Android Pie Changes - Discussion

1,223 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GarlandAg2012
exp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you have a Pixel, go update your OS to Android 9, then turn on the new "swipe up" multitasking gesture that they are pushing. This eliminates the multitasking button we've known and loved and replaced it with a swipe up gesture.

My first reactions:

The entire screen looks a little cleaner, but it doesn't actually save any space so why not leave the old button there?

The new cards view is less efficient IMO but looks cleaner. This is a trade off I'm not exactly pleased with.

The new gesture functionality causes you to lose the double tap of the multitasking button quick app switch which is something I used ALOT. Losing this is probably my biggest problem with Google's changes.

Overall the UI looks great for Android Pie but it just *feels* to me like Google made a strong effort to copy a lot of iOS stuff and I hate that. Even the way apps open and close now, that animation seems like an iOS wripoff rather than the last version of Android which actually seemed faster to me.

I haven't seen any of the new AI stuff they're promoting yet.

I'm on a Pixel and was planning to upgrade to Pixel 3 or 3XL this Fall but the rumor of only 4GB of RAM has me mildly worried/disappointed.

Initial thoughts?
exp
AG
Just realized you can copy and paste from within the new multitasking view. That's pretty sweet.
heddleston
AG
I tried the gestures for about 15 minutes last night and i hated it. If they just straight copied Moto's it would've been fine, but whats the point of it if you still have the back button there? Also i read that the Pixel 3 will have the gestures by default with no way to get the nav bar back. So dumb.
exp
AG
Okay I just figured out the new fast app switching... You swipe right along the bottom navigation bar...works pretty sweet. I dig it.
Bobcat-Ag
I have a Moto X4 and was hoping to get it early, but nothing yet.
Bobcat-Ag
https://www.theandroidsoul.com/android-pie-release-date/

This was a really good consolidation of what phones are eligible and when it is expected to roll out. It looks like I have a few months to go until I will be upgraded.
Duncan Idaho
Ha. You people with your clean Android.

You should try the value added features that Samsung added.

Who needs Google assistant when you have bixby?
exp
AG
I was really looking forward to upgrading to 3rd generation Pixel but on top of the 4GB of RAM Issue (same as my 1st Gen) the new notch looks just awful when paired with the notification bar. The notification bar is expanded down to match the enourmous notch.

I've also seen screenshots where the notification bar is transparent, which looks a little better. I'm curious and skeptical of how Google will handle this.

I might try to go an ungodly THREE years on my original Pixel. I feel like the last 8 months of that would be a real beating.
Jason_Ag98
AG
I'm in the same boat. Overall I'm still pretty happy with my original Pixel but was looking forward to an upgrade to the third gen. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach at this point and might try to wait it out another year as well.
Civen
AG
The brightness slider has been changed. I used to run at about 20% brightness, and after the update that left the screen way to dark... barely visible. I have to bring it up to 50-60% now, for roughly the same level of brightness as before.

Apparently google changed the slider from a linear scale to a logarithmic scale, since they felt the previous implementation didn't offer very good fine tuning capability. The new slider is supposed to give you better ability to decide how bright you want it to be.
John Beckwith
AG
I got the update on essential phone and tried the new gesture controls for about a day before turning them off. I didn't like the look of the unbalanced nav bar and I really didn't feel like the change added value.

There was an article I read somewhere where one of the driving factors behind the change was described as being for people switching to Android who were confused by the legacy nav.

I'm trying auto brightness again for the first time in years. It's supposed to adapt to what you want after getting a day or two manual adjustment data.
Arthur Stilwell
The media volume is no longer lowered when you connect to a bluetooth speaker. It was annoying to always have to turn up the volume on the phone each time the phone connects to my car's bluetooth.

And the lock screen now displays the weather and battery life.

Those are the two changes I cared about.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Arthur Stilwell said:

The media volume is no longer lowered when you connect to a bluetooth speaker. It was annoying to always have to turn up the volume on the phone each time the phone connects to my car's bluetooth.

And the lock screen now displays the weather and battery life.

Those are the two changes I cared about.
I think it should be remembering your volume preference when you connect to different bluetooth speakers:
https://www.xda-developers.com/android-pie-bluetooth-volume-memory/
GarlandAg2012
AG
I'm also in the boat of being ready for a Pixel 3 upgrade and being a little underwhelmed. I guess I can get over the headphone jack since many phones are doing that now, but only 4 Gigs of RAM doesn't seem that future proof IMO. I'll probably still get it due to my battery life decreasing significantly but I might go for the Pixel 4 and sell the 3 if it's not great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.