack in Austin was substantially better than PAX, though.
AgSportsFan89
AG
My buddies and I are talking about going for the first time. Do the badges sell out super quick? No idea when registration is supposed to open today.
Pman17
AG
The first year passes went fast but last year there were passes available all the way up to the event.

Badges will probably go up around noon or 1.
Bryan98
AG
AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

I enjoyed it this year (Jan 2018) but honestly, it really didn't provide me with nearly as much as Comicon does. It was literally 35% of the floor being Magic the Gathering (which I don't play) and most of the games were Indie platformers. There were several Youtubers there but I don't get star struck easily so that was meh for me. I did enjoy it but not enough to go back.
Did you see the whole show? Magic was less than 10% of the show floor, easily. Probably less than 5%. I hang out in Tabletop all the time. Magic probably takes up less than a fifth of that one area.
theterk
AG
Since I had a great time at Quakecon this year, should I go to PAX South? From what I gather, the LAN was pretty lame this year (power outages, internet outages, evacuations). Should that scare me from coming next year?
Bryan98
AG
theterk said:

Since I had a great time at Quakecon this year, should I go to PAX South? From what I gather, the LAN was pretty lame this year (power outages, internet outages, evacuations). Should that scare me from coming next year?
PAX South had those things, or Quakecon? I was in Dallas around Quakecon and there were power outages and such because of the heat.

I don't remember any of that happening at PAX South. That said, I've never done the LAN there. More of a console guy these days.
Marsh
AG
Marsh
AG
Bryan98
AG
Got mine! Been every year so far, hope to keep going every year.
theterk
AG
PAX South. Actually, they were complaining about Dreamhack in Austin. NOT PAX SOUTH. Disregard my previous question.
Pman17
AG
I got my Saturday passes. See y'all in January!
Halibut
AG
My work decided to make this a business/networking trip for me and a couple co-workers. They're paying for the 3-day pass and hotel. Should be fun.
SeattleAgJr
This was my tenth PAX this year (PAX Prime/West), and I think it is my last.
Really did not enjoy much about it at all.

Here is a write-up that captures some of my thoughts.

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/pax-still-convention-gamers-streamers-media-changing-game/
Pman17
AG
Wow! The pin thing and Exhibitor priority is stupid. We haven't experienced that much at PAX South. The big publishers rarely show up so it's mostly indie game booths. Last year Xbox was there but just a giant Mixer Streaming booth. Two years before, Nintendo just to show off the new 3DS. Twitch used to have a small booth stage but I don't think they were there last year. Nothing gets revealed at PAX South either so it stays small. I remembered one year people were in line for some PC game for some free glowing lanyard, but other than that, nobody is handing things out for free. PAX South seems like the middle child compared to East and West. Doesn't get a lot of commercial attention. I skim through the booths but don't wait in line for anything. The fun is all in meeting up with online friends in person and playing games.
RadAg14
AG
This is very accurate. Ive only gone the past two years but there felt like a huge increase in occurances described by that article. In the devil may cry 5 line, there were two groups of 4 who did this. They rotated turns at one station.
Bryan98
AG
Fortunately for me, I don't go to PAX South to collect pins or play video game demos. I think you've got some fair complaints, but for me it's a great time meeting up with friends to mainly play board games, etc.
Pman17
AG
Got my badges in the mail the other day.
HeadGames
AG
Predmid said:

And I love the MTG part of it.

I plan to go for the first time. I'm looking forward to some MtG and gaming with old buds.
Pman17
AG
Exhibitor List Out
http://image.email-reedexpo.com/lib/fe661570756602747214/m/1/PAXSOUTH19_EXPOHALLMAP.pdf
Bryan98
AG
OMG, this is only two and a half weeks away!
Predmid
AG
wts: two 3 day passes.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Bryan98 said:

AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

Did you see the whole show? Magic was less than 10% of the show floor, easily. Probably less than 5%. I hang out in Tabletop all the time. Magic probably takes up less than a fifth of that one area.
From what I remember of last year...there was a Super Smash Brothers competition stage that was pretty cool. Right next to it was the tabletop gaming vendors and tables which took up a ton of space...then moving past that was the vidio game and Mixer area. Monster Hunter had the largest lines but that's all I really gathered from the main floor. I did go upstairs and went to some of the rooms but that's all we really took in. Was their more?
Bryan98
AG
AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

Bryan98 said:

AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

From what I remember of last year...there was a Super Smash Brothers competition stage that was pretty cool. Right next to it was the tabletop gaming vendors and tables which took up a ton of space...then moving past that was the vidio game and Mixer area. Monster Hunter had the largest lines but that's all I really gathered from the main floor. I did go upstairs and went to some of the rooms but that's all we really took in. Was their more?
That's a pretty decent description, I was just saying that Magic doesn't take up 35% of the floor.

For me, PAX is an opportunity to play games with my best friends, other friends, new friends, and even some strangers. One of the cool things about it is that it's a bit of a jack of all trades. You could attend a ton of panels. You could enter a bunch of video game tournaments. You could play a bunch of video games on your portable or in Console Freeplay. You can play tabletop games of an infinite variety. You can enter boardgame tournaments, Magic tournaments, etc. etc. Cosplay, role play, meet streamers, trade pins, go to concerts, go to parties.

PAX is a Choose Your Own Adventure of geeky fun. Mine centers around playing various board and card games with friends and trying to eat some good meals. In fact, every year I've been to PAX (including one in Seattle) I've been to the keynote (except last year) and the Q&A with the Penny Arcade creators (every year), but I think I'm going to skip that this year. I can catch it on YouTube later if I really want to.
Bryan98
AG
IT'S THIS WEEK OMGBBQ!
Vade281
AG
I'm ready!!!
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
Bryan98
AG
I've met some of y'all in years past, but I'd love to meet more of you. If you see people playing in Tabletop with a maroon tablecloth on the table, ask for Bryan. If they point at a redhead, say "No, the other Bryan!"
dcaggie04
AG
Bryan98 said:

I've met some of y'all in years past, but I'd love to meet more of you. If you see people playing in Tabletop with a maroon tablecloth on the table, ask for Bryan. If they point at a redhead, say "No, the other Bryan!"

I would just ask for Fedaykin. Probably much easier.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.