Power surge: now a/c won't come on

978 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by flakrat
Jones12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had a power surge earlier in the neighborhood. Everything came back on but the A/C. It didn't flip the breaker, but I assumed the switch at the unit would have flipped off. Everything is on, and my Nest keeps saying no power to the Rh line. Any advice how to get it back on or switches I'm not seeing to reset?
Bobcat-Ag
Is there a switch next to the unit in the attic?

Also, post on the home improvement board if you haven't already.
91_Aggie
AG
There might be a breaker at the unit (just in case you only looked in the breaker box do everything else in the house
Jones12
AG
Yeah I tried hitting the switch in the attic and the one on the outside unit. Couldn't find a breaker in the attic
flakrat
AG
Check for a fuse at the air handler (usually the same type of fuse as used in cars).

I found out about this when I accidently cut the thermostat wire in half. After splicing it back together I had the same alert on my nest.

You'll likely have to take a panel off to find the fuse.
JTA1029
AG
Probably the capacitor on the unit. Turn off power and open the side of the AC. Check for a bulged capacitor. Buy a replacement on Amazon for like $30. Having an AC guy out to do this will cost you like $200+.
FatZilla
AG
flakrat said:

Check for a fuse at the air handler (usually the same type of fuse as used in cars).

I found out about this when I accidently cut the thermostat wire in half. After splicing it back together I had the same alert on my nest.

You'll likely have to take a panel off to find the fuse.

Had same as this on mine when i touched wires together installing my nest. The unit had an internal fuse that blew. Had to take the exterior panel off just to see it, never knew it was there till ac guy showed me it.
Jones12
AG
And just got a new fuse from Lowe's or something?
FatZilla
AG
Jones12 said:

Mine was a popup fuse so i just pushed it in and everything worked afterwards.
flakrat
AG
Jones12 said:

Mine was a 3 amp automobile fuse (purple). I found some at Autozone but they wanted $10 for only a few, so instead I ordered a full kit of fuses from Amazon for $10:

http://a.co/eNjhDPW

I had several car fuses on hand, just not a 3 amp.
flakrat
AG
Jones12 said:

Did you check the fuse on the air handler? Curios of that was it.
Jones12
AG
Fuse wasn't bad, but when I took it out and put it back in it magically kicked on. Guess it just needed to reset or something?
flakrat
AG
Good news, maybe the contacts had some corrosion and removing / reinserting removed it.
flakrat
AG
I now keep a couple extra fuses at the air handler just in case
JSKolache
AG
Common issue with power surges - our goes off every time. Fan blows, but a/c does not cool.

I shut it off at thermostat for a few mins and then turn back on. Works every time. Called home warranty tech out once to take a look and he found nothing wrong.
flakrat
AG
JSKolache said:

Common issue with power surges - our goes off every time. Fan blows, but a/c does not cool.

I shut it off at thermostat for a few mins and then turn back on. Works every time. Called home warranty tech out once to take a look and he found nothing wrong.

That's been my experience with everything I've tried to service with a home warranty
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.