Old Apple Computer

3,676 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TexasRebel
cadetjay02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have inherited an Apple II C. I've seen some for sale on Ebay for varying prices, but what are y'alls thoughts on its value, where best to sell it, and is there anyone here with interest?

G Martin 87
AG
My trusty Apple IIC served me well throughout my A&M years. Great little computer. It might be fun for nostalgia and playing some old games. If I still had my 5 1/4 diskette collection, I'd be interested.
kb2001
AG
I still have our old one also, it's fun for a few hours, not really beyond that. These used to go for $200-300 10 years ago on ebay if you had disks also, but when I got a hold of ours and tried to sell it about 3 years ago it was topped at $20. I gave up trying to sell it after a while and it's collecting dust again. I have the computer, monitor, external disk drive, power, cabling, 4 joysticks, and all our old disks. Lots of games, some office type software, and various other things. Just not a market for it anywhere.

Wildmen03
AG
If i works and you were closer I might have been interested. Though I doubt my wife would want more old stuff in the house.
nwspmp
Where are you located and is there any range of price you were looking for? I've been debating picking one up as a piece of retro computing lately...
getme
I would love to have a IIGs

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Is there any way to save text documents on one? It'd be a great no-distraction writing device, if there was some way to get it to a modern computer as an RTF or text file.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I think that is the same type PC we used in HS Computer Math class in the mid-1980s.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
jay,

Actually, interest in the Apple II line (II/II+/IIe/IIc/IIc+/IIGS) has increased in recent years, and, believe it or not, new peripherals have been released to bring it (more) into the 21st century.

I realize that you probably want to sell your IIc rather than use it (and eBay will bring you the best price), but ...

For example, you can replace the floppy drive with a device called the FloppyEmu, and that will allow you to store volumes of up to 32 megaBytes on an SD card, as opposed to volumes of 140 kiloBytes on the original 5-1/4" single sided floppy.

About to be released is an accelerator that ups the processor speed from 1 MHz to 16.6 MHz.

RAM can be increased from 128k to 1 meg, as well.

Granted, these things are laughingly puny compared to the Intel beasts we run today, but for folks who enjoy programming a machine that you can actually master, inside and out, they are fascinating, and fun.

When I want to do serious work with text files, I use a program called AppleWorks 5.1, which is completely scriptable.

Yeah, I'm an old Apple II guy. I still use a couple of highly souped up Apple IIGS's on a regular basis, in fact, and find them, in some instances, more efficient to do real work (word processing and basic spreadsheet) on than my Windows 10 Intel machine with Microsoft Office. I've got mine set up where they generate .pdf files from the work I do, and save it on a networked 'modern' computer. They've got hard drives and print to multi-binned LaserJets, too. Go figure.

TLDR - Put your IIc on eBay to get the maximum price.
Icecream_Ag
S
My uncle repairs/refurbishes old apples as a retirement hobby.

There is a healthy market for them from the recent to about to retire computer science folks looking for a little nostalgia.
Joe Exotic
AG
Where are you located and how much do you want?
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
So is there a way to have it output a text file/something other than a PDF?

I have an old word processor, which is meant to be hooked up to a printer. If I have a word program open, and press "send" it starts typing it out on the screen.

I realize it might be easier to get a mac mini and only put write room on it, though...
(If there was a way to get the color scheme of this forum to be green on black, that would be awesome... at least, to me...)
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

So is there a way to have it output a text file/something other than a PDF?

I have an old word processor, which is meant to be hooked up to a printer. If I have a word program open, and press "send" it starts typing it out on the screen.

Sure thing. And remember, you asked.

There are a couple of ways to do this -- the manual way, and the automatic way.

Both involve 'printing' the text from the word processing program through the Apple II's serial port/card and cable to the target Mac/Windows/Linux computer equipped with a virtual serial port, usually provided by a USB-Serial adapter on that target computer.

1. The manual way -- open up a serial terminal program on the target computer, 'print' from the Apple II, capture the text in the target's terminal program, and then save the captured text as a text file. That's a lot of cumbersome work.

2. The automatic way -- here's a brief version of how I do it -- since Mac OS X and Linux (both being Unix-based) allow running a serial getty, I trigger (from the Apple II end) a Unix shell script that captures the input received on the serial port. When a transmission is finished (or an end phrase is received), the script saves the contents of the capture to a text file and places the text file on the target computer's Desktop, for use by that target computer.

The program I use on the Apple II (AppleWorks 5.1) is completely scriptable, so all this is automated and other than specifying that I want to save a file as 'text' (or convert to pdf) on my Mac, it requires no effort. Your word processor, I suspect, would probably require your entering the Unix commands manually, but that's really not a giant deal.

Most Unix gettys will require a login and password to gain access, but even that can be dispensed with (when security is not an issue). Otherwise, the login and password can be sent each time by the Apple II, with a logoff accomplished when the 'printing' is done.

I realize I left out a lot of details, but you get the idea. I must say, though, it's really rather slick to see it all in action.

FWIW, I haven't yet used this type of setup with Windows 10, as I've never spent the time to see if I could run a getty on the new WSL (Windows subsystem for Linux).

Remember, you asked. ;-)
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

It'd be a great no-distraction writing device,

So would a mini-PC, an older Mac Mini, or an older Dell with a Linux on there. All of which would work much beter than a II(x).
MGS
Just install an Apple II emulator on a Raspberry Pi and get this.

cadetjay02
AG
Sorry, I got busy with the start of school approaching. I'm in DFW and am open to offers. Ebay has similar systems listed for several hundred dollars but they don't seem to get bids. This is a working system with the program disks and extra 5.5's.

Proof of life-

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
As I can't seem to PM you, $50+shipping? We have a good intern, who's a computer science major, who will like something like that.
cadetjay02
AG
No PM's because I don't have stars. I'm not in that big of hurry to sell at that price. I might take a stab on ebay and see if there are any bites.
flakrat
AG
I'd love to get ahold of an Apple II with a copy of Auto Dual and Chopper Command
Garrelli 5000
AG
I remember when my dad bought an Apple II-e. It had the green screen but there was an option for a "color" monitor that apparently had 4 colors.

One of my dad's great quotes to little Adam Ag 98 - "Son, what am I going to do with 4 colors?"
Take the trash out staff.
txam92
AG
My dad also got an Apple II+ for us when we were kids. Loading games by 5.25 floppy drive I played a lot of Dr J vs Larry Bird & a text football game that we could call the playa and hack so we could put our own names in the game. The good old days....
rynning
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

believe it or not, new peripherals have been released to bring it (more) into the 21st century.
Yeah, someone recently developed an HDMI card for the Apple II that actually reads all the text and graphics mode memory locations (rather than convert the analog signal back to digital) to create a very nice high-def image:

And here is an online Apple //e emulator that seems to work pretty well: https://www.scullinsteel.com/apple/e
G Martin 87
AG
flakrat said:

I'd love to get ahold of an Apple II with a copy of Auto Dual and Chopper Command
Loved Auto Duel, Titan, and Castle Wolfenstein.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Yeah, the VidHD is John Brooks' project.

Brooks is a super sharp guy, and a heavyweight in the video game industry, running Blue Shift Inc.

I recently worked on a software project with him (my part was very minor) involving some 65C02/65C816 assembly language, and found that I literally had to keep an opcode card handy when examining portions of his code. He's damn good, particularly on optimizations.

As you noted, there are some pretty good Apple II/IIGS emulators out there these days. I run several on my Macs and on my Windows machines.

On the Mac, the best IIe emulator is probably 'Virtual ][", while the best IIGS emulator is either Sweet16 or GSplus. Under Windows, the best IIe emulator is probably 'AppleWin', while the best IIGS emulator is either GSport or GSplus.

While they're certainly fast (effective speed of 200 MHz+ vs. 1 MHz on a stock Apple II), there is something about programming a 'real' Apple II that just can't be beaten. Crazy, I know.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
G Martin 87 said:

flakrat said:

Loved Auto Duel, Titan, and Castle Wolfenstein.
Fellas,

You'll find most of those old Apple II games available as disk images on Asimov:

Apple II Games - Asimov Site

Try this instead if the link doesn't go through since it's FTP:

<ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/>

Slowly but surely, these games are all being freed from the copy protection schemes they originally sported, and will run under standard Apple II DOS's (e.g. DOS 3.3 or ProDOS or GS/OS).

rynning
AG
NM
The Fife
I donated several shoeboxes full of them that I bought from a ghetto thrift store near downtown Bryan in 2000 for $1. Apparently someone ran or was on a BBS because there was all kinds of cracked stuff on there. I'm still waiting to find out what all was on there.
TexasRebel
AG
IIe or GTFO!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.