Advise on Macbook

1,020 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got my daughter one a couple of years ago. It now has a screen issue where the left and bottom edges are black or pixilated.

I've been told by Apple that it's $400 to just look at it with no guarantee it can be fixed. Should I do this? Should I go to a non-apple place?

Or should I look for a refurbished one? I"m not buying her a new one because it's he fault she didn't take good care of it, but that's a diff topic.
Maroon_Liquid
Macarthur said:

Got my daughter one a couple of years ago. It now has a screen issue where the left and bottom edges are black or pixilated.

I've been told by Apple that it's $400 to just look at it with no guarantee it can be fixed. Should I do this? Should I go to a non-apple place?

Or should I look for a refurbished one? I"m not buying her a new one because it's he fault she didn't take good care of it, but that's a diff topic.
You can always order a new screen from ifixit and replace it yourself. I have done it on two 2012 Retina MacBook Pros. it isn't hard and cheaper.
Caesar4
AG
Whenever I do mac repairs, I usually start at macsales (formerly OWC). You could do a chat with them to see what parts they offer.

I did a quick search and see this display that *may* be what you're looking for, but it's nearly $400.
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/6617014/

Another thought is that you may be able to buy a broken model off of ebay, as long as the display works. Maybe you could salvage that one.

I'm in the middle of dealing with a faulty HDD cable on a mid-2012 macbook. In that model, the cable snakes around a lot and triggers failures. So, IMO, if it's a mid-2012 macbook, I wouldn't repair because that cable will likely fail at some point.

OWC/macsales also sells refurb'ed laptops (as does Amazon). I haven't explored that too much. Years ago, around 2010/2011, we bought a refurb macbook direct from Apple. It worked flawlessly and looked pristine for about 4 years, then the display started being wonky. You had to apply a slight twisting motion to it while grasping the top two corners to remove distortion/horizontal "static-looking" lines. Eventually, it quit working altogether.

If I can't get our mid-2012 macbook fixed, then I'll probably buy a new one for my wife, give my wife's to my daughter, and e-waste the mid-2012 one.
Caesar4
AG
Just took a quick look at ifixit. Seems that their displays are cheaper than macsales.
Macarthur
thanks.
aggieforester05
AG
Macarthur said:

What year is it? I had a 2015 that was delaminating. I contacted simplymac and they told me the purchase date. It was barely within the three year time frame that Mac is repairing screens for delamination issues. They fixed it for free in about two days.

Delamination
Macarthur
That's not my issue. I'm just past 4 years old
Caesar4
AG
Here's another option, but may not be what your daughter wants (after all, it is a laptop..i.e. portable).

Get an external monitor. Then, when she uses it at home, she always connects to the monitor via HDMI/min-display.
Caesar4
AG
Also, just wanted to add that while poking around earlier regarding your issue, I learned that there are microSD adapters that, with a microSD card may augment and/or supplant an internal hard disk. So, if an internal hard disk malfunctions (malfunctioning cable, in my case) of if you need more "attached" storage space, especially for one of the newer macbooks that cannot be upgraded, then maybe the microSD approach will work.

Interesting. I'll have to investigate a little more
https://www.amazon.com/aluminum-microSD-Adapter-MacBook-Non-Retina/dp/B00WQVK754/ref=lp_8298709011_1_2?srs=8298709011&ie=UTF8&qid=1529631467&sr=8-2
Stat Monitor Repairman
Macarthur said:

Go to the Apple store and buy your daughter a brand new MacBook pro with apple care protection.

Thats what Id do.

Tell her that its protected for 3 yrs and after that its on her.

A computer is a necessary part of modern life. Repairing 5 yr old machine aint worth it.
aggieforester05
AG
User name does not check out!
Stat Monitor Repairman
SMR has spoken and is the final authority on repair or replacement of monitors of all types.
Furlock Bones
AG
my 2008 MB pro is still kicking.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Same, but a 2008 Air.

Went through the same delimma as OP with a battery swap.

At the end of the day, repairing that old of a machine wasnt worth it. It still works great though.

Looking hard at an Ipad Pro or a new model Air when they come out.

Hard to justify either when the 2008 model is still kicking.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.