iOS 12 Beta

6,384 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Charpie
ElectricAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else trying out the new beta? For work or fun?

I'm not a dev anymore but downloaded the public beta last night to give it a go. Not a full 24 hours in yet but it seems to be one of the most stable betas I've ever seen this far away from the GM. Which it should be. It's basically iOS 11 with some changes.

Any other thoughts or issues yall have run into?
Wildmen03
AG
I was going to try out one of the developer betas, but decided against it based on reviews. I always try to wait for at least the Beta 2 before diving in, but I've heard the first public beta this time around wasn't too bad. Knowing me I'll get bored and get it, I didn't have too many issues with 11's public Beta
ElectricAg13
AG
iOS 11 was pretty stable for me as well. But goodness I remember iOS 9 beating my phone into the ground. It was almost unusable during one of the betas. Can't remember which one.

I like the changes and additions but I wonder if the everyday user will notice much of any change since they are so so similar. Grouped notifications is long overdue. I didn't realized how nice they were until a group text blew up while I was in a meeting. Coming back to my phone was less overwhelming in that sense. But outside of that it will be interesting to see how much the general public uses shortcuts or whatever workflow was renamed. Screen time and the battery stats are nice to haves but more like "should have beens." Still glad they are there though. It's a welcome addition.

Still, very solid beta. If you do get bored you'll have at least a decent beta to mess around with. It also seems like apple is allowing devs to issue updates to their current app store app to fix issues with the current iOS 12 betas. That or the devs just seem to be caring more about that this year. Regardless, its a welcome change! I had read there were a few major apps with issues on the first developer beta but most have been fixed with updates from the app devs.
Pman17
AG
I'm on dev betas.

iOS 12 is stable on the iPhone X. I do run into some long term bugs, bugs that happen after a few days without restarting the phone. I had to restart the phone couple times a week. Sometimes the data signal goes out and you can't get it working even though it says your connected, restarting helps. Currently having GPS accuracy issues, throws me 10 meters away from where I'm suppose to be in Pokemon Go. CarPlay can be buggy too at times.

Watch OS 5, the first release was terrible. Everything was sluggish and battery issues. The current release is a lot better though I've had one issue with the exercise app, which would exit out of it to my watch face and I would have to open it everytime I want to check my time and heart rate. Restarting fixed it. Sometimes it would never connect to my phone to update my rings, restarting both devices fixed it.
Charpie
AG
downloading it now. daughter had the first beta on her phone. i saw her almost throw her phone through the car window she got so frustrated
bbattbq01
AG
Pman17 said:

Sometimes the data signal goes out

This happens in 11 too, usually if just turn off cell data from command center and turn it back on it fixes it.

Downloaded 12 last night. Haven't had any issues yet. Grouped notifications are a god send... should have had it a long time ago but very happy to have it now.
ElectricAg13
AG
I had read that people were speculating the gps issue had to do with the intel modems. Interesting to see if there is actually anything to that.

I'm running 12 on an iPhone 7 with no major issues yet. Battery life could be better... but it's a beta so I'm not really worried.
gigemhilo
AG
I'm waiting to see what you guys say about battery life. That's my biggest issue with mine right now ((7plus)
Wildmen03
AG
I've had it on my 7 plus for about half a week. I haven't noticed any major change to my battery life. I'd say it's about the usual. But I always play with my phone more when a beta comes out trying out new features.

I haven't come across many bugs so far. My ring app has frozen a few times during live view and I had one facetime call glitch out, but a hangup and call back fixed it.

The only medium sized annoyance is whenever I unlock my phone with touch ID it gives a full vibration vs the small haptic feedback. It was annoying the first day, but I've gotten used to it.
Charpie
AG
Battery life is better on my 8 plus versus the 11.4.1 beta
FTACO97
AG
Tempted to get it just to have Google Maps or Waze on my Apple CarPlay. Is that functionality in the beta?
ElectricAg13
AG
Battery life has been pretty good for me so far as well. I don't notice much of a change. The first few days it was awful but with the new battery stats I can see it was just from me poking around on the beta more. Once my useage settled back down to normal the battery life felt the same.

That full vibration on any Touch ID positive is driving me bonkers. I keep thinking it's a text especially if I rest my thumb on the home button while just checking widgets. I always unlock the phone to see no new notifications. Hopefully it's just a bug and they will assign a more distinct haptic feedback.

I have been running the beta on an iPhone 7 and while I never felt like it was slow on the 11.4.1 beta, ios 12 feels like lightning. The most shocking difference is loading the camera from the lock screen. So much faster now.
ElectricAg13
AG
I don't know this for sure since I don't have CarPlay but I believe I have read this isn't available yet. There may be a way to get a beta version of google maps or Waze from test flight but I'm not sure about that. Someone else may have actual experience and be able to chime in.
Bocaj
AG
Downloaded it on my iPad Air 2. Too scared to download on my phone for fear of not being able to use something throughout the day. Are y'all installing on your main phone?
Wildmen03
AG
Bocaj said:

Are y'all installing on your main phone?
Yep
I Like Mike
AG
Yep. iPhone 8, no big issues. Had some screen flashing twice, but relock and reopen makes it go away.
Bocaj
AG
Nice!
BEaggie08
AG
Nope. Not yet.
dragons06
AG
FTACO97 said:

Tempted to get it just to have Google Maps or Waze on my Apple CarPlay. Is that functionality in the beta?
No, Google and Waze have to develop and release those updates to their apps first. I would be shocked if either were ready in time for launch of iOS 12.
AG
IrishAggie13 said:

The most shocking difference is loading the camera from the lock screen. So much faster now.

Never noticed that being slow, but Ill be shocked if they finally fix the locking up glitch where if the camera is accessed from a locked screen and allowed to timeout and lock again it wont do anything until powered off then on. my SE has been doing this completely repeatable since day 1

ElectricAg13
AG
Developer Beta 3 is out.

Looks like it has resolved the strange buzzing during unlocking the phones with Touch ID. Hopefully this means PB2 comes later this week. Who knows with the 4th being tomorrow.
The Lost
dragons06 said:

FTACO97 said:

No, Google and Waze have to develop and release those updates to their apps first. I would be shocked if either were ready in time for launch of iOS 12.
This needs to be functional yesterday though!
Wildmen03
AG
IrishAggie13 said:

Developer Beta 3 is out.

Looks like it has resolved the strange buzzing during unlocking the phones with Touch ID. Hopefully this means PB2 comes later this week. Who knows with the 4th being tomorrow.

Yep the vibrate when unlocking is gone on mine now.
ElectricAg13
AG
Public beta 2 (same as Dev Beta 3) is out now.

The Touch ID buzz is gone on my phone now too. Very glad that's finally gone. Haven't found any other changes so far.

Saw Apple opened up the new shortcuts app to developers who request access. Anyone had a chance to mess around with it?
Charpie
AG
It keeps telling me it's up to date. So I can't download.

My gps is all jacked up
ElectricAg13
AG
Do you happen to have any other configuration profiles installed that may be preventing the new update?
Charpie
AG
No
Charpie
AG
I had to reinstall the beta profile to get the update. Getting it now
ElectricAg13
AG
What version are you on? I'm sure you're checked this. just trying to think of everything it could be. Maybe auto update worked in the background earlier today? The current build I've got is 16A5318D.

I had read a few people who did have gps issues with PB1 still had gps issues after installing PB2 until they turned off wifi, bluetooth and location, restarted, and then GPS worked perfectly.

Maybe a restart? Is it just not showing up? Again. I am just thinking of anything that may help.

Edit: disregard. I was typing this while you found an answer.
Pman17
AG
To Devs,

Shortcuts app is in beta. You can request for an invite in the dev downloads page. I got it, it's literally Workflow rebranded and added Siri Shortcuts support. Everything transfers from the Workflow app too. If you go into the settings of each workflow, you can enable the Siri Shortcut.

Pretty neat! I work in the maritime industry and I can ask Siri to locate my boat in Google Maps.

Those in the public beta, you can download the Workflow app in the AppStore for free. Just can't get the shortcuts but you can set up workflows now so they can migrate to the Shortcuts app when it releases.
Al Bula
AG
I'm wondering when Apple will optimize the thumbnail photo cache. If you do any sort of photo management with you phone photos on a computer and sync back to your phone, the iPod Photo Cache (stored locally on the computer) quickly spirals out of control. 30GBs of photos spawns roughly 7GB of cached THUMBNAILS on the computer.

I don't care how much capacity hard drives have now, the thumbnail optimization for synced photos is piss poor. This looks like it is common to both macOS and Windows.
Al Bula
AG
Doesn't look like there's a Bluetooth indicator when it's on or off in ios 12.

Also I'm getting prompted to update the beta every damn time I unlock my phone. Was also getting this on the iOS 11 beta too. Looks like it is common to lots of folks based on the Apple forums.

Wildmen03
AG
RPM said:

Doesn't look like there's a Bluetooth indicator when it's on or off in ios 12.

Also I'm getting prompted to update the beta every damn time I unlock my phone. Was also getting this on the iOS 11 beta too. Looks like it is common to lots of folks based on the Apple forums.

Same here, I expect an update tomorrow fixing this.
bbattbq01
AG
The message is getting really annoying.... every time unlock phone now. First really annoying issue I've had since first public beta... so I can't complain!
Phat32
AG
Getting it as well. Obnoxious.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.