After nearly 10 years of Android I'm trying iPhone

3,669 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Lost
sdc177
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I started with the T-Mobile G1 in 2008 and have been Android only since. But I decided to give Apple a try and have a new iPhone arriving tomorrow. Any tips for a crusty old Android user?
Beattu13
nm
sdc177
AG
Okay, specific question. I have already received a couple cases from Amazon but they will be going back because they do not seem to be protective enough. I don't care about bulk so what are the most protective cases out there for the iPhone 8+?
SeattleAgJr
Add OP name to list of users to shun.

Look into Otterbox.
Bulky, yes, protective? Hell yes.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Which iPhone? I've only had Magpul cases for my iPhones but my latest on is a 6. Doesn't appear they make one for the X.
sdc177
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Which iPhone? I've only had Magpul cases for my iPhones but my latest on is a 6. Doesn't appear they make one for the X.
8+
Wildmen03
AG
I have an otterbox commuter on my plus. It's a really solid case that's not too bulky.
aggieforester05
AG
I made this switch about 2 years ago. I had hated Apple for a long time after losing a bunch of music due their BS DRM and a general disdain for anything required to connect to itunes.

At the time I had been through back to back Android phones with horrible battery life. They would die before lunch every day working in the rural area with marginal cell service that I do. My boss was fed up with not being able to call me because my phone was dead and told me to buy an iphone.

I bought a loaded out Iphone 7 256GB and have never looked back. The battery life is so much better, I've run out in a single day only a handful of times in the past two years. It's always been snappy and consistent as well, no problems at all.

The only things I don't like is the slow charging time (Don't forget to charge it at night, because it will take most of your work day to get it to 100%.), no wireless charging, auto play of itunes in bluetooth vehicles (The same god awful U2 album every time!!!), and the lack of ability to attach contact cards from the messaging app (You have to share the contact card from the contacts app, so stupid).

As far as cases, I have this one and it's been awesome. After almost two years the screen cover is of course scratched up, but otherwise the case is still in great shape and has saved my phone through about 1000 drops including one in a hot tub:

I-Blason Iphone Case
sdc177
AG
aggieforester05 said:

auto play of itunes in bluetooth vehicles (The same god awful U2 album every time!!!)

???
Pman17
AG
sdc177 said:

aggieforester05 said:

auto play of itunes in bluetooth vehicles (The same god awful U2 album every time!!!)

???
Apple gave everyone a free U2 album several years ago. Nobody wanted it and couldn't get rid of it from their libraries, you can now btw.
BartholomhewRedNeck
Seems to me you won't be pleased with Apple devices
Jasomania
AG
I've just done a recent switch from a long time of having android to iPhone and it hasn't really been a problem. I miss a few android features like the back button, the notifications bar, SD card, and widgets but it hasn't been that big of a deal. The iPhone definitely has a much better battery life than android, my previous galaxy phones would get overworked heat up and drain the battery regularly if they got hung up on something or if i was in a place with bad reception, i haven't had that be an issue with the iPhone in the few months i've had it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
This is the best case I've ever found.

https://us.mous.co/

I backed them on Kickstarter because they had a crazy video throwing phones off of bridges and scissor lifts. I understand general hate cases on phones but this thing has been very impressive. Several bad falls and screen is still fine.
sdc177
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

This is the best case I've ever found.

https://us.mous.co/

I backed them on Kickstarter because they had a crazy video throwing phones off of bridges and scissor lifts. I understand general hate cases on phones but this thing has been very impressive. Several bad falls and screen is still fine.

Seems like a good case. However the goofy hipsters in the videos scare me.
diehard03
Quote:

Any tips for a crusty old Android user?

I've had mine for almost 2 years and I can't wait to go back. My battery life seems to be the same as samsung devices in the past, and my mind just hasn't seemed to "swap over".

I wont enumerate exactly what I don't like it about it because 1) I am sure I am glorifying Android from the past and 2) there are simple work arounds/things to know that make all of my Apple complaints moot.

I just don't see a real, tangible benefit either way.
JSKolache
AG
sinner
tunefx
AG
Been really happy with UAG Under Armor Gear for cases.
OriolePete
Why??? Unless you have all apple products this makes 0 sense. Even then, shame on you for buying apple products. LOL
OriolePete
My battery life would be great too if I was limited in what I could do. iPad pro is a very amazing product, but the phones and their OS in general are just vanilla. They've made up some ground with their camera and a few features, but as long as it is an iPhone, it will still only be an iPhone.
jtmoney03
AG
I have this case on my X and had an older model on my 6+ for 3 years before that. I will never buy another brand, as I'm a believer. I don't drop my phone often, but when I do, it seems to be in spectacular fashion. This has protected it from drops of up to 5 or 6 feet. Just today, I dropped it from handle level on a Silverado...right onto its face on jagged concrete. It didn't even scuff the case, let alone break the glass.

https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-5-5-inch-screen-Feather-Light-Military/dp/B01IA8Z2CO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533601551&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=uag%2B8%2Bplus%2Bcase&dpPl=1&dpID=51YPl7uSSmL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1
Furlock Bones
AG
I've been running Apple and Android side by side for 2 years. One for work. One personal. iOS is just a better more complete package. End of story.
boy09
AG
AstroPete said:

My battery life would be great too if I was limited in what I could do. iPad pro is a very amazing product, but the phones and their OS in general are just vanilla. They've made up some ground with their camera and a few features, but as long as it is an iPhone, it will still only be an iPhone.

A lot of people like vanilla... And a large number of people don't care about customization or removable batteries or SD card slots or whatever else the android fanboys hang their hat on...
sdc177
AG
So far so good. Thanks for those helping me here. I am sorry this has deeply hurt some of you. Went with the Otterbox Defender.

So if you are a heavy google person do you download google calendar, gmail, etc or do you go through the stock apple apps?
nwspmp
sdc177 said:

So far so good. Thanks for those helping me here. I am sorry this has deeply hurt some of you. Went with the Otterbox Defender.

So if you are a heavy google person do you download google calendar, gmail, etc or do you go through the stock apple apps?
Honestly, I just typically use the stock apps. They seem to work well enough for me, are deeply tied in with the alerting and other items and just work well with my watch
boy09
AG
I use the iOS Mail app for gmail, Google Calendar app for Google Calendar.
PooDoo
AG
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-by-Walmart-glass-screen-protector-for-iphone-7-8/185724068?athcpid=185724068&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-54c64fe1-362eae5b417fb659&athena=true

tempered glass screen protector plus a mophie battery case is what I've had on my iPhone SE with no issues
PincheDriller
AG
Im a heavy Google user with an iPhone and I use the Google apps instead of built in apps

Calendar, Gmail, Google drive and Google Keep

I'm tempted to go back to Android as I prefer the ability to set IFTTT triggers for phone actions. Mute phone based on location or action, etc...
Synopsis
Jasomania said:

I've just done a recent switch from a long time of having android to iPhone and it hasn't really been a problem. I miss a few android features like the back button, the notifications bar, SD card, and widgets but it hasn't been that big of a deal. The iPhone definitely has a much better battery life than android, my previous galaxy phones would get overworked heat up and drain the battery regularly if they got hung up on something or if i was in a place with bad reception, i haven't had that be an issue with the iPhone in the few months i've had it.

I have amoto E5+ and I've never seen a phone with a better battery life.

Quote:

The Moto E5 Plus has an enormous 5,000mAh battery, and Motorola claims the battery should last for 36 hours with regular use. The claim is mostly accurate. The Moto E5 Plus packs an enormous 5,000mAh battery. We were able to use the phone throughout a 12 hour work day without a problem.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/moto-e5-plus-review/

And it's one of the cheaper phones out there.
Synopsis
boy09 said:

AstroPete said:

A lot of people like vanilla... And a large number of people don't care about customization or removable batteries or SD card slots or whatever else the android fanboys hang their hat on...

Absolutely. Vanilla is for preferable to having extra memory, being able to replace the battery, and so on.
exp
AG
Furlock Bones said:

I've been running Apple and Android side by side for 2 years. One for work. One personal. iOS is just a better more complete package. End of story.

Not remotely true. iOS is severely limited in basic productivity functions of the OS.
ThatOneAg
Return it while you still have time and get an S9 or the like.
DayAg!
S
A second the 5000mAH. My old Android had a 3600 mAh. And the one I have now runs circles around the old one. I have the Moto E4.
Charpie
AG
I used to have both IOS and Android. Android for work and IOS for me personally. But I have a mac and an iPad so it makes sense.

Things I love about IOS is the flat out seamless integration within its apps. You don't have to think, it just works.

Things I love about android..the fact that I can customize the crap out of it. Sigh..I miss it, but it was a total time waste customizing it all the time.

Both are great.
nwspmp
exp said:

Furlock Bones said:

Not remotely true. iOS is severely limited in basic productivity functions of the OS.
What are the "basic productivity functions" of a phone that iOS doesn't handle?

Make calls: yes
Receive calls: yes
Send text messages: yes *
Receive text messages: yes *
Send e-mail: yes
Receive e-mail: yes
Send calendar invites/etc: yes
Receive calendar invites/etc: yes
Work with Exchange server: yes **
Take photos: yes
Use maps software: yes (Apple Maps and Google maps both, though Google Maps is a third-party download)
Play music: yes (and note, without iTunes. I haven't run iTunes in quite a long time, as that's a steaming pile of crap)
Keep track of my server synced contacts, Exchange and Google: yes
Banking apps: yes (and my particular bank apps have biometric integration within iOS, but not on Android)
Shopping apps, such as Amazon, eBay, etc: yes
e-Ticket system for my flights: Yep; works pretty well with the Wallet app, which even integrates with the Watch. My last flight I didn't even have to take my phone our of my pocket; just scanned my watch and walked on.

I mean, maybe my needs are simpler than others, but I've never found it a productivity need to change out the launcher system or to change the icons on my apps or things of that nature. To say iOS is "severely limited in basic productivity functions of the OS." is simply untrue.

And I do say this as not an Apple fanboy. I have had iOS devices, Android devices (probably more of those), and even back to Windows Mobile 5 devices, when it comes to phones. I'm much more of a Linux person and definitely use the hell out of my Android apps on my CBP, but basic and general productivity use is perfectly doable on iOS, and quite a number do.

Are there merits of Android over iOS, sure. But there's also merits of iOS over Android.

* - Arguably, using built-in tools to the phone, better than Android offerings. iMessage being synced without any other software between your phone, watch, tablet and computer and ability to use any and all at any time is arguably better than the stock offerings available on the Android devices I've had, though with additional third-party software, similar functionality can be had.

** - My iOS device syncs and works better with the Exchange system here than my S9 does, once again, with built-in software.
exp
AG
Something as simple as viewing a photo and directly attaching it to an email sent via Gmail. Based on my last experience... Can't do that on iPhone. They wall you in and limit the app integrations for sharing. Basically you have to use their native mail app to do what I just described. The work around is to open the Gmail app, compose an email, then attach your file.

Android doesn't discriminate in this regard...any installed app can take advantage of direct built in functions. It's little things like this that numbered in the dozens that you ONLY recognize when you go from Android to iOS. If you've lived on an iPhone your whole life then the expression ignorance is bliss applies to you.

Notifications are another great example of productivity. Android let's you take lots of different actions directly on a notification, like reply, archive, Mark as read, etc without ever leaving your app. The entire notification system in general is faaaar superior than the crap on iOS. The ability to quickly dismiss lots of notifications.

iOS is fine but it's a walled garden in comparison to Android and for me personally it feels somewhat limited.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.