moving overseas - desktop computer question

760 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sts7049
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i did a little google research but wanted to check this here as well.

i've got an HP envy desktop and am taking it overseas in my relocation. will the computer work on 240V? what i'm reading online says that almost all power supplies can switch automatically. i checked the spec sheet for mine but it doesn't mention acceptable input voltages...so i assume that probably means it's ok.

thoughts?
UmustBKidding
Almost all are auto switching, and if it's recent model or energy star rated it almost certainly is. Most flat panel monitors also. Typically only over seas issue is your keyboard won't have characters for euro, pound Sterling and other currency. Can still enter them but will have to use it's key code instead of a a single key stroke.
Civen
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Almost all are auto switching, and if it's recent model or energy star rated it almost certainly is. Most flat panel monitors also. Typically only over seas issue is your keyboard won't have characters for euro, pound Sterling and other currency. Can still enter them but will have to use it's key code instead of a a single key stroke.

You can have windows switch your keyboard layout. On Windows7:
Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Change Keyboards > Add....

Your keyboard won't have the new characters visible, but if you learn what they are and what keypress you need to get them, Windows will interpret correctly. Your right-alt key changes function, and lets you access all the accented characters and international currency symbols. You can find pictures online to show you which new characters are where on the keyboard.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
We have used keyboard stickers to handle Cyrillic characters when dealing with Russia.
Keyboard stickers

sts7049
AG
thanks guys
flakrat
AG
If it's not auto switching, it should have a switch on the back to set the voltage. Switch is likely red and requires a blade to toggle it (like flat blade screw driver).

FYI, you'll probably want to go ahead and order plug adapters to convert your NEMA 5-15P plugs to whatever the destination country uses for wall sockets.

Additionally, check for your stereo, Fire/AppleTV/Chrome Cast... etc, TV or any other electronics you'll be bringing over.
sts7049
AG
yeah, i'm on that already. i bought a few voltage converters for stuff that only works on 120v.

i've been living in the country the last year and a half, but only just now moving there permanently with all my stuff. so i'm used to living on plug adapters.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.