Tiny PC Options?

845 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tamusc
CBarrett12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any knowledge about these tiny PC units? Seems like most companies have them but I like the thought of having something out of the way I just plug into the TV via HDMI, connect wireless keyboard and mouse, etc. Move my old clunky desktop that's on the way out and free up some space. Are they lacking in anything I need to know about? I only want it for browsing the web, and the occasional photo import/upload/transfer to external hard drive. TIA

Similar to this one but not narrowed down to anything yet...

https://www.amazon.com/Z83-W-x5-Z8350-Processor-1000Mbps-Computer/dp/B074M5P2JP/ref=zg_bs_13896591011_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DKEH16VVDD8RCY3RY0EZ
Synopsis
Reminds me of the Mac Mini. If it has the RAM, processor power and such it should work great. ETA. For what you intend to use it for I wouldn't see any problems.
Jethro95
AG
I have one and it works fine for light usage. The only issue I have with it is that 32gb is not much room so eventually you may need an external drive since the 32gb chip is not upgradeable.
flakrat
AG
I replaced my home linux server with an Intel NUC (old server was a retired gaming machine, not very efficient).

I really like it and am able to run several virtual machine on it without a performance hit.

I also have an ASUS chrome box reinstalled with Linux that runs my home NVR software (DVR for surveillance cameras).

Both are great, use minimal power and are very small. They are small enough that I built a shelf for them out of Legos

Tom Cardy
AG
It's not gonna play many games, but it'll work great for a couch browsing or streaming machine.
flakrat
AG
Also, I have raspberry pi's that function as a DNS server and a Nintendo/Atari console emulator, both of which are about the size of a credit card.
flakrat
AG
Wrong icon
AggieBarstool
Yes, it's garbage. Deployed a few dozen as digital signage solutions at work utter garbage. Replaced them a year later with Inte NUCs. HUGE improvement and marginal cost difference.
Wildmen03
AG
I work for an event venue and we've had clients use them to stream presentation videos or PowerPoint. I wouldn't think they'd be good for much more than the most basic of computer programs.
flakrat
AG
This is the Intel NUC I run my home off of. Purchased three years ago and still just as fast as the day I got it:

http://a.co/i1IFfzr

$319 for the NUC, plus RAM and SSD

Interestingly, 3 years ago all three components cost me $477, now for the same three components it's approx $587

tamusc
AG
flakrat said:

This is the Intel NUC I run my home off of. Purchased three years ago and still just as fast as the day I got it:

http://a.co/i1IFfzr

$319 for the NUC, plus RAM and SSD

Interestingly, 3 years ago all three components cost me $477, now for the same three components it's approx $587

Have to love inflated RAM prices.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.