HDMI ethernet converter

1,176 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by eric76
vwbug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wanting a LAN line plugged into my tv for "wired-in" internet as opposed to wireless. I have a HDMI cord running through the wall to the location of my router. Can I purchase a hdmi to ethernet converter for both ends to turn that HDMI cord into a ethernet cable? If so, any recommendations?
adamsbq06
AG
if you dont need the HDMI tape some Cat5e to one end and pull it through
agdoc2001
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

if you dont need the HDMI tape some Cat5e to one end and pull it through
This.

You can run an HDMI signal over ethernet cable, but not vice versa. (I'm nearly certain)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
adamsbq06
AG
I think in theory its possible. HDMI cables can pass an internet connection through to devices but i think the switching is handled at the device.
AtlAg05
AG
Power line adapter is another option. You plug one in next to your router and run a cord from router to power line adapter. Then plug the other power line adapter near the TV, run the cord from it to the TV. It uses the electrical wires in your house.
vwbug
I'll do AdamsBQ06 suggestion, good idea.

Does in wall certified ethernet come in anything around 25 ft? I can only find 500-1000 ft online when looking.
boy09
AG
Power line adapters are magic as far as i'm concerned. Electricity is weird...
JSKolache
AG
Be sure your TV/box hardware can support the speeds you want via wired. I ran wire to my Roku and then figured out Wifi was faster. My box was limited to 100mb wired. Whomp.
akaggie05
AG
100 Mbps is overkill for anything you'll do on your TV anyway. An H.264 HD stream usually tops out around 6 Mbps.
lockett93
AG
If you are going to use the hdmi to pull the Ethernet, I'd pull the Ethernet through, then pull the hdmi through with extra Ethernet so you end up with both ....
kb2001
AG
vwbug said:

I'll do AdamsBQ06 suggestion, good idea.

Does in wall certified ethernet come in anything around 25 ft? I can only find 500-1000 ft online when looking.

You can order cables of nearly any length on monoprice.com

adamsbq06
AG
or just pull multiple Cat5e cables... you can alway send HDMI over Cat5
adamsbq06
eric76
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

or just pull multiple Cat5e cables... you can alway send HDMI over Cat5
If running cable through walls, don't use pre-made cables.

Use wall plates and Cat 6 connectors.

If you use cables, then you are limited to the length of the cable that you put in. If you put in the wall outlets, you can always find a wire long enough to go from the wall outlet to wherever you need it in the room.

Use the wall plates that you can snap in the connector. That way if you want to run something else as well, it is much simpler.

They are very easy to do, particularly if you have the right tool which you can get on-line or at Radio Shack. For that matter, if you live close enough, I'll loan you mine.

Here's the one I did last night:

The other end goes to a wiring panel.

Here is the tool and a connector.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.